Pies.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
That does sound like a good pie. Fairly standard ingredients (for a good pie anyway, of course the majority of pies eaten by Australians are rubbish made out of gristle and bits of animals you don't want to know about) except for the tabasco.

Jigga-Scrooge said:
i know of a mince-meat (sp?) pie.
Yeah, that's right. It's better with chunks of steak, mince meat is cheap and usually horrible in a pie.

To make things more confusing, I've heard that the British say "mince pie" when they mean "fruit mince pie" or something. Don't know if that's true though.

myleftfoot

Diabloii.Net Member
dondrei said:
I've noticed while watching American TV that Americans appear to be largely unfamiliar with the meat pie. When people on it refer to "pie" they seem to always be talking about some kind of sweet dessert thing, apple pie or pumpkin pie (the latter of which was until recently unheard-of here) or something like that.

In Australia when you say "pie" people almost always assume you mean a meat pie. I've never heard anyone call an apple pie just a "pie", and the same goes for fruit mince pies (which are usually only eaten on Christmas) - that's about all the other kinds of pies I can think of. We don't really eat many sweet pies.

Anyway, I was wondering exactly how well-known the meat pie is in America (and Canada too while I'm at it). Are all pies in America sweet?
Pies of the australian type are very very very good!

Idalia Snoweyes

Diabloii.Net Member
I am a fan of the 'dinner' pies (Chicken, Beef, etc), though when someone mentions the word pie, I tend to think of Thanksgiving (Pumpkin Pie/Apple Pie) or Christmas (Chocolate-Graham Cracker Pie/Lemon Meringue).

While I had previoulsy known of 'meat pies' in other countries (And apparently, even my own!), I am now intriqued and will be seeking out these pies to sample them myself.

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
Up here in Toronto, we generally think of the sweet, fruity kind when someone just says "pie", but you can buy meat pies. I actually love them... easy to cook, just toss'em in the oven, and you can put some fries beside'em to make a nice, easy, bachelor's meal. Zero effort, in twenty minutes.

Our beef pies here have bits of veggies in them sometimes, too. Depends on which brand of pie you buy.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
ragnar_ii said:
I like shepherd's pie.
Me too, a good shepherd's pie is hard to come by though. I had a freshly made one from a proper chef once, that was beautiful.

quietus said:
Our beef pies here have bits of veggies in them sometimes, too. Depends on which brand of pie you buy.
Same. You can also buy various flavours, I used to like curry pies back in my bachelor days.

Thelioness

Diabloii.Net Member
I don't think I have ever had a proper meat pie. Even our pot pies are different than what you describe. Here pies are desserts. Apple, Cherry, Peach, Blueberry, Lemon, Chocolate, Banana, Coconut, Pecan...

Amra

Diabloii.Net Member
In New York City and I think Chicago, "pie" is nearly synonymous with saying pizza. It's all in the context I guess.

thegiantturtle

Diabloii.Net Member
dondrei said:
Does "chicken pot pie" really mean a pot pie? That is, one without a base (or sometimes apparently a base made out of flaky pastry, I've never seen that though).
I have never seen a traditional bottom pie crust on a chicken pot pie. It's also pretty rare to find a traditional bottom pie crust on any american pie. Pie's here have been continuously tending toward thinner and lighter crusts all around.

Amra

Diabloii.Net Member
dondrei said:
That one I never understood, how did "pie" come to mean pizza? Strange.
Are you serious?

Cooked the same, crust, filling, toppings......

dondrei said:
That one I never understood, how did "pie" come to mean pizza? Strange.
Its a pizza pie. So pizza is an adjective that describes the pie, "pizza pie" was later shortened to just pizza in most places and to pie in a few areas. Usually those are famous for a certain style of pizza, from my experience.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
HockeyChic said:
We have meat pies here commonly referred to as "Pasties". It's difficult to find a good one, best to do them homemade.
Oh no, pasties are a totally different thing. And then there's sausage rolls.

Amra said:
Are you serious?

Cooked the same, crust, filling, toppings......
What on earth? They're nothing alike. They aren't cooked the same, one is a dough rather than a pastry (it's more like bread than a pie), the fillings are totally different (never had a pepperoni and cheese pie)...

The Future now said:
Its a pizza pie. So pizza is an adjective that describes the pie, "pizza pie" was later shortened to just pizza in most places and to pie in a few areas. Usually those are famous for a certain style of pizza, from my experience.
I know, but how did "pie" get connected to pizza at all?

thegiantturtle

Diabloii.Net Member
dondrei said:
I know, but how did "pie" get connected to pizza at all?
I suspect someone made it, and then had to convince other people to eat it. Since it was round, I bet they started with, "it's kinda like a pie, but I changed x, y, and z."

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
HockeyChic said:
We have meat pies here commonly referred to as "Pasties". It's difficult to find a good one, best to do them homemade.

Homemade eh? I generally buy my meat pies at the store premade, 'cause it's easier, but I have weekends off and I've been looking to expand my horizons a bit, learn to cook things that aren't just stove-and-go. Happen to have a good recipe for meat pies around by any chance?