Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Picking out a new laptop

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mystik, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Mystik

Mystik IncGamers Member

Picking out a new laptop

Hi everyone!

I'm spending my last few months at home as I will be moving out at the end of the summer to attend university! I'm taking Space Engineering at York Univeristy if anyone is interested. Back to the point...

My parents said they will spend $1500-2000 cnd. on a laptop for me. I've never owned a laptop and I don't know much about them. I know lots about computers, I'm just kind of new to laptops. I need some help picking one out. It will be mostly for schoolwork, msn, email, etc; however, I was hoping to get one that I could still play games on. I don't know if this is true but I heard (a long time ago) that some kinds of laptops just suck for games but I'm clueless. Oh ya, I also need it to be wireless!

Could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

2. Chynobi

Chynobi IncGamers Member

What kind of games?

3. masterazn

masterazn Banned

I strongly recommend getting an apple laptop. I recently acquired one, switching from Windows was a blast, the system is very stable. I've only played Warcraft III on it so far, but mine sports a 128mb RADEON 9700 Mobility. It runs at 1.62Ghz and can hold a total of 2Gb of RAM. I think it does fine for games...and it's great for work and stuff.

4. Rius666

Rius666 IncGamers Member

An apple might not be a bad choice in the sense that they can definitely get the job done and are pretty user friendly. However know that if you are getting an apple you will pay more money for similar performance and also if you are into games at all the apple selection of games/compatible software for games is much more slim than the PC side. However if you only care about one or 2 games, such as wc3 then its up to u.

Whenever buying a laptop you want to know what you're gonna use it for b4 you buy it. Some questions u should ask yourself are:
    1. Is this going to be a desktop replacement?
    2. Am I going to be traveling a lot with this laptop?
    3. Besides accessing basic apps, email, games, what else am I going to use this laptop for?
    4. Am I willing to spend all 2000 and get the best laptop possible or do i want to just skim with the cheapest one i can get away with?
    5. Is upgradability a big factor?
    6. Does brand matter (ie Dell, Compaq, Toshiba, PC laptop vs Mac PB/iB)?
    7. Do I want to get a tablet laptop?

Those are just some questions that are important off the top of my head. Answer those and maybe we can get into a little more detail.

5. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Could you describe what your school work will be? A specific app? Just a big fancy calculator? Writing papers and research? What kind of games are you thinking?(Blizzard?)

After that you need to look at size, 12 inches is much to small for my line of work(graphics) but great for typing papers and other non-screen hogging apps. A 17 inch is a pain to carry around and the battery life sucks, the screen size is great though. A 15inch is a wonderful middleground.

Once you answer the questions I asked above, I can help point you in a better direction. Apple will be my first choice though.

6. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

A friend of mine just got a Dell XPS laptop for graduation, and that thiing outperforms my PC, which is no slouch itself. The only downside is it cost like 200 USD. Maybe you could make up the difference that your parents dont pay?

7. farting bob

farting bob Banned

I say dont waste your money on a widescreen one. The only time that comes as an advantage is when watching DVD's, and my friend who brought a WS laptop a year ago, hardly ever watches DVD's on it.
    So save yourself a bit of money, buy a normal laptop with slightly better specs, Id say get an apple one if you dont use many different programs or games, if you do, then for compatability issues, it would be better to get a normal laptop.

8. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Unless he is running a specific program that isn't on Mac then he should be fine. You can't tell where a word document came from, compatibility is really not an issue.

Wide screen is great for lots of things, if you are editing you have the space for palettes and you can have a resource page and your paper side by side.

9. Mystik

Mystik IncGamers Member

Sorry I havn't replied for a few days - been busy.

1. Yes
    2. On weekends, most likely just an hour away to my girlfriends or parents.
    3. Music is all I can think of right now
    4. I don't want a crappy cheap one but I don't really care for spending loads of money on a top of the line one... so average.
    5. Not quite sure yet. I don't even know what you can upgrade on a laptop.
    6. Brand doesn't really matter. Although I don't really prefer macs.
    7. Whats a tablet laptop? *googles*

I'm going into space engineering and I'm not quite sure what exactly I will be using it for other than typing. I will have a graphing calc so I won't really need the laptop for that. The games are mainly things like morrowind, the new morrowind (can't think of the name right now), maybe FFXI if I keep playing it... hmm what else...

10. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

If you're going into aerospace engineering, you very well might end up with several design programs like Autocad or maybe Ideas (if you get a bootleg version) and MATLAB. They don't require a whole lot of processing power, but it's something to think about.

11. krzyhobo

krzyhobo IncGamers Member

I agree. You may even want to contact someone in the department and ask if this is the case as it will change the priorities for your system. Most notably you'll want to splurge on a screen and video card that support higher resolutions.

12. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

RAM and hard drive, basically. You can use USB/firewire/PCMCIA cards to do some expansion if you need to, but beyond that you need to be adventurous to do things like put in a faster DVD burner. Your main things to think about are:

* What's used in your school/program of study, like people are saying above me.

* Whether you will be carting this thing around to classes and using it to take notes (in which case get a lightweight Centrino thing with long battery life), or leaving it locked to your desk most of the time and going mobile only rarely (in which case get a bigger, heavier, more powerful "desktop replacement" instead)

If you want to game the latter route will get you a better machine, probably. I wouldn't recommend getting a Mac unless you absolutely needed some Mac-only software (FCP for a film class or whatever).