Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Physics and real life

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Dutchman, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Dutchman

Dutchman IncGamers Member

Physics and real life

paging all physics geeks!

Could someone please explain to me the following rather peculiar everyday occurrence.

My wife is not tiny, she is about 6 inches shorter than I am. How is it possible that when I'm not paying attention I attempt to throw myself into the car, only to rebound with my hip off of the steering wheel on those occasions when I'm lucky enough not to catch my nutsack on the cruise control?

How the flying farg does 6 inches make the difference between sliding comfortably into my car and not even being able to fit in the car? The difference seems more like 3 feet than the difference in our height? Thinking back to my younger days, my shorter mother, and my shorter at the time self had the same issue, though her big old buick and its plush suits resulted in the occasional full rebound, driveway faceplant, but often resulted in finding myself nicely wedged between the seat and the wheel. In those days my nutsack often had the dubious distinction of sometimes setting off the horn. Its a small miracle I have kids.

Neither my mother or wife drives with their boobs, they appear to sit a normal distance back from the wheel. (unlike my mother in law, out of whose car I would likely fail to rebound, having my arse hit the wheel while still fully standing.)

I demand answer! I demand satisfaction! I demand no bruises on my arse that make my family doctor think I've been to prison!

Dutch

2. Bortaz

Bortaz Banned

Ergonomically designed women.

3. LorveN

LorveN D3 Off Topic Moderator

Women are known to be 'curvy', and since you need to make a curvy move to get out, they are more able to do it. It's natural for them.

Bortaz just used another way to say it.

4. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

its not always the height, sometimes it has to do with the width

5. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

Another baffling thread.

6. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

I'm not small, but I've never actually bounced back out of the car while attempting to get in it. Are you sure you're doing it right?

7. WarlockCC

WarlockCC Diablo Classic Moderator

You shouldn't get into a car 'Dukes'-style.

Did the good old boys have a stickshift ? Cause I can imagine that leading to some painfull DVD-extra's.(I haven't seen this new incarnation I read about yet, I was referring to the original ones.)

8. Idalia Snoweyes

Idalia Snoweyes IncGamers Member

I have always had the displeasure of owning small cars, mostly due to the fact that I buy whatever has the best mileage/cheapest sticker/lowest insurance premiums (GoGo being frugal)... while I have never bounced out of a car, I always have a hell of a time getting out of them, mostly due to the fact that I am constantly smacking my head off of the roof when attempting to stand and/or failing to open the door... entirely unrelated, but I too, am retarded when it comes to occupying a space in a car.

As for entering a car, Duke-Style... did we learn nothing from that episode of Family Guy?

9. Dutchman

Width is not the issue, both ladies are thin, as am I.

For those unfamiliar with the concept of creative embellishment, I have actually only truly bounced off the wheel to land in the driveway twice, and those in my teenage days when you seem to be unable to sit down in any other manner than the sack of potatos flop. The reality is simply a perrenially bruised hip.

Now which version sounded better? :D

Dutch

10. llad12

llad12 IncGamers Member

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Word of advice Dutch: watch where you are going.

11. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

Donny, it's like where you jump onto your kangaroo but instead land on the little joey that's prancing around its mom.

Err, maybe it's not exactly like that.

12. ModeratelyConfused

ModeratelyConfused Banned

I think bouncing off your wheel twice is two times too many. But maybe I've gotten into cars like an old fogey my who life.

13. Dondrei

Dondrei IncGamers Member

You ride on the back, not in the pouch. Sheesh.

14. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

I said onto, not into. Sheesh.

15. Thelioness

Thelioness IncGamers Member

I have had that problem when getting my car back from service. Left a good sized bruise on my hip and hurt like heck.

I think it depends on the difference in the length of your legs, not in total height. You can have two people of the same height but one has to sit closer because one has a long torso, but shorter legs.

16. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

Often times with calls for the fire dept - usually ambulance calls where people drive their vehicles directly to the scene and meet the ambulance there - we have to drive one anothers vehicles back to the station. See, Joe may drive his truck to the scene, then ride in the ambulance to the hospital. Rather than leave his truck at the scene, we shuttle it back to the fire hall so it's there when he comes back on the ambulance.

I have this thing I always do. When I drive their vehicles, before I get out, I move the seat as far forward as it will go. It's a hoot to see them try and get in it later. Or if I don't see it, I hear about it. Fun times.

17. Dutchman

Perhaps the women in my life are just rampant practical jokers? An intriguing possibilty Mr. Dave. Do your co-workers say they have been Daved by any chance?

I might have to measure my wife's legs to test out Ness's theory, either that, or measure the circumference of my waist and add an estimate for locked ankles and feet. :D

Dutch

18. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

nah. It's all in good fun.

If I really wanted to "Dave" them I'd hide their keys somewhere in the office.

19. Ariadne

Ariadne IncGamers Member

Maybe you have longer legs? Something like that. You can both be of a similar length but if it's all divided differently then it still makes a difference in how you adjust a chair.

20. Amra

Amra IncGamers Member

A husband and wife should share neither a car or a computer.

That just needed saying.