Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

physical resistance

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by YayNoCops, Jun 2, 2005.

1. YayNoCops

YayNoCops IncGamers Member

physical resistance

Does anyone know if diamonds increase any resistances besides fire, cold, electricity and poison i.e. physical? It seems to good to be true but I thought I’d at least ask. How can you improve your physical resistance?

2. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

Diamonds only do cold/lightning/fire/poison res.

Physical resistance is called "damage reduced by x%", and comes on various uniques/sets. It is capped at 50% with no way to raise that cap, and it does not suffer the resistance penalty in nightmare and hell.

3. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Shaftstop and Stormshield are the two highest sources of PDR from a single item. Diamonds also do nothing againt pure magic damage like a bonemancers bonespear spell or Blessed Hammer. It's a pretty rare monster that attacks with pure magic though. Any time you see resist all it meanst fire/lightning/ice/poison only.

4. Rehsa

Rehsa IncGamers Member

i heard someone saying that DR is capped at 100% in PvP and 75% on PvM... no clue where they got that from...

5. SirDooFuss

SirDooFuss IncGamers Member

Besides physical damage reduction, a good blocking shield and high defense helps a lot too.
    NEVER heard of the 100% and 75% figures.
    Note that getting hit with a Amplify Damage curse will completely negate any physical damage reduction you might have.

6. Oscuro

Oscuro IncGamers Site Pal

Not quite, it will just reduce your physical resistance by 100. Let's say you're wearing this gear:

Stormshield (Ber) 43%
    Shaftstop (Ber) 38%
    Crown of Ages (BerBer) 31%
    String of Ears (15%)
    Crainte Vomir (10%)
    ====================
    Total 137%

You could be hit with Amplify Damage and still have a beefy 37% physical damage reduction, though when not amped this setup is rather excessive.

7. YayNoCops

YayNoCops IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the info guys!

But I thought of another resistance question:

Does 100% resistance to element X mean you take 0 damage from that element (assuming there's nothing that would reduce your resistances like cold mastery or curses)?

8. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

Last I heard, Elemental resistances are capped at 95% so although you could have 100% or more on-item resistances, only 95% would be effective. If you had a good combination of absorb and resists then you could successfully negate elemental damage, but not with just resistances.

(The max for resistances is 75% but you can increase it with +%max resistance items)

Physical damage reduced is capped at 50%, although like Osc mentioned, if you stack the reduction, you can successfully negate amplify damage.

9. Pherdnut

Pherdnut IncGamers Member

Stacking elemental resistance is also helpful in PvP since the full amount counts against -resists. You might only resist at 75%, but if you had 300% resist items they would have to have -226% in items/abilities to make your resists drop from 75 to 74. Paladins ignore extra resists with conviction, however, since Conviction sets the max resist level lower rather than actually negating resistance.

There is no way to get resists above 95% but you can combine with absorb items to make yourself immune to an element.