Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Physical Immunity

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by aznanarchy6969, Feb 20, 2004.

1. aznanarchy6969

aznanarchy6969 IncGamers Member

Physical Immunity

I've read some guides for skellimancers and some said that Amplify Damage puts the monsters at -100 Physical Resistance so that removes the physical immunity. Others have said that Lower Resist removes any immunity. I'm really confused on the subject. Which curse, if any, removes Physical Immunity?

2. Teufelskreis

Teufelskreis IncGamers Member

I haven't played much, but here's what I've noticed:

Amplify Damage and Decrepify will take away physical resist.

Lower Resist will take away an elemental resist, unless it is a monster attribute, e.g.: Duriel's cold immunity. If a monster has two immunities, e.g.: cold and lightning, LR will take away one of these.

3. FattyMcGee

FattyMcGee IncGamers Member

Amp Dmg does subtract 100% of the monster's phys resistance, but if the monster is already "physical immune" (has 100% or more phys resist), then amp damage still works on them, but only at 1/5 effectiveness. so here are some examples as to how amp dmg works:

1. Monster with 0% physical resistance, when amped has -100% phys resist (you'll do 2x damage with a physical attack)

2. Monster with 50% physical resistance, when amped has -50% phys resist (you'd do 3x damage of what you'd normally do to this monster with a physical attack)

3. Monster with 100% physical resistance (i.e. a PI monster), when amped has 80% physical resist (works at 1/5 effectiveness, so brings it down 20%)

4. Monster with over 120% physical resistance (some uniques in hell spawn with this), when amped are still at over 100% phys resist, so they aer still physical immune, and won't be hurt by physical attacks.

Lower resist works in the same way as amp damage, although its' capped at -61% to resists instead of 100, AND lower resist ONLY LOWERS ELEMENTAL RESISTANCES> It will lower cold, lightning, fire, and poison resists, but NOT magic or physical. Here are some examples of how lower resist works:

1. monster has 0% lighting res, when LRed will have -61% lightning res

2. monster has 50% lightning res, when LRed will have -11% lightning res

3. monster has 100% lightning res (lightning immune monster), when LRed will have **% lightning res (61 / 5 = 12.2%, and 100-12 = **)

4. monster has 112% lightning res OR MORE, when LRed will still have 100% or more lightning res, therefore lightning attacks will still do no damage to this monster.

(I gave all the examples using lightning, but it works the same for fire, cold and poison)

Decrepify works in the same way also, but it only lowers physical resistance, and only by 50% instead of amp's 100%. So therefore, 1/5 of 50% is 10%, and so decrep only makes the monster lose it's Physical immunity if the monster originally had between 100-109% physical resistance.

*Note* there are only a few skills in the game that will take away immunities. Conviction and the curses are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. and all those skills work at 1/5 effectiveness when acting upon an immunity.

--fatty

4. aznanarchy6969

aznanarchy6969 IncGamers Member

Thanks guys.

5. JoJeck

JoJeck IncGamers Member

FattyMcGee, congratualtions on a very clear explanation of AD, Decrepify and LR and how they deal with resistances and immunities. Nice worked examples too. It is the best I've seen to date :thumbsup:

One question however, you say LR is capped at -61%. Where did you get that from? The Arreat Summit has a level 20 LR giving -62% and I assumed that it would go lower still with enough plus skill items / charms, even if with a dreadful amount of diminishing returns.

6. Muffassa

Muffassa IncGamers Member

what happens if a monster with 120 physical resistance is under the effect of both conviction and amp damage? is the resistance broken or not? :scratch:

7. belth

belth IncGamers Member

slvl21 Lower Resist, radius 18 yards, duration 60 seconds, lowers resistances by 63%. Only cap is bringing something down to -100% resist.

8. Vizier

Vizier IncGamers Member

I think you meant to say 3/2 as much damage (eg +50% more damage), not 3x. Nice post BTW! I'll bookmark this for future questions :thumbsup: