Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Physical damage TANK?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by PhoenixCRO, May 28, 2005.

1. PhoenixCRO

PhoenixCRO IncGamers Member

Physical damage TANK?

Ok, tired of all those elemental, semi-elemental etc builds. I want a sword, axe or something :)

Basically, what is the best _melee_ character to roam Hell level (and possibly MF hopefully)? Damage has to be physical (possible switch with elemental damage). I have no problem with running away from PIs, this build is supposed to be fun, not must-kill-every-last-monster.

Hopefully some character that doesnt need to run away n massively use potions (hence, tank).

Some of the possibilities im wondering about:
    -werewolf
    -werebear
    -barb (well, which one heh)
    -paladin (hmm no hammerdin pls)
    - ?

Assassins seem to fragile to me, but correct me if im wrong.

So.... what would ur choice be?

2. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

A werewolf! Nice physical damage and life. Can also attack very quickly with the right weapon, which is always nice. You can even use the IK maul+set for good elemental damage. He's probably not so much suited for MF, but most melee characters aren't ideal for that kind of thing...maybe a barbarian with Find Item...Or get the best of 2 worlds a wolfbarb.

3. Zertuals_Ovrlrd

Zertuals_Ovrlrd IncGamers Member

Zealot is a good choice for a melee character that can be excelent in Hell with the right gear. Maybe not so much of a tank in the traditional sense (no huge life pool), but if he doesn't die he's still a tank IMO.

A good, less main-stream choice is a Berzerker barb. They are very fun to play and excelent tanks. I suggest reading NightFish's guide.

I don't know much about the druid wereforms, but I'm sure they could be very good as well.

Z_O

4. farting bob

farting bob Banned

something with wirts legs would be ideal, failing that, barbs have many fun builds to choose from, and pallys the same. druids are teh suxx0r.

5. FodderCannoned

FodderCannoned IncGamers Member

fanatic zealot if you have a big stick already, but they are pretty slow going if you dont have a good weapon, although most these builds are slow going without a good weapon, but werebuilds are nice because you don't need a shield, so you can go 2 handed weapon for more damage

6. Toppo

Toppo IncGamers Member

WW IK Barbie. Can tank, inflict physical and elemental damage, can even mf (he's not the sorc though) but downside is the equipment if you don't have it :D

Conc barb is a "good" option tankwise, but IMO just too boring.

7. Liliel

Liliel IncGamers Member

Fallen Paladin
    Max Zeal
    Max Sacrifice
    1 Holy Shield (you need dex anyway, so don't put too many pts)
    Max Holy Bolt
    Max FoH
    Remainder in Blessed Hammer

Wear Guillaman's Face, Goreriders and Astreon's Iron Ward, and you'll be doing crushing blow with pretty much every hit. And on the rare occasion that you don't, with Highlord's you'll probably do deadly strike anyway.

8. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

Get a zealot with dracul's, short of FE/IM you are unkillable.

You know it's getting really really old that you say that every bloody time someone ask for something, even good jokes get old after a couple of times, and this is not even a good one.

9. farting bob

farting bob Banned

*kicks shins, blames durf*
    </Off Topic>

10. Amiral

Amiral IncGamers Member

GOGO zealot! :clap:

really, they are good... but mainly so if you are rich enough to make them have nice gear, like:

List of the super-equipment, best skill point allocation and stat point the same of a Zealot with Fanatiscism as main aura.

Equipment:

Main Weapon: Ethereal Stormlash socketed with "Zod".
    Main Shield: Herald of Zakarum socketed with a "Scintillating Jewel of Fervor".
    Switch Weapon: Call to Arms, in a Divine Scepter.
    Switch Shield: Lidless Wall with a Lum inside.
    Armor alternative 1: Upgraded Guardian Angel socketed with "Scintillating Jewel of Freedom".
    Armor alternative 2: Levathian, same socket as in Guardian Angel.
    Armor alternative 3: Arkaine's Valot, socketed with "Jah".
    Belt alternative 1: Upgraded String of Ears.
    Belt alternative 2: Thundergod's Vigor.
    Belt alternative 3: Verdungu's Hearty Coil.
    Helm: Crown of Ages socketed with; "(Rare Jewel) Crimson, Realgar, Shimmering, of; Bliss, Freedom, Burning", "(Rare Jewel) Crimson, Realgar, Shimmering, of; Bliss, Freedom, Icicle".
    Glove alternative 1: Soul Drainer.
    Glove alternative 2: Upgraded Lavagout.
    Glove alternative 3: Dracul's Grasp.
    Boots: Upgraded Gore Rider.
    Amulet alternative 1: Seraph's Hymn.
    Amulet alternative 2: Cresent Moon.
    Amulet alternative 3: Atma's Scarab.
    Amulet alternative 4: Mara's Kladiescope.
    Ring 1: Raven Frost.
    Ring 2, alternative 1: Rare ring, with the mods: "Platinum, Glowing, Scintillating, of; the Mammoth, Lamprey, Regrowth".
    Ring 2, alternative 2: Rare ring, with the mods: "Platinum, Glowing, Scintillating, of; the Mammoth, Lamprey, Vampire".
    Ring 2, alternative 3: Bul Katho's Wedding Band.

Inventory:
    Tome of Town Portal.
    Keys.
    5 Captain's Grand Charm of Vita.
    3 Red Small Charm of Vita.
    3 Shimmering Small Charm of Vita.
    Antidote potion.

Skills:

20 Zeal
    20 Fanaticism
    20 Holy Shield
    15 Sacrifice
    10 Defiance
    5 Vengeanze
    5 Conviction
    1 Redemption
    14 Pre-required skill points (skill points that is required to in the skill trees reach the skills that will have more skillpoints in them.

Stats:

Strenght: 150 (175)
    Dexterity: 125 (145)
    Vitality: 300 (320)
    Energy: 15

The number inside () is the value when all items are equiped.

Final Life:2683 (not sure, not tested in-game)

Final plus to skills: Switch 1: to +4 all skills: 2 from Seraph's Hymn, 1 from Crown of Ages, 1 from Battle Command on Call to Arms.
    +3 to all paladin skills: +2 from Herald of Zakarum, +1 from Guardian Angel.
    +2 Combat Skills (HoZ)
    +5 Offensive Auras (Grand charms)
    +2 Defensive Auras (Seraph's)

Switch 2: +6 to all skills: +1 from BC on CtA, +1 from CtA, +1 from Liddless Wall, +2 from Seraph's Hymn, +1from CoA.
    +5 Offensive Auras (Grand charms)
    +2 Defensive Auras (Seraph's)

Final resistance: 190.

Final Damage Reduced by 30%.

Final Attack speed with Zeal is 4 Frames Per Attack.

The "Final X" is with the first alternative of all those which are given.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Mercenarie:
    Defiance Aura Mercenarie, bought in act 2 normal.

Equipment:
    Weapon alternative 1: Ethereal Tomb Reaver, socketed Amn+Amn+Amn.
    Weapon alternative 2: Ethereal Reaper's Toll, socketed with a 40 Enhanced Damage / 15 increased attack speed jewel.
    Armor alternative 1: Ethereal Guardian Angel, socketed with a "(Rare Jewel) Bone, Crimson, Realgar, of; Bliss, Icicle, Burning".
    Armor alternative 2: Ethereal Shaftstop, socketed ......... .
    Helm alternative 1: Ethereal Vampire Gaze, socketed with a "perfect Ruby".
    Helm alternative 2: Delerium in a Corona.

With Tombreaver and Fanaticism, the final Break Point for act 2 mercenaries attacks is reached.

Final Resistance is 190.

Final Damage Reduce is 20%.

Final Life: 3995.

:lol: As if someone except stroodle would ever be able to do that.

EDIT: oh, and thats only MY opinion...

11. linkato1

linkato1 Banned

12. JihadJesus

JihadJesus IncGamers Member

I'll point you towards an idea I had for a somewhat off beaten path Tank barb. Mind you, I haven't leveled him enough to know how well it works yet, but the idea sure is cool...check it out here

13. PhoenixCRO

PhoenixCRO IncGamers Member

;)

Well, see, problem is, i dont have godly equipment. I can mule through normal and NM, but i miss those endgame weapons n stuff, most of it. Yes im aware that physical damage characters r a lot dependant on gear, but im sure i can do something with the items i already have. Or try get new ones.. So yea, its nice to read about cool equiped characters, but in reality, you cant go n say 'this one is cool if u can afford Zod, Zakarum....' .. well i doubt i can ;) but i'll try compensating.

I have started one recently, but didnt have time then to play more. Atm i dunno, i find it ok, i think it can be nice, but there's just something... missing. U know how one finds some characters boring even tho they r actually good in d game :)

*faints*

;)

lmao, that guide is hilarious, a guy has nice sense of humor :)

14. Derrick1001

Derrick1001 IncGamers Member

Werebear is the best "Tank" character I've ever made. Zealots are badass, but they depend on their offense heavily. A Werebear can get wailed on and have no troubles :) .

15. TheNix

TheNix IncGamers Member

I agree with D1001, the werebear is a real tank. I have a single tree WB in 1.09 and I have over 3100 hp as a WB, I also have a Defiance merc so my AC is very good. The Shock Wave skill adds to the tanks ablilites and it is not a build heavily dependant on items. The major downside is that it is VERY SLOW, both in attack speed and run speed. If you can put up with the downside it's a great tank.

16. Zarhrezz

Zarhrezz IncGamers Member

2-handed major damage Tiger Strike assassin should at least be mentioned when it comes to dealing physical damage...take NFs Ribcrackersin for example.

17. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

conc barb... 20 ww, 20 conc, 20 mastery, 20 BO, 1 berserk, rest in conc sinergies and shout / battle comand

uber tank :) needs a big hurty weapon though

18. Gouda

Gouda IncGamers Member

When trying to build a tank why not dump the 20 points from WW in shout. Reach 50 K defense, max resists, 75% block and 3K life. (With some high level gear, 35K defense is probably more realistic). You'll have to rely on crushing blow to do damage, but not much will hit you.

Gouda

19. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Naked dentist!

* blames Farting Bob *

20. Asmodeous

Asmodeous IncGamers Member

Well, this is durf we are talking about, so I don't think there are many items he doesn't have access too!

1). Iron barb. Check out my guide linked in alter ego's sticky. Basically, a unkillable tank that can even deal with Im curse. great hard corer. Only disadvantage is slow killing speed but that depends on how much hurt you have in his stick.
    2). Zealot. fanatism and a good one hander. Mandatory 8/4 fps attack speed. Dracul's grasp or 20% + life leech and shield block/good defence makes them pretty tough. Only real drawback is they go down in record time from Im.
    3). Druids. Ask Liq about this one! pretty similar to a zealot except you are trading off defence and shield blocking for more damage and hit points for survivability.
    4). IK barb. Very viable in hell. easily kills PI on low players setting from the set mods. The set pretty much sets the character up completely, resists, pdr, leechs so you add some sweetener jewellry and equip your merc. If you dont have the soul cage, you can twist my arm for a long term loaner.

Another good way for melee class's to deal with PI's is the reapers toll pole arm on the merc. that way you can go for ias gloves like LoH if your trying to get your attack speed up for zeal or fury.