Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Photoshop vs. Paint Shop Pro

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Professor Blasto, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Professor Blasto

Professor Blasto IncGamers Member

Photoshop vs. Paint Shop Pro

Well, as you can proabably tell, I'm looking into getting one of these, I assume, fine programs. The only problem is, I don't know the difference between them. I have Flash MX Professional 2004 and I need a program that would be good to create images for that (backgrounds and such). Also, I will be using it to augment images that I will take with a soon-to-be-purchased digital camera. Please tell me any problems that you have had with either program and the benifits of them. I will use your comments to help me in my decision.

2. Kawaii

Kawaii IncGamers Member

You will want to *coughdownloadcough*, er, i mean buy Photoshop. Nothing else comes close to challenging it, IMO.

3. ~Kazama Fury~

~Kazama Fury~ IncGamers Member

Photoshop for sure.

The only reason that I would want paint shop pro is for their mass conversion tool.

4. Professor Blasto

*coughifoundagoodsitetodothatcough* *coughitswhereigotflashmxcough*
    *coughwhileimtherecough* I can also get 3ds Max 7 (3D Studio Max), JBuilder 2005 v11.0 Enterprise, McAfee VirusScan 8.0 Professional Full, Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004, Macromedia Fireworks MX 2004, and Winamp PRO 5.07. So, there, that along with what I've mentioned.

5. Peregrine

Peregrine IncGamers Member

And a ban for requesting illegal software? Maybe you should edit that post before anyone sees it.

If you were actually going to buy it, I'd say Paint Shop Pro, as it's cheaper and almost as good. Either one will work, it's mostly a question of artist preference.

6. Professor Blasto

I never requested illegal software. Maybe you misread? I requested your input on the difference and reliability of those two programs.

edit: So, sticking to the topic of discussion, I still haven't made a decision.

(What's with the edit button disappearing?)

7. Technetium

Technetium IncGamers Member

If I remember correctly, Wacom drawing tablets are made especially to work with the Photoshop tools. I don't know if PSP is the same way or not (you can still move the mouse, of course, but I don't know if you'll get the same pressure sensitivity effect). So if you ever plan to get/use one of those, I'd go with Photoshop.

8. P2blr

P2blr IncGamers Member

personally I prefer PSP, I've used photoshop a few times at scholl and didn't much like it. to me psp is a bit easier to "get"
    although I'll still recommend photoshop just because of the famousness of it; if everyone likes about it, something's gotta be right.

9. Peregrine

They work with PSP. The pressure effects might not be exactly the same, since I haven't tried it with photoshop, but you can set the pressure to affect brush opacity/size/etc.

10. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Actually you won't get the same gradients in pressure if you do it that way unless you know the trick, which is tough to do even when you know how to do it. WACOM pads are very useful, wish I could afford one. . .

Photoshop is what I do all my work(mostly web) in. All my designer buddies use Photoshop. I would say get Photoshop(and a Mac to run it).

I am pretty sure Ev_ would recommend it too.

11. Peregrine

What trick is there? When I'd been borrowing a tablet, I'd had no problem getting the pressure sensitivity to work fine.

12. blu3l1ghtn1ng

blu3l1ghtn1ng IncGamers Member

I feel the way about PS as the poster above. I like PSP just because of the way its set up, and I personally find it easier to understand and work with. I feel comfortable with it. If you really want to buy/download it, before you invest time into it download a demo which takes about a minute as a pose to an hour.

13. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

Indeed I would. :)

There's a reason Photoshop is hard to "get"...it's a professional tool. I've been using it for years and I still don't know everything in it. I've never used PSP, so I can't compare the two, but Photoshop is absolutely one of the greatest pieces of software out there. There's a reason it's #1.