Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Phoenix Assassin Questions.

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Kretschmer, May 20, 2005.

1. Kretschmer

Kretschmer Diabloii.Net Member

Phoenix Assassin Questions.

A friend of mine is playing a phoenix assasin to my venomancer in an untwinked duo. I know a bit about my role but lack experience with anything but a lightning trapper. A few questions off the top of my head:

-How does one get just one phoenix charge in a claw-claw setup? When he attacks he gets one charge per claw (2). The meteor charge seems to be all the rage for single-target damage. Will he have to weapon swap to get just one charge?

-In claw-claw the chargeup is released twice (once per claw), no?

-How does phoenix strike scale into hell?

-Right now I'm planning on max poison skills, one in each non-AI curse, with the remainder in SM and revive for tanking and (with might/thorns mercs) a bit of extra damage. What can I do to play to a MA assassin's strengths; how can I help to mitigate weaknesses?

-Right now I'm envisioning the use of PN to weaken a screen full of enemies while he darts from pocket to pocket finishing them off with a quick charge and release. Is this realistic?

-Any tips?

2. Naliworld

Naliworld Diabloii.Net Member

PS only utilizes the right-hand claw(as a result, left-hand claw damage doesn't matter, just tack on +skills there), and even when C/C, if you click once, you will still only receive one charge.

PS scales decently into Hell. It goes without saying that you will need at around 15 synergy points in the related charge type(i.e. FoF for the Meteor charge), with preferably 7-10 +skills, unless you plan to use it tactically(i.e. using the Chaos Orb charge only to freeze monsters).

Lower Resist will probably be the best all-round curse for your friend's Assassin. If he's in trouble, Life Tap interpersed with Terror will probably be the best fix(hopefully he'll come across a decent damage claw to switch to in emergencies). Or, if damage isn't a problem, Attract could be pretty useful to cause a bunch of monsters to clump together, making it easy for your friend to Chaos Orb/Mindblast them. Stay away from Decrepify/Amplify Damage, the only time his physical damage will become important is if he needs to leech urgently(and Assassins have plenty of crowd control skills).

Do also note that Cloak of Shadows counts as a curse in regards to curse overwriting. So if for example your friend casts CoS and you cast Lower Resist on one of the monsters, the CoS 'blinding' effect as well as the defense penalty will be gone. And since Assassins cannot recast CoS until the original duration runs out(it is not tied to whether the curse is active on a monster or not), this overwriting could be deadly, as he could be smack dab in the middle of a huge mob attempting to trigger a Chain Lightning when you overwrite the CoS with another curse. CoS is superior to Dim Vision(as it affects the whole screen plus a few yards, defense penalty for monsters and defense bonus for Assassin) except in regards to recasting, so you should not overwrite CoS with that curse.

There are various ways to work around this "feature":
    1) You could ask him to rely more on MB, this has the added side effect of converting monsters when they're about to die, a very irritating occurence
    2) Keep Lower Resist to a low level so that the AoE radius only affects monsters adjacent to your friend, but I doubt this is an option for you as a Venomancer. Instead, you could aim your cursor some distance from the mob so the large AoE of LR will only affect the fringes of the group. While it may not help your friend much if he's far away from the LR'ed monsters, it will increase your damage while causing minimal disruption to your friend.
    3) I'm not completely sure on the mechanics of Attract, but it it only affects one critter, it may be able to get around this "feature". It could act as a safety net should your friend's CoS be mistimed.
    4) I'm sure there are more workable solutions out there.

-Right now I'm envisioning the use of PN to weaken a screen full of enemies while he darts from pocket to pocket finishing them off with a quick charge and release. Is this realistic?

Pretty much correct, though if he's confident with Assassins, he may probably want to charge right into the heart of the group(aided by CoS, MB and minions, of course) to deal the most damage with Chain Lightning or Chaos Orb. You could help him along the way by Attracting monsters close to him so he can quickly CoS and release his AoE attacks effectively.

PS. Please excuse any typos or grammatical errors, I'm half asleep right now...

3. Grobyc

Grobyc Diabloii.Net Member

1.) He will have to wear one claw (or any other type of weapon) as opposed to dual claws to get 1 charge. That or he could wear dual claws, except he'll have to miss with one of the hits which isn't very practical.

2.) The charge up is released only once. If it was a released charge for each claw, it would absolutely rock, but it doesn't.

3.) Not sure how well Phoenix Strike works for Hell, I'm planning to make the Chaos Orb one as well.

Some people have had great successes with wearing weapon/shield and dropping Meteors every other hit (Phoenix Strike then normal attack), it is cool to see the sky rain fire too :).

I've tried Chaos Lightning in the past and it is great in open areas, but when there are walls/pillars, it stops the lightning in its tracks and it doesn't come back to hit the enemy again or from reaching other enemies.

Chaos Orb freezes most enemies in the screen making it a more safer use, the only problem with this is that you will need to wear dual claws to charge up quickly because it will require two swings, this will also allow you to miss 1 out of your 4 claw attacks. Using a single weapon, it will require at least 3, more if you miss.

As Naliworld has explained, your curses will overwrite his Cloak of Shadows. So you could do what he suggested or your other option is to decide whether he wants your curse(s) more or Cloak of Shadows more. But generally speaking, your Lower Resist should be stronger since it helps the both of you.

4. Kretschmer

Kretschmer Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for the amazingly well-thought out and written posts!

Just one quick bit of clarification (since there was some disagreement): Does PS operate differently, creating just one charge ball per attack?

5. ilkori

ilkori Diabloii.Net Member

Yep. Phoenix Strike only charges with once claw (your character's right hand), so you don't get the double-ball action going like CoT/FoF/BoI. That's how any build uses PS's first charge to attack bosses.