Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Pheonix striker questions

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by RealmOftheWolf, Jul 18, 2010.

1. RealmOftheWolf

RealmOftheWolf IncGamers Member

Pheonix striker questions

Need a little help making my mind up on the sockets for my Phoenix Striker so ill guess ill start by listing my current gear.

My gear so far

2 Assassin skills 30 Faster Run/Walk 20 dex 20 all res circlet(Clean)
    Bartucs(Clean)
    Bartucs(Clean)
    Treachery (Switching to CoH)
    LoH (switching to 2 MA 20 ias Str gloves when I can find a decent pair)
    Arach mesh
    Shadow dancers
    Maras
    Raven + BK

Torch + Anni

Skills
    20 Blades of Ice
    20 Claws of Thunder
    20 Fists Of Fire
    20 Phoenix strike
    1 Dragon Claw
    1 all prerequisites

1 to all Shadow disiplines except Venom,Fade, mind blast.

Break points Hit
    4 Frame - 86 FHR
    14 Frame cast - 16
    Other stats
    60 FR/W

Now I was figuring out what my best sockets would be long term after I finish getting my charms/Gloves ect.

I can either adapt the sockets so that I use Burst of speed as active aura in which case UM runes/15 all resists jewels in all the sockets and use Burst of speed but resists are easily gotten from charms compared to IAS.

Or Adapt to using Fade as main aura in which case I get a lot of damage reduction easy resists and curse length reduction in which case Sheal the primary Burtuc 20 ias gloves and a 15 ias jewel in circlet would put me at ,

6 Frame BoI/CoT/FoF/DC
    8 Frame PS

Which are 1 full frame slower than what Burst of speed could give me.

Is the sacrifice in Resists/DR worth it for 1 frame?

Next order of business.;

My mercenary
    What aura should I use as Ive pretty much ruled out, Defiance,Prayer,Thorns,Blessed aim as being entirely useless when I factor in Conviction and 5k AR.

So leaves me Might or Holy freeze. Which would be better.

And to skills Im going to have around 10 skills by the time I stop leveling so what would benefit me the most considering I can prebuff all shadow skills to 19. Venom doesn't seem needed considering I am proficient in 3 types of damage and have a good physical back up for those impossible triple immunes after conviction.

The only options seem to be fade for the extra damage reduction and barely extra resists or Shadow master which I dont know if the extra points will be worth it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Re: Pheonix striker questions

I recommend keeping Treachery.

If you keep it, the IAS on that and on the gloves is 65. You only need 60 to hit a 7 frame PS. It also lets you have Fade and Venom for free (15 DR). The res is roughly the same as a CoH anyway. Both skills boost PS equally. You sacrifice DR and speed to get only the 5 res from CoH.

DClaw will be at 12 Frames (6 per claw). With your suggestion, it'd be at 13.

An IAS jewel in the helm with Treachery would get you an 11 Frame DClaw.

For skills, maybe Claw Mastery for AR and phys (helps leech).

3. RealmOftheWolf

Switching to CoH would give far more dr/Resists with the ability to use a level 19+ Fade which would stack with CoH.

Thanks for your advice I think I will go with my original armour.

Sheal Primary Bartuc (20 ias) In a rich world (15/15 obviously to save on charms)
    Treachery (45 ias)
    MA rares (20 ias)

Resists will be a little off maxed....without charm use but ill see if the speed is worth it.

4. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

The problem is, you'd have to put points in Fade (not much with your + skills) to get 19+. With Treachery, you're faster and it's free.

If you Shael the claw, the other claw and the helm can have res Jewels. Using CoH only gives you ~9-10 res (5 from CoH and ~4-5 from a level 19+ Fade vs 15 Fade.)

5. RealmOftheWolf

Well the only thing id get is a little extra DR so yeah the best option is treachery(also the cheapest) convincing me throughly works alot better although my res is lacking due to unfinished sockets.

6. Ghoulz

Ghoulz IncGamers Member

You forget all the other good mods that CoH offers.

7. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

Not really. The MF isn't working with the rest of the gear, he has str already to wear the Dancers, the ED% will only be beneficial with stronger claws, more phys focus (DClaw and Claw Mastery), leech is covered already and the rep life is small.

All at the cost of being faster, having free fade and venom, and you even net more cold res and FHR.

8. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

I'm with Sass on the CoH/Treachery issue. That said, I really like Nat's set for Phoenix Strikers. The DR and resists let you use BoS and the claw has ITD. Perfect.

I don't think shadow dancers are very beneficial to this build. You already have enough FHR from 2x Bartuc's, Shadow skills are not important, so all you get is a chunk of Dext that is ofset by a huge strength investment. I would use tri-resist rares personally, or if not Nat's Boots, Aldur's Advance or even Gores.

9. RealmOftheWolf

The Strength requirement is quite a non issue with 40 gotten from Claws 10 from gloves 20 from torch 15 from anni. I Need 115 for upped tucs which I think wasn't really needed as even with that leech is virtually non existent even with 5(BK)+9(Bartuc)+8(Helm).

Upped Bartucs Im not very impressed with given that the damage is so small that it doesnt look worth it as for that little bit of damage I have to add in a extra 45 stats in Strength and 15 in Dex. So I figured spend the extra 10 stats on strength an wear Dancers as im not exactly short on life with 1.6k health pre bo.

Non upped - **-155 - Requires 115/115
    Upped - 97 - 182 - Requires 79/79

20(Base) + 35(Torch+Anni) + 5(Maras) + 10(Rare Gloves) = 70
    20(Base) + 35 (Torch + Anni) + 5(Maras) + 20(Helm) + 20(raven) = 100

I can spend 10 points total in str and be done with it with less strength intense equipment. Nats boots seem like the best bet with dual resists along with 40 FR/W and who really would put decent tri-resist rares on a Phoenix Striker? Ill take the cheaper option.

With 20 FHR provided by Treachery I would only need to use 2 5 FHR SCs to replace it.

I have 2 Tanks, Cloak of shadows and mind blast so I hardly ever get hit with that much crowd control on my assassin so stat whoring isn't exactly needed.

Dancers only seemed logical with the already high strength after bonuses at 155 which is 12 stats off.

10. Lhuarc

Lhuarc IncGamers Member

Your post is making me switch my assassin over to this build haha. But I had a few questions, why the arachs and maras? Would you be better served with say highlords and dungos or something, possibly nosfer coil?

I was also wondering, I'm currently using Nat's helm- what would be a better upgrade? Andys, CoA (obv), Vamp?

11. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

Honestly with all the gear mentioned I'm shocked to see its a phoenix striker - I find it hard to invest heavily into gear on such a build. Kick/trap or pure traps will easily dwarf the rest of the MA tree in damage output - as much as I want to use charge ups for the change of pace.

But to each his/her own =)

12. RealmOftheWolf

Well not really expensive is it?

The circlet is useless on all but this build for the lack of cast
    2x bartuc even 200 are only pul - um
    Treachery - Less than pul
    Arach - Moderately expensive but unneeded
    2 Martial gloves are virtually worthless in trade value
    Shadow Dancers are expensive but no longer on my build as I have now degraded to normal un upped bartucs
    Maras is low
    Raven is 20 dex 187
    Bk is worthless on any build so no better place to put it and unneeded:p

The only expensive part is really the Infinity but that isnt needed either for a fast kill speed after a bit of practice.

Also any caster hybrid would out perform any class that is melee orientated but with the gear I actually havent had a problem and found this a refreshing change of pace now that I have took some advice of some of the above posters Im 100% sure of the gear:p

@Lhuarc
    Arach was there basically for the +skill and a slightly faster casting of Mind blast and I dont need the Damage reduction as I hardly get hit.

Maras was skills and resists but Highlords would suffice although the deadly strike does nothing for you but it has IAS and a skill.

Shako would be the best bet given that COA has very few features that really out perform a circlet or Shako.

FHR is already high with Dual tucs + Treachery with 6 needed for another breakpoint so that leaves 2 sockets and a little damage reduction.

13. SeCKSEgai

SeCKSEgai IncGamers Member

arach - valuable
    mara's - valuable
    bk - valuable

When I think bargain builds, usually one or two items are valued at pul to um at most, rest is pgems - while not extremely extravagant, certain items you mention aren't things you'll see in given out for free.

Not to mention the anni-torch (mostly anni depending on torch stats)

But like I said, in the end it comes down to fun, i just wish MA got a better bonus to make it worthwhile.

14. RealmOftheWolf

Well I didnt say it was a bargain build as much as just something I threw together with stuff I wasn't going to use on anyone else based around the circlet I found. Does BK have any builds that can make good use of it?

Melee have much better choices than BK and casters should use SoJ.

Obviously some of the items are expensive but not really needed.

I bought arach for 30 perfect gems so isnt that expensive but Maras and BK certainly are.

15. Ghoulz

Ghoulz IncGamers Member

BK is pretty much used for it's life and life leech on a build like this. Can't get by with poor life leech on this char, unless you want to constantly waste your time with cobra strike.

16. CombatChristian

CombatChristian IncGamers Member

How does a Pstriker fare in Hell in regards to Attack Rating?

17. RealmOftheWolf

Well levels really make a difference depending on your gear but I break around 6k with top gear and manage around 62% chance to hit baal and 80%+ to most other things in hell with the charge up skills at level 83.

If you can manage infinity the problems go away but thats unlikely to be the case as infinity isnt exactly lieing around everyone stash. I love the non cookie cutter builds as ive done it all in my time.

@Ghoulz

9% was enough for me as I use holyfreeze so I dont often get hit and if it is its usually against undead souls/Stiggies where leech seems useless and I dont exactly leech anything with non upped bartucs.

I dont actually hotkey, Cobra strike all I really use are Pheonix strike and Claws of thunder as the synergy charge ups allow more than enough damage to be done with that skills individual charges while Holyfreeze and Cloak control the crowd so I barely get hit.

Meteor is the most damaging spell in my arsenal and can rip bosses apart and with a little practice you can dish them out extremely quickly.

Phoenix strike unlike the other elemental charge ups only use 1 claw so you can easily learn to click once and release.

18. CombatChristian

I hope it's okay that I ask a few questions in your thread, I'm kinda making a HC Phoenix Striker.

What do you do against dolls (the exploding *****es killed my 2,3k hp conc barb :< )? Let the merc/smaster/swarrior kill them?
    What merc to use? BA since Infinity isn't an option for me or Holy Freeze for CC?
    You say that Phoenix Strike only uses one claw. Does this mean that I can achieve the (roughly) the same damage with just one claw and a shield?

Thanks

19. RealmOftheWolf

Holyfreeze + Cloak of shadows on the dolls. Charge up Phoenix Strike once then release the charge on the centre doll and run backwards as depending on the Particular "Type" of Bone fetish they have 25 Fire resist . Meteor gets pretty damaging at the higher levels and the burn damage is awesome but mostly this is for the timer before meteor hits which should buy enough time to get away safely and let your merc and shadow keep them in place.

Id stick to holyfreeze if you can level with the difficulty because its such a invaluable crowd control skill and would rather sacrifice the amulet/Ring slot for the extra AR.

Yes Phoenix Strike unlike the other elemental charge ups only require 1 weapon to attack with and with all the other elemental charge ups maxed you will have respectable damage with each charge and to be honest I mostly use charges 1 and 3 . Bartucs + Sanctuary is a good combo.

20. CombatChristian

That seems pretty sound to be honest. I'll start out with a BA merc for obvious reasons though and then see whether I have the heart to drop him if/when I reach NM act 2.

And: Isn't SS a good idea as well for a shield? What I'm thinking is that the level 15 fade provided by Treachery gives exactly 15% of hidden DR, which sums up nicely to 50 with Stormshield.