Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Phase´s elemental zealot version 1.0

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by heilskov, Feb 1, 2004.

1. heilskov

heilskov IncGamers Member

Phase´s elemental zealot version 1.0

Firstly this isnt a new build, its been done before. Im not here to klaim honor from nameing it something, because it always has had a name.

so dont take this as a one and only way to make a elemental zealot build, this is just my version. So lets call its Phases elemental zealot verison 1.0

Most of u probably have the basics down, its zeal, it needs speed, its main dmg comes from the elemental side so you try your hardest to forget about those +dmg synergies(pysical) and do other things that add your pala, with those skill points.

with that said lets get down to the skill distribution and the equipment recamendations for this build.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    THE SKILLS :

4 zeal (main attack)

20 conviction (main aura)

whats nice about this build is it doesnt need a synergie to make either main aura or main combat skill effectient. Your conviction is already doing so much for the party that you can afford to be a bit greedy ^^.

20 holy sheild

20 Defiance

10 vigor*

1 redemption u flash it, and walla ur healed ^^ its magic, a must have.

*1 (got engima(or able 2 get) only 1 point in it then)

a differnant pvp char ?? a charger with conviction?

Once this is done its taken 78 skill points to get here :) thats acutally the good news, the bad is I dont really know what to do with the rest of it :p
    Im just kidding, of course I do.

now I like duals as much as the next person, So I perpose u use the rest of the points in either zeal if u are 100% pvp oriantated (for extra ed there), or u do a litte Charge for the AR and ed. ^^

this dude I asume can do a bit of pvp as well. The idea is simple, most people u pvp, will use DR if they fight a melee aura user, ur main dmg will still be elemental ^^.

For pala´s

The trick is to charge the same direction as they are, when they go for you so that u keep a bit of a distancen, u need to get just close enough for your conv. aura to effect them. Once it does that you turn around and charge towards them charging at you. If ur lucky you´ll win and surpise a bit ^^.

they doing hammers ?
    Try throwing your Gimmershred, its so unexpected, and so fun to se them get surprised ^^ mohahahah....

is this hammerdin using FoH as well ? sucks, hope u got a GA on and a wisp projector on, agian throw the danm thing at them ^^ . Same goes for a FoH only user, but charge stright aways.

Barbs :

super easy... zeal is 100% uninteruptable, ur lower LL might make you the loser but lets hope not.

sorc :

its all about getting them charge locked ^^, and a feel for where to go when the tele. Also items that have absorb of the element they use.

Necro :

PnB... arghh... this is worse than the hammerdin... dont dual them( give throwing a try, they move, u move, but they have the advantage since ur throwings are auto targeting.)

skelles/revives and so on, be cheap and go for him, or kill all his minions and make him admit his defeat :p

Druids :

elemental fire druid, these dudes suck, unless you got absorb items agian..
    hurricane users + tornados, if you make it though the hurricane, and you will the tornados will be the problem.

THE ITEMS :

this is the main thing with this strat, its very item dependent. Espcially when it comes to getting elemental dmg from items in some way or the other.

PvM :

weapon: Gimmershred 423 - 1381 ele. dmg. on it.
    (One-Hand Damage: (44-52) To (169-201) (106.5-126.5 Avg))
    Base Weapon Speed: [10]

head gear*:Kira's Guardian Umed / Shako for mf, with p. topaz

body armor*: I highly recamende you get a GA, Um and upgraded if you plan to walk/run to do runs(an engima if u got it). for mf the skulders ire seems to do the thing, agian p. topaz in it.

sheild: Dragonscale for pvm(and fire elemental pvps), Exile for PvP vs melee/bow user. Cheap is Tiamat's Rebuke almost as good as dragonscale for this build and has res all (35%) so thats a few charms less to carry arround.

boots: War travelers (gore ridders for pvp if u belive that a little CB and open wounds will help? doesnt really do that much unless you got other items that help higher the % they do) sigons for pvm,

gloves: sigons for pvm or screw the speed, let the dmg do the talking, Hellmouth 15-72 not alot but still every bit counts.

belt: TG/ snowclash/ goldwrap/ Nosferatu's Coil(ask how they feel about 10% slows in pvp)

rings: angelic/Raven Frost/Wisp Projector/dual leech rare with res.

amus: angelic/ The Rising Sun/Highlord's Wrath/rare with good res+ ML/LL

When u got mfing u´ll need alot of % all res sc´s.... cuz where else do u get the res from ? also I recammende u get engima, you want have to change ítems everytime u get to a boss killing(saves inventory space).

and thats about it for now, if this thing gets popular, I´ll update once I get time (its 3 am over here atm, gonna go to bed, hope my being tired didnt effect the out come of this posting, guess I´ll finde out tomorrow :p )

2. Elvish_Legion

Elvish_Legion Banned

Well it looks good, your dueling tactics are crap though sorry, but they are. You might wanna add some more items, as you missed ALOT. A total over haul to include a more indepth pvm strat and id say your good to go

Elvish

3. GriswoldsLegacy

GriswoldsLegacy IncGamers Member

I also think famine would be a much better weapon. Espically in a legendary mallet. If you dont like how slow the mallet is, use a scourge or another 4 socket elite mace.

4. Snarlin Stef

Snarlin Stef IncGamers Member

1200 ele dmg is really 200 dmg in pvp... is this really viable?

5. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

There needs to be way more theory involved for a guide. There is a lack of explanation for how/why this build works.
    As far as items are concerned, only the listed weapon/shield has any indication of an elemental theme. I agree this build will be heavily item dependent but there apparently hasn't been much thought here. I don't see enough elemental damage and the slow zeal speed and puny physical damage isn't going to make the leech worthwile. There should be a discussion on item choice.

No it's not. That is if he can hit anybody. The build will be heavily AR deficient and relies on conviction to hit anything.

6. Snarlin Stef

glimmer chred has a base speed of 10... you need to have 90 IAS to get a 5 FPS speed... you cant get 4 FPS with a base 10 speed weapon

so where do you get the 90 IAS from?
    is 5 FPS enough in a zeal duel?

i think you need to have 4FPS to have a top zeal fighter.

7. heilskov

most people duel in nm mode or hell mode, with top char, some that dont have room for the high enough all res want to do it in normal. Anyways you stick to hell mode games, and with the conviction aura 1200 dmg wont be like 200 dmg pvp, it´ll be twice the dmg still (some have absorb items that´ll be a problem) but lets just say that most people have 75 all res in hell mode, to get that the need 175 res., now your conviction aura will remove like 150 of those 175 res. so they are gonna have - 75 all res. Unless they have a surplus of about 140 all res, that way they would still have 75% all res when conviction aura hits them. So most people will have about max - res(100%) in games when dualing u.

about the def. lets say a guy you dual has 35k def. now your conviction aura removes 95% of that, so he has 5% of this 35k left, which is 1750 def.
    your not gonna have to hard a time getting 17xx Ar are you ? nope :p

what more is there to say about pvp ? also I did this guild kinda fast, there will be better ones once Im done testing it(truth be tolde I havent had a chance to test it yet, its just an idea I had). Also can you definde what you think it is about my pvp advice you conseed as being as you call "crap", I dont minde advice on this matter, it´ll be incorpiated and you be giving honor for pvp advice.

yes I did miss alot of item, No I dont like famine(GriswoldsLegacy
    thx for mentioning it is an alternative if u dont get the Gimmershred), for most people getting one is harder than a Gimmershred, elemental dmg on a Gimmershred is alot better, also it has a Jah in it, dude u finde a jah, the fist thing you should think should be Im half ways through making a engima here! ^^

famine has 151 - 650 elemental dmg and 180-200 magic dmg.
    anyways this build is about elemental, its what will benefit from your main aura. the IDT is nice for Pvm, and the prevents monster heal on DC, but other than that, there isnt really any thing that speaks for this weapon, ect. taht you can make it in a faster based weapon than the Gimmershred base of 10.

I might make a version 1.10 as soon as tomorrow where I rethink, and look at the build. Anyways Im off to try the build.

8. Skitril

Skitril IncGamers Member

1) I don't think Conviction works that way

2) No one half decent will take you seriously when you say

So, this is all theory then ? It might as well be BS then, some of the people here know what they are talking about, they have played and experienced the game with their characters, and know what works and what doesn't.

For example, when you said barbs were "super easy" with this build, I laughed. I dare you to challenge some of the barb forum posters with this build, and see how "super easy" they are. From my point of view, you don't seem to have much in the way of damage, defence, DR, block, life, FHR, attack speed, all the important things seem to be lacking. IMHO, any serious, well built dueling PvP character will kick the crap out you. This isn't a flame, but I recommend you just take this as constructive criticism and make/play your character, and see how it really works.

9. heilskov

2)ur right sorry about taht... what I ment with the barbs being easy, was taht with zeal a paladin normally wins, my zealot kills ww barbs, eats them for breakfast ^^.

yes this is all theori ^^ thats why Im testing it now, also this isnt all BS, there are others that have done the same thing. I mean its not like the elemental zealot is something new. Mostly all Im testing for atm is to se how killing speed will be, AR, Def, and how they hold up in duals. I doubt the outcome of any of that will change eg. skills distributions, likely it´ll enable me to give advice on equpiment.

also in reguards to that, I know, people dont have to take me seriously ^^
    they know Im honest. Im doing testing... lvling as we speak.

1)"I don't think Conviction works that way" what do u mean ? yes it does lower an def. by xx %, and yes it does lower res by xxx%. What there not to be sure about ? please explain what it is ur unsure of, and I´ll do a test in singel player mode and give a fast answear, else Im lvling on bnet atm.

people with questions, please try to clearify excectly what it is your asking, that makes answearing question serve a perpos, and it makes them easyer to answear ( if you know the answear to taht specific question ).

10. aussy

aussy Banned

Wonder if a famine military pick would be good.

11. iceball_aarf

iceball_aarf IncGamers Member

OT wow, aussy that avatar scared the crap out of me the first time i saw it, is that somekind of a monkey closeup? :p lol :p...

About the build:
    Well the famine War Spike would need 45% less ias in order to achieve 5frame zeal, and it could in theory get to 4f zeal (145% total ias needed- 30% from the runeword= 115%, lets say 20% from amulet+ 160/60ias or elemental/60ias armour+ 15% on helmet +20% gloves), the catch would be that it would deal a little less elemental dmg... still i think that it will be a better choice all in all....

12. Snarlin Stef

I think that in order to reach 4 FPS you wil have crap resists... and you would be so Frajeeelay that if a butterfly farts you die.

whenever you have to compromise your gear so much to get IAS its not worth it.. and flat out impractical. Staying alive is the most imortant thing in the game...

over in the sorcy forum there is a post that says "i have a godly sorc but negative resists" ... err basically slapping on the rarest runewords doesnt make you godly in my book... having a char that can tank and kill is godly in my book regardless of expensive runwords.

if a butterfly farts and you die... you arent godly no matter how expensive your gear is and no matter how much dmg you do.

13. heilskov

thx Snarlin Stef for standing up for me a bit ^^, intensionally or not.
    but he has a very good point, besides Fps zeals dont mean everything, most pvp´s might not even have a zeal used in them at all, but of course for those that do, a 4 fps zeal would have been better, but there isnt anything to do about that, other than telling people to get a famine in a weapon with a faster weapon base speed. Which btw requeries a jah to do so...

but hey those of you that wanna use this build like this for stricly pvp, and feel you most have a faster zeal, use a small fortune for a minimal gain in pvp (also its elemental dmg is only like half of the glimmershards).

however if u get your hands on a Jah, keep it safe untill u can make a engima, I feel this is the better use of suck a high rune.

but getting that 5 fps zeal with the build might be a good idea.
    also if ur rich you could make a beast for your act 5 hireling, that way you´d get fana aura without having to use the sword urself, might incress ur chances of getting a 4 fps zeal ?

other than that getting a exile and hopeing you got more def. than the other person your dualing has AR. is a good option.

14. iceball_aarf

iceball_aarf IncGamers Member

Snarlin Steff, then go on and use Scintillating jewels of Fervor, that would make a 60%resist all, 60%ias armor, the belt would be a verdungo´s for dmg reduced, the shield an umed HoZ, the Helmet a 2 socketed 15%dmg reduced Crown of ages(this also gets resist all 20-30%), 1 Ber 1 XX/IAS, the gloves well you can craft them anyway you want, with some crushing blow and ias for example, and this also could get some resists... i really don´t think that he will be compromising so many parts... btw if you still think that it is *Frajeeelay* then please enlight me telling me what isn´t :S.... btw that setup would give him 152-162% resist all, 38% Dmg Reduced and the needed speed plus some deadly strike (not that it multiplies elemental/magic dmg)... with a good anni and some other regular/good charms he could sacrifice the Um on the HoZ and put another ber in it... cheap?, not by a mile, but still it is better IMHO.

Edit: Almost forgot for the poster above me:
    Beast 5 Socket Axes/Scepters/Hammers Ber + Tir + Um + Mal + Lum
    No Swords, so no A5 merc using beast.... no merc in general using Beast.

15. Skitril

Skitril IncGamers Member

Firstly, I think you may have been dueling really crappy barbs then (in 1.10 a well built WW barb can definitely take it to a zealot - most of the time, unless it one of those el-cheapo life tappers, in 1.09 a zealot had no chance)

Conviction -resists works exactly like you described (though it's capped to -150). However, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere else that the -defence bonus does not work exactly like you stated, I don't think the reduction is that much. I'm not sure on the details of how the -defence is applied though, you should test it and check. That's why I also don't think a high defence character will automatically have his defence pretty much negated by Conviction alone.

16. nSin

nSin IncGamers Member

if convictiopn works the same way as cloak of shadows then it's -% of def on >base< def, so lets say a barb has 5000 base def, adn 30000 with skills, then only -90% of base so 0.1 x 5000 = 500 so you would end up with having 25500 defense.

I'm 99% sure it does work the same way since the skill descriptions are the same.

17. heilskov

thanks for that info ^^ its usefull.
    I got a base of about 2100 with my pala right now.
    which then becomes about 12,5k with my holysheild on.
    this is my elemental zealot Im talking about, he´s lvl 65 atm, so soo the glimmershard.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    anyways I dualed a fana zealot vs my elemental zealot.

none of us had huge amounts of LL, so that might have been in my fav.

me(lvl 65) : the atlantian,string,griswolds armor,hellmouth,infornostride, 2x nagel rings

him(lvl 76) :the atlantian ,string,Templar's Might, cant remember more :(

anyways I used conviction and he used fanatisme, and we went about toe to toe, with me having the advantage.

first time I tested hitting him he went, "wtf did u do to my def! its down to 250" not sure if he had holysheild on at that time.

made him try the differance between when I use conviction and not.
    with no conviction in use and his holysheild on, I used 3 zeal attempts 3x5 attacks, before it looked like one was blocked.

when I used conviction and he was using holysheild, 3 out of the 5 hits from zeal made it if they wherent blocked. ^^

and best of all, I only had 1600 attack rateing.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

whats even more fun is he had a really hard time hitting me, with my 12,5k def. atm ( got about defiance at lvl 16 (+4skills)). and this dude had fana for extra attack rateing. I made him try blessed aim as well, no luck there either really.

most fana build use there skill for dmg, eg. scarifice + zeal + fana max if there lucky they max HS.

me I´ve got my holy sheild maxed and doing defiance ( lvl 12) and Im only lvl 65 missing some quests ? in nm moded.

guys once I get my glimmershard in use agian, and do some more dueling for fun Im gonna post agian. till then ^^

18. heilskov

mohahah....

this is a cal Im doing for fun :

the idea is to take all the max def items you can carry and se what amount of def they give. then cal in how much it becomes after conviction. ^^

head:Giant Skull base 477!! bad *** def. helm ^^
    body:Templar's Might base 600 (+220% def)
    sheild:Exile in eth. Vortex Shield base max is 225 x1,5 (+260% def)
    belt:Verdungo's Hearty Cord base 65 (+140% Enhanced Defense)
    gloves:Steelrend base 281!! agian one of these bad boys with high base def.
    boots:Marrowwalk base 67 (+200% )

now lets say we use a conv. that gives -94% of your base def.
    this dude would have:

447 *0,06 = 26,82
    600 *0,06 *3,2 (adding the 220%) =115,2
    225*1,5*0,06*3,6 =72,9
    65 *0,06*2,4 =14,04
    281*0,06 = 16,86
    67*0,06*3 = 12,06

this put together gives a total of : 257,9

now lets say u use your lvl 16 defiance you have on ur sheild that gives a bonus of 220%, and that you use your holy sheild as well lets say eg. lvl 20 (+310%)

that would give u 257,9 * 6,3 (310+220=530 +100 =630) = 1625 def.

mohahahaha.... ^^ gotta love conviction.

for fun lets do the same cal without conviction:

447 = 447
    600 *3,2 (adding the 220%) =1920
    225*1,5*3,6 =1215
    65 *2,4 =156
    281= 281
    67*3 = 201

a total of 4220 as base def.

now with lvl 20 Holy sheild + lvl 16 defiance thats:

4220*6,32=26586 def
    somehow taht seems a bit low? right ?
    someone check cal. anyways it gives a picture of how big the differance is, I even used items taht have the highest def. with base high to counter the conviction.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    just re-read the posting above my 2, its first now I understood what was ment by the way it was cal. I hope its not true what nSin said, if its only of the base that gets reduced and then removed from the max then its very little it helps if any at all, when it comes to def.

I want to argue that the way nSin says its cal cant be true, because after my testing with a person that had 5k def using holy sheild, the difference when trying to hit was a major one. Also him going wtf my def. is only 250! doesnt make sense if it was true what you said.

then it would be like 5k - something like 90% of his base, no idea how much that is but like 500 = he has 4500 def. then why would he go "WTF my def. what did you do to it? its only 250!"

--------------------------------------------------------------------

also I now se why u guys wanted me to test the bloody thing, well I have, Im gonna go lvl some more, once I get the glimmershard in use I´ll give a small msg in here of how it went.... how this build has some pvm abilities.
    more pvp also when I get a higher lvl.

19. nSin

nSin IncGamers Member

Like I said, unfortuneatly, thats the way how it is with cloak of shadows, and the skill discription is exactly the same, the only difference is that one is a curse and the other is an aura - or maybe one of the two is just bugged?

20. Nagash

Nagash IncGamers Member

OK I have this build right now at lvl 79. And unless you have TONS of elemental charms you will be doing crap for damage. But with the high conviction he does make for a good party member with sorcs and posionmances. It worked great in 1.09 but as with so many other builds now it cant hold a candle to any build with synegies.