Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Pet peeve

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Freet, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

Pet peeve

There's little in this world that aggrivates me more than someone from the Acme Co. or whatever calling me at 9:00 PM to feed me their sales pitch. For example, several times a week I get a call, usually between 8:30 and 9:00 PM from MCI telling me that, as a valued customer, they would like to save me.....that's when I say I'm not interested and hang up.

I know that a person can, thanks to the "Fair Trade Reporting Act" insist that bill collectors not call anymore and that any correspondance be handled by mail. I was wondering if the same held true for telemarketers. Does anyone here have any info I could use to stop these pesky phone calls?

2. Suicidal Zebra

Suicidal Zebra IncGamers Member

An air horn to the mouthpiece always works for me. One recorded warning of course.

3. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

Try this link, Freeto. It's to the National Don't bug me website. It's run by the feds and it's legit. You can put up to three numbers on it, so do a friend a favor.

Telemarketers begone!

4. cleanupguy

cleanupguy IncGamers Member

Have you tried the DO NOT CALL REGISTRY? You can sign up at http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/edcams/donotcall/index.html. It, however, takes about 4 months before it goes into effect.

I think this really works because I no longer get any stupid calls at night. Stupid calls = telemarketer calls.

5. Dutchman

Dutchman IncGamers Member

It also wouldn't be a bad idea to take the time to tell them to remove you from their solicitation list before hanging up. Most companies will respect a do not solicit request.

Dutch

6. cleanupguy

That was soooo not my experience. Most of the telemarketers have the audacity to hang up on me or tell me that it is not their job to do so and hang up when I tell them that I want to be removed from their calling list.

It is kind of funny, I guess, because I would hang up on them without a doubt, but I will get mad if they hang up on me. :lol:

7. Dutchman

Dutchman IncGamers Member

If a persistent company is doing this ask the persons name right off the bat, then ask them to remove you. If they still hang up you have their name to file a complaint. In some areas it is even illegal to refuse to remove someone from a mailing or telemarketing list when they request it.

Dutch

8. cleanupguy

Also, have you noticed that most of these people are actually reading scripts already written, talking so fast you have no idea what they are talking about?

Sometimes, I find it funny I tell the person to repeat the whole thing, and I just walk away from the phone, come back in 5 minutes or so. :lol: