Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Personal thoughts on the D3 Open Beta

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 Beta Forum' started by Thunderchild, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Thunderchild

Thunderchild IncGamers Member

Personal thoughts on the D3 Open Beta

So... I have played the series as a teenager back when it first came about...
    Back then, I had more patience, and it was a deal easier to "amaze" me(I imagine this is true for most of us)

I wasn't among the fortunate(?) people who got to be beta testers, so occasionally I caught news and bits here in DIII.net.

I was really excited when I saw that there's an open Beta weekend and so I jumped at the opportunity.

First, allow me to play "devils' advocate" and say that I was not a fan of Diablo 2(I can taste your rage)... but really, as far as I am concerned, there was little to no atmosphere(save for the cinematics which were awesome). I missed the gothic theme in Diablo 1... the character avatars, I feel, were better than the D2 ones as well. Be it as it may, I still spent hours upon hours online playing D2.

And so, eager to play and see D3, I logged in and played.

I played with three characters, which are the most appealing to my taste:
    Started out with a Wizard, then Demon Hunter and finally, Monk.

Graphics:

They really are great, I feel.
    It's polished and strikes the nail right at the head... I think it looks exactly how the devs wanted it to look...
    On a personal note though? I was just a bit disappointed.
    The effects and colors... it was a bit cartoonish and not proportional to my taste. It didn't feel "realistic" for me to shoot a huge spear of a missile out of a small hand-crossbow for instance.

The beginning of Act 1 is limited in color... I would have loved to see New Tristram during day-light for instance... I really do hope that acts in their entirety don't play in night or day... a mix of both would be far more welcome.

One must bear in mind that the Beta represents a small part of the game- but still, considering that it can take a person up to 2-3 hours of straight gameplay, I would like to see more variety in color and scenery.

Skills:

All three characters seemed very able... I haven't died once during the gameplay, though I was at few(extremely few) "tight" corners with the Monk.

I can't say I understand how there are so many possible skill combinations... I was actually left quite confused as I didn't find any runes, but I could simply allocate some sort of rune to certain skills when my level allowed it.

The way skills are presented right now is a bit underwhelming... the sense of achievement is lost now that there aren't trees to show your progress... it's tiresome to have to look over several different screens just to see what skills remain unlocked.

I liked the skills you could unlock, certainly.... I found them to be quite awesome, in fact... and I didn't get a sense of severe disappointment as I used to get in D2 for instance... There were simply tons of completely useless skills there, unlocked but with absolutely no effective use(Elemental Druid, Gha).

Switching skills was too easy, no form of binding exists which really takes allot out of the "flavor" of the character you built. Yes, I understand the cons of having to stick to a specific build, and God forbid you placed a skill point in the wrong place... and yet, I am sure there's a better middle-ground, it feels too loose, as opposed to D2's too restricting...

Gameplay:

I loved the quests, I really did. I loved the monsters as well, though here too, not enough variety IMHO...
    Playing and exploring is FAR more interesting than it is in D2... the random events are simply terrific.
    Yes, the gameplay is kind of easy... but this is the first stages of the first act on Normal... We can wait on difficulty-judging until we go through Nightmare at the very least.

Leveling up... I have mixed feelings about that.
    At first it's fast and fun... after that, it really slows down... and there aren't enough things to give you a sense of progress in between the relatively long stretches...
    It's great that levels don't come by too easily, but the "in-betweens" should be richer in content.

The items are underwhelming... it is a bit sad that the best items truly do come from crafting at such early stages... it's very accessible and obtainable, and the drops are not even close to competing with what can be crafted.
    The idea behind Diablo is loot- and it's lacking in the beta... the gap between what you can craft and what you can find at any given moment in the beta is too big...
    Picking up items was nigh pointless... I mostly did it in order to salvage... it took quite a bit out of the game.

I loved the resource systems- they functioned very well IMHO.
    I -do- have to say that I do not like the idea of the Demon Hunters' resource pool being called "hatred"... it just sends a rather ugly message all-round.

Techincal issues:

Wizard: I don't see a reason to get the "Snared" pop-up on all monsters which are caught in the knockback effect of the force-wave... it's not a trap, and the effect is very visibly clear.

Templar: the dialogue about the sun made -some- sense with the Wizard... but was completely disconnected with the Demon Hunter.
    All in all, they should either take the dialogue up a notch or remove it... this "in-between" is too lacking and does little to contribute anything.

I found the ghosts to display lacking AI consistently...

So in conclusion... I liked it, I really did.
    How can people play the beta over and over again though is beyond me... the content is not enough to hold that much interest for me.

I truly hope that at least some of what I said will be rendered moot once we see the complete game.

It's good, don't get me wrong... better than D2, without a doubt, at least as far as I am concerned... I can't help but say that I maybe expected just a-bit- more.

2. wardog

wardog IncGamers Member

Re: Personal thoughts on the D3 Open Beta

I continue to see a poorly developed game at this point in the testing. Bliz has no doubt put much effort into having this go to open testing, and obviously they were no where near ready to do this. I am not at all impressed with the gamplay, character creation, or the storyline development. auto attakc and point and click doesn't cut it in todays games, I believe they have missed the boat on the entire game. And many of us have probably wasted our money on the game purchase.

3. capnlarge

capnlarge IncGamers Member

If you bought a Diablo game and expected anything other than point and click, then you did waste your money. It'd be like buying a Mario game and being disappointed when the game is about collecting coins and jumping on bad guys. ?_?

4. fnaxqtr

fnaxqtr IncGamers Member

completely agree with you!

And for the game itself, i dont like the skill system nether. But we all waited so long for this game to be released and for that to come now, i have to admit that i didnt play a game the last years which was as fun as diablo is at the moment.
    I think that all games that came out in the last years didnt last very long (except wow). As a matter of fact, Skyrim was hyped a few months and it was a good game tbh, but now nearly nobody is spending time playing it anymore.
    So i think Diablo 3 isnt perfect and especially the skill system and interface is very poor, still i think this will be the best game in the next years. Besides Dota2 ;)

5. Wurmer

Wurmer IncGamers Member

I haven't played all the caracters but so far I like what I see here. No it's not pefect but IMHO it's what I expected to be. Many people seem to forget that D3 is a hack & slash game and in this it remains true to the franchise. I don't have a problem with the graphics. At this point in time, it's not really hard to get better graphics then D2 which is over a decade old. They are not too cartoonish for my taste. Also, I think people needs to get used to the new skills system. I remember well when D2 came out, a lot of people were confused about the skill trees and what to pick. In this regard I think like this system better. I don't have the time nor the will to play games as much as I did with D2 but I will surely enjoy D3 for a good many hours.

6. Arirmind

Arirmind IncGamers Member

I do have to say that even when capped at lvl 13. Crafting made game much more interesting than lets say diablo 2 act 1 normal up to Cain quest. Imagine diablo 2 beta where you could only farm up to Tristram?

Ok i dont argue that actualy gameplay would have been better/worse but i like the crafting system and they encourage using it by having own incrediments at each level (normal, NM, hell, inferno). Crafting on D3 sounds much more interesting than gambling, D2 crafting and even runeword building imho. Items and how we get them is very very big part of diablo games.

7. DeBAUS

DeBAUS IncGamers Member

A point to made about progression in the open beta is that the quests we were able to do (all the way up to the Skeleton King) were intended to be defeated by a character in lvls 5-8. That's why it took so long to level past level 10. I leveled a Barb and a Monk to 13 and I did the Skeleton King run probably 50 times. Its just like the hell baal runs in D2. They highest level monster was level 80 and that's why it took a trillion runs to get to 99.

As far as the variety in monsters in Act 1 in Normal... Think of the variety of monsters in Act 1 Normal D2. Not so amuzing/amazing. <--Point made

8. Wildmoon

Wildmoon IncGamers Member

I think most of your complaints come from the fact that it's beta and it has very little content.

9. Rashiminos

Rashiminos IncGamers Member

Crafting is pretty much gambling so far. You get a guaranteed item and ilvl, but the bonuses are still random. Also, if you get mules, then you can hold good leveling gear and save money from being wasted "crafting."

10. Forgotten One

Forgotten One IncGamers Member

The crafting is odd in the sense that the item types are seemingly random.
    What sort of incentive does the player have to "train" the blacksmith if the item types to be unlocked aren't what they want?
    How does the player know when the blacksmith will be offering what they are looking for?

It'd be nice to have some kind of control over what item types you can craft.
    Instead, just spend your money and hope the blacksmith's inventory is what you want.

11. Penncrow

Penncrow IncGamers Member

Not exactely sure what you expected when you signed up for D3. You have to ask yourself if one thing made Diablo so popular, what would it be? Many would argue it is the random itemization. Itemization in D3 so far is an improvement over previous installments. Everything else are just aesthetics. People don't play diablo for the storyline nor do they mind the hack/slash, after all, it is an aRPG.