Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Perfect Mf%

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by magnum, Feb 25, 2004.

1. magnum

magnum IncGamers Member

Perfect Mf%

just wondering what the perfect mf% is. B/c i seem to find better when my % is around 360, and an odd number. then over 500 its good also. Just asking what the ideal % is.

2. discoboomer

discoboomer IncGamers Member

as much as you can without sacraficing too much in killing time.

you'll find that with a lot of things in life, there is no definite answer. So pack it on all you can while still maintaining kill speed.

3. jasmnsmommy

jasmnsmommy IncGamers Member

I have heard anything over 350 is decent, I personally prefer around 500. If you go to the Faq pages there is a whole section on MF it might be of some help to you. GL

4. th5418

th5418 Banned

There is NO perfect MF percenatge. Get that through your head!

5. rogier

rogier IncGamers Member

I actually believe that there is a certain % that will give you the greatest chance on golden items. I have 772%MF and find approx 1 rare per pinlderun, and 1 unique/set per 50 runs~~

try it yourself. make a smallcharm with 500MF and fill your inv with em, and MF in open

6. th5418

th5418 Banned

Yea the certain % is as high as possible. that doesnt reduce your killing/surviving

7. adamfgt78

adamfgt78 IncGamers Member

An odd number, eh? And I guess the number of lucky charms you're wearing and if you have a horseshoe hanging over your computer are also a factor.

Seriously, there is no magic number. More is better, but not when it effects you're killing or surivial rate. 350-400 or so should be sufficient. If more mf beyond that effects your killing, the small increase in actual mf won't be worth it.

8. Daemonaz

Daemonaz IncGamers Member

Best MF percentage imho is about 200-250. After that the diminishing returns on MF, especially unique, kick in pretty badly. And with 200-230 your killing speed barely suffers. Anyone who says he can still kill as fast with 700 MF is simply lying. Killing speed is a major factor, especially when you run the pit. If I do a run in 3 min with 200MF and you do the same run with 700MF in 9-10min you are not going to find better items than me.

9. Wolv

Wolv IncGamers Member

Really depends on char and equip. A sorc can run 500+ mf w/ only gheeds for mf charms while wearing all kill gear besides nagels and chancies...

Thnx to the Tal Set, a sorc is definitely superior to other builds when it comes to maximizing mf AND kill equipment....

10. makia-veli

makia-veli IncGamers Member

I am in hardcore useast ladder, my necro with 250mf did about 20 pits run and he found, set cryptic sword, unique legendary mallet and a lot more usuable items (for hardcore)

My sorc, with 267 mf, p.topaz skullder, p.topaz shako, occulus, in hell meph run, found a stormshield and skullder in approximatively 100runs.
    My friend with 450mf found, in 100runs (hell meph) a stormshield and a shako.

My zon 500mf, found a ber rune, unique kraken shell, phase blade (ls) in 500 pindle skin run.

For me, mf doesnt matter as long as i survive and my resists are in +

Sorry for my english

Makia-veli :innocent:

11. Wolv

Wolv IncGamers Member

Yer english is fine Makia...better than mine ;)

BTW, mf% is independent of rune drops.

12. festers50

festers50 IncGamers Member

While more is generally better than less, it is still all about luck.

A faster killer with less mf will get more drops per hour played than a slow killer with lots of mf.

I have 515% on my mf bowzon which seems to work reasonably well.

Last night playing with IK set barb (Bald_Zilla) 61% mf, I forund Saracen's ammy, 4% BK ring and 8% Carrion Wind ring.

Even dumb luck is alright some times. :thumbsup:

13. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

Golden Rule:

More Magic Find is ALWAYS better as long as killing speed isn't effected (much).

14. magnum

magnum IncGamers Member

i dont understand this... i mean if mf is what it says then the more the mf the better and more frequent good items will drop, i seem to hae ve found better by running in and killing suff with my palli, which took me 20 or so andy/meph runs to find a shako and a few skullders, i found just today doin 1 cow run a bartucs a valk wing and 2 ums, and more than 90% of the time i find chit, thx for all of your imput guys, this might help me take a different approach on my mf'ing

15. A_S_G

A_S_G IncGamers Member

It's practically all luck. .and you seem to be a very lucky person? Two Um runes in one cow run? A shako and multiple Skullders in 20 Meph/Andy runs? I think you might be over exaggerating on this. . .but if you found two um's in one cow that's cool :thumbsup:

~A_S_G

16. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Let me say this slowly so all those magic find conspiracy theorists can finally shut up.

When the game checks an item drop for quality it checks FIRST Unique --> Set --> Rare --> Magic --> Superior --> Normal --> Lower quality (eg. damaged) LAST. If you roll successfully on one of these checks the next checks ARE NOT MADE, your item becomes that quality unless a version of that does not exist (eg. unique vortex shield) in which case it defaults to the next lowest quality and checks there. Magic Find % (the more the better) will boost the chances for rolling (see magic find tables at top of this forum page under online calculators for exact %'s at each stage of item quality checking) better quality at each stage eg. having a better chance of rolling unique when the unique check is made.

17. dop_obo

dop_obo IncGamers Member

I disagree. I've done both, although the range was 250 for fast, and 800 for slow. My reasoning is: elite items don't drop all that often, so I want the maximum chance of them being uniques, set, rare, even magical. I noticed a huge difference in item quality between the two mf levels. Seeing a white item drop with 800 mf in the Pit is an event. :)

On the other hand, my hammerdin turned up an IK armor during a river run with only 50 mf on (Um'ed Shako). :winner:

18. magnum

magnum IncGamers Member

naw i wasnt exxaggerating it really happened, i umd my friends upd hoz, and umd one of the shakos. I found a couple wc weaps, and another crecent moon today, i guess it really has to do on the speed of the run, that info helped out a shitload

19. dang79

dang79 IncGamers Member

I think........ MF numbers aside... you are one lucky person.... lol

20. Atomium

Atomium IncGamers Member

It is impossible to say what is the perfect mf%, because every build is different. Like it has been said above, survival and killing speed are crucial. Depending on your char attributes, skills and equipment, and your playing skills, you will find your own max mf%.

It is also considered that 300% mf is a must, and that after that level, the diminishing returns make mf increasingly expensive. But the higher is still the better.