Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Perfect Gems: Why

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by malakhai, Nov 8, 2006.

1. malakhai

malakhai Diabloii.Net Member

Perfect Gems: Why

Hi all,

Let me first say I am sorry for the incredibly noobish question, but I can't seem to find an answer anywhere. My question is why people use Perfect Gems as currency now? I know people are afraid of duped HR and SoJ, but why do people trade things for perfect gems now?

Is there some cube recipe that I do not know of that people are using like crazy?

Also, are Perfect Skulls better, worse, or equal in terms of worth?

Thanks for the help, and sorry to be so lost.

2. Unrealism

Unrealism Diabloii.Net Member

Pgems are used to re-roll magical items.

3 pgems + magical item in the cube gives a new magical item of the same type. People mainly use this to re roll charms and try to get skillers.

3. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle Diabloii.Net Member

• 3 pGems + magic item => new magic item of same type and ilvl.
    • 6 pSkulls + rare item => new rare item with modified ilvl
      • new_ilvl = [old_ilvl/2] + [clvl/2]
    The first recipe is commonly used on grandcharms. People try to get 'skillers' (charms with +1 character class skill) and a useful second mod (41-45 life, 12% fhr, etc). GCs with ilvl 50+ (from nm act 2 past the spider forest) can be turned into skillers with up to 30 life. GCs with ilvl 77+ can get up to 40 life. GCs from Hell Baal, Hell Nihlathak, and Hell Diablo can get up to 45 life.

The second recipe is not as commonly used, but it is great for trying to get LLD jewels.

The pGem recipe counts skulls as gems, so it would make sense that skulls would be worth at least as much as gems, but many people on battle.net don't understand that, and treat skulls as second class citizens.

4. malakhai

malakhai Diabloii.Net Member

Awesome,

Thanks for the input. I figured there was some reason why people did it other than just fear of dupes SoJ's.

5. plasmo

plasmo Diabloii.Net Member

PGems are also used for crafting, which is why rubies (blood rings) and amethysts (caster amulets) are generally worth a little more.

Plus, almost everybody can have a few PGems after playing for a while, so they're an easy-to-get currency for people without access to SoJs and HRs; kinda like change is to bills.

6. GotFriana

GotFriana Diabloii.Net Member

Not to mention many people put perfect diamons on shields to get resistances and also Perfect topazes on helms and armors for magic find.

Also there are other cube recipes that use Pgems, you can socket white weapons (that is non magical) in the cube using Pamethyst + ral +amn runes. The recipe to upgrade weapons and armors uses Pgems too.

7. harpoeth

harpoeth Diabloii.Net Member

Another noobish question: what is LLD jewels ?

8. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana Diabloii.Net Member

Low level duel jewels.