Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Perfect CoA 2os BerBer FT!! Little Rant

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Represented, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Represented

Represented Banned

Perfect CoA 2os BerBer FT!! Little Rant

Perfect CoA, 2 sockets, 31% DR, 30% All res up for trade!!

Person 1: I'll start you off with a Lem!!

^

Why do people "start off" with something so low? It irks me everytime I see a high end item up for trade, and someone bids surprisingly low. If you're going to bid on it, atleast start off with something reasonable. I know everyone wants the bang for their buck, but really now, do you really need to be THAT cheap? Even if you were to win the item with a Lem, the seller most likely wouldn't sell it for that amount.

Maybe there's a reason for this, but I don't see it. Why not just start off with a reasonable price and save the time/effort? Bidding a little below what the item is worth is reasonable, but to lowball like this.. I can't seem to find a logical explaination for this, except for greedyness.

I realize that auctions start really low, but in my opinion, it's just a waste of time in this case and people just wan't the best deal (who doesn't? but how cheap can you get?!).

However, if there is a reason for this, please enlighten me.

P.S. This was just an example. Maybe a bit exaggerated, but I've been seeing this kind of lowballing more and more.

2. TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight IncGamers Member

Re: Perfect CoA 2os BerBer FT!! Little Rant

I bid a Lem ...

Seriously though I do know how it happens, if you really dont know the item I can see it happenning.

Heres one example, I did it,

I saw Faith for the first time... I bid everything I had ...3 HRs and as I was bidding I wondered am I overpaying, Am I hosing myself, and I remember I felt relief when he refused to answer because that meant I didnt overbid (by at least 20 hrs) and felt sick when I found out how much I would be paying in the future. Lack of knowledge causes it sometimes.

Another example is people see a great item and bid everything they have.

Also I give everything away I find now that Im rich by D2 standards, so maybe the giveaway mentality causes it, I see people trying to get faith for free, I worked my butt off to get 24 hrs to get the Faith I have now.

I'd never give it away but maybe my attitude will change in a year and I trade all my stuff away for nothing.

But these days I'll bid 5 HRs for an item I know should sell for 8 hrs soooo... either lack of knowledge or looking for charity is my take on offerring Lem for a COA.

3. Represented

Represented Banned

Ehh.. I guess that explains it. Even so, it annoys me to no extent when I see someone lowballing to the max. I don't mind when someone lowballs something that isn't worth that much, but when it comes to higher end items and I see auctions and such start off at a Lem, it makes me wonder what's going on in that persons mind. Why would he bid so low, it just slows down the auction. Also, I've noticed that it's the same couple people that do this..

As for the 5 HR for the 8 HR value thing.. that's reasonable. That's a bit lower, but atleast it's a start and reasonable. After a couple bids, it should reach the value point, not a total waste of time as the Lem for CoA. I don't really consider bidding a Lem on an item like perf CoA a start (again, this is just an example and somewhat exaggerated, but I've seen many situations like this).

But I guess you're right, lack of knowledge and hopes for a "giveaway mentality" explains why people do it. The "giveaway mentality" is the thing that annoys me.

4. TheDarkKnight

"lack of knowledge and hopes for a "giveaway mentality" <--- Exactly my point!

Theres one game on Bnet now which feeds it all I think:

Brg Free Faith

People wouldn't do this if it didnt work once in a while.

5. Copilot

Copilot IncGamers Member

Yes those "brg free xy" games annoy the hell out of me, most of the ones I see are "brg free nigma" as if someone is actually going to go give his an enigma. Yes people do giveaway all their gear for free(like a guy did on uswest ladder about 3 months ago, he gave away his fully end game geared hammerdin stuff by just dropping it on the ground, but that so rarely happens. People need to understand about trying to earn their items by spending the time MFing for items to trade and not begging for free stuff.

Would you go on the street and beg for money or would you get a job and earn it? Sure most people would love to beg and get free money but it isn't going to happen, a job is alot easier.

6. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

a lem is overpay for a duped item.

7. TheDarkKnight

Especially a self found Lem ... I retract my bid from the second post... sorry

8. cour de mal

cour de mal IncGamers Member

I guess this phenomenon is fed somewhat by all of the "Free Stuff" games that pop up on Bnet (of which I'm guilty of too.) When I'm doing MF runs I feel bad just tossing or selling the stuff that is low value but would be really helpful for early/mid level play. So I'll make a free game when my stash fills up and give it away to people who need it more. Granted, nothing I hand out there is worth more tha a couple of Pgems, but I suppose the idea of something for nothing is still re-inforced by that.

I would guess that most of the time if someone does give away a valuable item to the beggers it's something they know to be duped, or they are so rich that they don't care what they are giving away.

9. obiwansbane

obiwansbane IncGamers Member

if the auction starts low, more people bid just to outbid the guy below... more posts = more bumps = more views = more bids = higher selling price

i dont see why ure complaining

10. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

Not so long ago, I saw such a thread on the second page of the west forum. It was for a 16/18/9 anni and the only offer was 1 hr. So I bid 1.5 hr and put it back at the top. What are the chances that if I hadn't, it would have slipped further down and eventually the single lowball would have been refused - no sale? Within a few days, it went for 2 hr. 1 hr for the anni doesn't compare to lem for that CoA, but it's still a lowball.

11. Voorhees

Voorhees IncGamers Member

I always look at it this way. You won't set a reasonable price because you want to see if you can get more. Why is it unreasonably for someone to bid low in hopes of achieving a lower price? Granted, it's fairly obvious that lem is very unreasonable for a coa of any caliber, but I think bets this low are mostly symbolic of the bidders annoyance with having to take part in the mutated auction style trading that people seem to be so fond of these days. Bottom line, if you're not willing to give a general range of what you're looking for, or some sort of minimum bid, then you get what you get for bids.:wink:

12. Mcwhopper

Mcwhopper IncGamers Member

If you dislike it then set a minimum for each trade you start: Make sure people know what's closable. Starting a trade thread without prices is kinda like trying to get someone who doesn't know the prices to bid way more than the item's worth.

13. zooply

zooply IncGamers Member

Ya but not all of the auctions are like that. Some people put up an item that they have no idea on the price on, and just wait and see what others bid.

But what if the other person does know the prices? Also stuff like, say a godly rare, is better for an auction with no set price, as it's harder to set a value.

Sellers: Don't complain about low bids when you set no minimum.

Buyers: Don't act surprised when you upset the seller after a ridiculous lowball.

Back on topic, I always thought those bids were people trying to help the seller by giving a free bump and getting things started, rather than looking for a steal. I may be wrong, or maybe there's more than just 1 intention going on around here.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  14. Mcwhopper

There is no way to steal : The seller will not sell for a low ball. It's very easy to just look for similar trade threads and check prices :)

15. SnickerSnack

SnickerSnack IncGamers Member

"A steal" is an english idiom for "very good deal."

16. Mcwhopper

Well that doesn't really matter : The point I made is still valid. Every seller that checks other threads for proper prices will not make a very good deal ( good for the buyer) unless he feels that for what ever reason the deal is also good for him.

17. zooply

zooply IncGamers Member

Little confused, but I'm guessing 'will not make a very good deal' means 'will not sell for a lowball'.

This is true to an extent. I try to look around at other threads and get price checks so I know what to expect. Problems come in though because either the seller doesn't bother to check around, or again it's one of those of those types of items to put a definite pricing on.

18. Mcwhopper

Let me rephrase: If a seller makes sure he is properly informed concerning prices (which can be done by either a PC or just using the search button and search for threads in which items similar to his were sold), then he will not give those buyers that are looking for said "good deal" that specific deal unless he thinks he is also getting something good from the trade or when he just doesn't care enough.

If a seller can't be bothered to check prices, then he should never complain when people try to get said "good deal".

19. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

You should also take into account the "desparation factor". If I have sixteen Tal's Ammys but I really really really need a Ko rune .... a swap Ko for Tal's ammy may be a good deal at the time.

It depends on what you need and whether you are willing to wait. Or bother to research.

It's a factor in sales that I have watched over the past ten years or so. People who are in a hurry will take a lower price, those who are happy to wait, will wait for the right buyer who is more desparate to buy what they have overpriced.

20. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

I absolutely despise people who make these games. Don't misunderstand, people like you who REALLY drop stuff are worthy of praise. However, 90% of such games: "Free If U W8-10" are created with the intention of MFing with high player count. They never actually drop anything. People like this make me want to rip their intestines out, and then strangle them with their own colon.