Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Perfect Act 2 Merc Gear...

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by Anarchist-DH, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Anarchist-DH

Anarchist-DH IncGamers Member

Perfect Act 2 Merc Gear...

Post here what you think would be perfect for our old reliable friends, the act 2 mercenaries.

Here are my choices...

Helm: Delerium
    Armor:Undecided
    Weapon:Bonehew

2. Dracoy

Dracoy IncGamers Member

dracoy.1colony.com

current projects=> down the page

works wonders for me ^___^

3. GenXCub

GenXCub IncGamers Member

If you're a necromancer, you REALLY don't want your merc wearing a delerium helmetfor these two reasons:
    14% Chance To Cast Level 13 Terror When Struck
    11% Chance To Cast Level 18 Confuse On Striking

Any curse you get will be overridden constantly.

If you're a boss runner, I think the best combination is Hone Sundan, Guillaume's Face, and pick an armor... I'd probably go with shaftstop. That combo has 80% Crushing Blow which will blow Meph and Baal away. Hopefully they'll be busy with your golem.

4. goofycaca

goofycaca IncGamers Member

I agree that Delirium is not a good idea on your merc. He get's hit entirely too often.

I just got my Bonehew today and I'm not completely sold on it yet. It's replacing a standard Act 5 magic drop weapon. No rares or uniques. His damage only increased about 150 points at both ends. I'm going to see how things go and socket the two Amn runes and see if that helps things. Otherwise I'm going to look at some of the runeword weapons for him.

5. Starcrunch

Starcrunch IncGamers Member

Also keep in mind that Arioc's Needle can improve his might levels by 4 which will make your army stronger.

-Starcrunch

6. unseenSNIPER

unseenSNIPER IncGamers Member

Is Guillamines+Bonehew better than HoneSudan+Guillamines?

7. jmprockstar

jmprockstar IncGamers Member

Bonehew prevents monster heal, if I remember correctly. That's the big advantage.

Found an eth Hone Sundan today. Tops out at 300 dmg before upgrade.

Reminds me, can you upgrade it if you already socketed it? I was too eager to equip it on my merc than to consider upgrading it. And I concur with the G'Face/Hone Sundan combo. I like the Tomb Reaver, too. MF and Resistances are killer, although you'll take a little longer (but not that much longer if you're using the Gface) to kill bosses.

EDIT: I currently use a 3-ptopazed Gris Armor, while waiting for another Skullder's to drop. That works fine.

8. Roach

Roach IncGamers Member

Might Merc.

Helm - Cham Eth Gaze 8ll, 20dr
    Armor - Bramble (21 Thorns)
    Weapon - Doom(Eth Cryptic Axe, PVP)), Cresent Moon (Eth Cryptic Axe, PVM)

9. Hyey

Hyey IncGamers Member

Roach using Doom for PvM is nice too, holy freeze is always a good asset... personally i love an eth stone armor, usually out of a loricated mail, got over 3k defense in the thing and it works just fine.

10. EuroJamie

EuroJamie IncGamers Member

Don't you get problems with corpses shattering when the holy freeze kicks in? My Merc's got a really nice rare polearm just now (ooer!), but the only thing that does my head in about it is that it's got 3-6 cold damage mod, which can be a real pain when I'm trying to amass my army and half the monsters he disposes of turn into little piles of frozen water. Aargh. :grrr:

11. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

The HF aura can be a small problem when trying to build your army. But once the army is up, the small amount of corpses that shatter are worth it.

12. Soepgroente

Soepgroente IncGamers Member

Don't forget that gravy ethereal tomb raver :drool:

13. belth

belth IncGamers Member

PMH doesn't work on mercs, so there goes that advantage.

There are numerous better choices than Bonehew for A2 merc weapons, a good Steel Pillar, Spire of Honor (upgraded) to name a couple that haven't been mentioned.

Andy Visage is a very nice helmet, just stick a 25+ fire res/15 IAS jewel in it. Beats Gaze any day.

14. treldonis

treldonis IncGamers Member

The latter(Hone/Guil) is great versus DClone/Baal other bosses. The former(Guil/Bone) is good for all the other instances. Depends if you are running bosses exclusively.

15. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

you can upgrade after sockets. also, don't forget the hel + tp scroll = unsocket (if your ladder)

For non boss running (general runs / baal runs [no kill baal]) I prefer using something along the lines of:
    vamp gaze (upgraded)
    bonehew (etheral prefered) shael + amn
    leviathan

The big defense, good leech, and dr keep him alive through pretty much anything.

If your boss running then I'd suggest a guillame's / hone sundan (etheral preffered / upgrade both) shael + shael + amn) / leviathan.

belth: are you certain that PMH doesn't work on mercs? I was under the impression it did, as my merc with it...well has PMH when smacking the crap out of someone.

g

16. jmprockstar

jmprockstar IncGamers Member

Not sure about the PMH point, but you're right about Andy's gaze. It's my merc's non-boss helm, although I haven't put a fire resist jewel in there. I let him take the heat, and he seems to do fine anyway. :)

17. belth

belth IncGamers Member

As sure as I can be. Couldn't find the thread (went thru 6 pages of search results, no luck) where it was explained in more detail on AB, but this thread should give you enough confirmation if you know who Adeyke is.

18. SgtPPS

SgtPPS IncGamers Member

what do you put into Hone ? all amn's or all sheals or a mix ? because if your set is guill /hone where would you get the leech from ? I traded for a guill it cut my killing baal and getting the first body for starting my ce firworks pretty quick when traveling my way down to baal's throne. I was thinking trying to trade for hone or should i stick with my bone/duriel/guill set up ? I only have a little over 300 mf now and still using full trangs set up with a gull dagger. i could have about 25 more mf but i like my teleport ammy i only use once i get into baals chamber and teleport on top of him.

19. treldonis

treldonis IncGamers Member

2 shaels and an amn or, if you upgrade it, a shael, hel and amn if your merc does not make the reqs.

Your setup works fine. You might want to change your armor once your merc is high enough with his resists through leveling. Shaftshop helps immensely with its damage reduce.

I don't speak for everyone but if you plan to purely go mf, you can get more than that eventually with uniques/runewords or perfect topazes.

20. unseenSNIPER

unseenSNIPER IncGamers Member

what is it with all of these 2xshael and 1x amn on the honesudan? is 2x amn and 1x shael for the 14%LL not good? if not, i'm going to have to unsocket an amn and toss in a shael.