Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Peculiar game half-freeze in Act 5

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Patch Bug Reports & Suggestions' started by phase42, Feb 25, 2004.

1. phase42

phase42 IncGamers Member

Peculiar game half-freeze in Act 5

This has happened to me three times now on B-Net:

In Act 5, I attempt to have Cain identify my items. Upon clicking "Identify Items", the game gets stuck after Cain's menu disappears. The reason I call this a "half-freeze" is that the game itself isn't locking up. It seems rather that the program execution is hanging right before the actual identification takes place. My merc still walks around. I can activate any keypresses that I can normally do while an NPC dialog/menu is up - press ~ to see what's in my belt, press TAB to show/hide the minimap, etc. Keypresses such as ESC, A (stats screen), O (merc screen) etc do not function. Pressing a number key doesn't cause make me drink a potion. My character and Cain will also be motionless, while everything around them moves normally.

So far, every time this has happened, I've been playing my new Concentrate barb (actually, one time I may have been using my Avenger pally). I also noticed that every time I got this "freeze", Cain was standing at the end of that short wall closest to the Stash. So I thought his position might have something to do with it. But then it happened for a fourth time, while doing business with Larzuk (more on that later).

After being "frozen" for about 2-3 minutes, I get booted from the game, with no "Your connection was interrupted" message. When I rejoin the game, my items are still unidentified. The reason I think something is going wrong right before the item identification is that when I return to the game, the items are still unidentified.

But here is the worst part: after I'm booted and I rejoin the game, everything that was on the ground is gone! A couple times this was just potions and a couple chippies and low-level runes. No biggie. But on one of these freezes, I lost a Radiance runeword Grand Crown that I had just brought in from a mule and which I was was one clvl away from being able to use! I had dropped it on the ground a few minutes earlier cuz I was storing it in my cube and needed to cube something. Then came the freeze, and it went POOF.

When this freeze happened with Larzuk, I chose to force-quit the game (command+option+esc on a Mac, ctrl+alt+del for you Windows guys). Then I relaunched the game quickly and rejoined the game. This time, everything was on the ground right where I left it. Whew. So now I know to force-quit when I freeze like this. I definitely think this is not lag-related. Each time it's happened, the game has been relatively lag-free. And normally, when I get booted with a "Your connection was interrupted" message, I can't rejoin the game ("Game does not exist"). With this bug(?) I can always rejoin.

Has anybody else seen this?

2. 694095

694095 IncGamers Member

This sounds like a server hicup. If you had your frame rate listing up (/fps), you would probably see your ping spring to 1k or 4k. If you attept to do anything that requires the sever's reponse during this time, such as starting/exiting NPC interaction, drinking pots, clicking on anything other then the interface, etc. it will eather fail, or occationally respond some time later. Strangely, the server still manages to hold the game open for longer then you would see in a lagged game. This is usually do to extreamly high data packet loss, which doesnt react the same as latency. The server you are on is probably hurting. I have always been dropped eventually when I experience this.
    If you are stuck with an NPC when this happens, and you have something inportant on the ground, press esc like mad. You may get out eventually, and you will have to do the same to pick up or move anything. If you get all that before you drop, Save and Exit, the server usually saves ok.

3. kryo

kryo IncGamers Member

I've had the freeze happen several times myself, but for me it happens during merc ressurections. Never had it happen with any other NPCs, but when it does I just alt-F4 and rejoin.

4. mantrid_drone

mantrid_drone IncGamers Member

Just thought I'd chime in and say this has happened countless times to me. I've only had this happen with cain and not another NPC. When it does happen, and I have to force the game to quit, it usually will happen again after I get back into diablo and try to identify. So I guess it could just be lag.

Although, I'd prefer that the server and my client both acknowledge that I'm asking for an identify instead of just locking up my client :scratch:

5. ShaggyTC

ShaggyTC IncGamers Member

I rarely use cain to id anything so can't say about a bug there... Was searching forums for merc rez bug tho..

This has happened to me several times... Glad to know I'm not the only one... I also have had to Alt+F4 to get out of it...

6. xKurupT

xKurupT IncGamers Member

ive had this happen before too... but my ping and **** stays the same.. and its happend to me in all acts... the game seams to freeze but u can still see people run past you, messages, party messages etc... it seams like the keyboard just stops working but you can still use control alt delete to zap the d2... do u play in window mode???? cause i do and it happens to me...