peacekeeping

I'm not sure I understand your question; the answers seem too obvious to me. Without some sort of peacekeeping, anarchy and chaos would swiftly take over. Stronger men would kill and or dominate weaker men, warlords would stake out territories, women who think they're downtrodden now would think more clearly, etc.
Think the movie, 'The Postman'.

Ash Housewares

Diabloii.Net Member
doesn't "peacekeeping" generally involve sending alot of men with guns into a region that already has alot of men with guns?

I never understood the whole concept of peacekeeping. Doesn't peace have to already exist in order to keep it? And if there is peace, why would we need someone to keep it? I think we should just call them unintentially-started international dispute keepers.

Hippie Holocost

Diabloii.Net Member
I think peacekeeping is a noble idea but like it has been pointed out already, it is rarely done correctly...

Note in Somolia... Peace keepers could only fire if they were being fired upon..... Meaning that they can't do anything unless someone does something to them, so if the "bad guys" don't touch the Peacekeepers, and just kill the people they were killing in the first place, then its pretty F'ing pointless...

dantose

Diabloii.Net Member
Ash Housewares said:
doesn't "peacekeeping" generally involve sending alot of men with guns into a region that already has alot of men with guns?
Yes, but we have bigger guns that make the mean people with lesser guns hang their head in embarassment.

Anakha1

Banned
Hippie Holocost said:
I think peacekeeping is a noble idea but like it has been pointed out already, it is rarely done correctly...

Note in Somolia... Peace keepers could only fire if they were being fired upon..... Meaning that they can't do anything unless someone does something to them, so if the "bad guys" don't touch the Peacekeepers, and just kill the people they were killing in the first place, then its pretty F'ing pointless...

I did work in Bosnia, though. There's been a tenuous peace there for almost 10 years since Canadian peacekeepers have been there. Of course, it's our specialty. :D

Hippie Holocost

Diabloii.Net Member
Anakha1 said:
I did work in Bosnia, though. There's been a tenuous peace there for almost 10 years since Canadian peacekeepers have been there. Of course, it's our specialty. :D

Then you found the exception..... :winner: