Peace is now a dirty word.

bladesyz

Diabloii.Net Member
Peace is now a dirty word.

linky

"Somebody could put up signs that say drop bombs on Iraq. If you let one go up you have to let them all go up," he said in a telephone interview Sunday.
I think they should ban beauty pageants too. It's obviously a pinko-commie-liberal-anti-war propaganda.

Yaboosh

Diabloii.Net Member
Seeing as how this is a private homeowner's association, I find it hard to be too troubled by this.

SaroDarksbane

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
That's pretty sad, I must say. I hate homeowner associations. I have never heard anything positive about them.
Kearns ordered the committee to require Jensen to remove the wreath, but members refused after concluding that it was merely a seasonal symbol that didn't say anything. Kearns fired all five committee members.
That made me laugh. Apparently, the only one who really cares is Kearns.

Talga Vasternich

Diabloii.Net Member
The board has the authority to tell her to take it down and fine her if she doesn't comply.
She knows this.

What's the problem?

SaroDarksbane

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
The board has the authority to tell her to take it down and fine her if she doesn't comply.
She knows this.

What's the problem?
The problem is that she doesn't agree, and she's counting on public outrage to quell the idiots on the board.

Isn't free speech wonderful?

SaroDarksbane

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
What's a homeowners' association and how can they make her pay?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeowners_association

When you buy a house in some neighborhoods, you agree to be bound by the decisions of a central board, which will tell you all the things you can and can't do with your house, and which will impose fines and other nasty things on you if you don't comply.

Basically, it's like having an extra layer of government over you, except that there's no appeal process or checks and balances.

Talga Vasternich

Diabloii.Net Member
The problem is that she doesn't agree, and she's counting on public outrage to quell the idiots on the board.

Isn't free speech wonderful?
This is not a freedom of speech issue.
She signed an agreement when she joined the association to abide by their rules. One of those rules prohibits her from putting that up without prior approval. If she doesn't like it, she can change it... but until the rules are changed, she is subject to the fines.
The association president may be being blockhead, but he's well within his rights to enforce the agreement.

Croup

Diabloii.Net Member
He's well within his rights, but that doesn't mean that he's right. I don't think anyone here is truly saying that this is indicitive of our civil liberties going down the drain. Rather, I think it's a case of someone being way too concerned over something small and unnecessary, and it's nice to see that someone isn't going to stand for being bullied.

buttershug

Diabloii.Net Member
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homeowners_association

When you buy a house in some neighborhoods, you agree to be bound by the decisions of a central board, which will tell you all the things you can and can't do with your house, and which will impose fines and other nasty things on you if you don't comply.

Basically, it's like having an extra layer of government over you, except that there's no appeal process or checks and balances.
And it's even worse if the president of the association makes a golem out of trash to enforce the rules. And Mulder and Scully might not be able to save everyone.

WebDragon

Diabloii.Net Member
When real-estate development companies finish construction on large housing projects, they want to sell the houses/aparments and be out for good. Thus, the ownership of all the public areas/facilities in that project gets transfered equally to all owners, via the Homeowner's Association.

Also, the responsibility for the upkeep of such areas and other top-level decisions that affect the whole project again fall to this association. That is the real function of such associations. They're not there to interfere, but to manage. What *some* of these associations become shouldn't reflect on the actual healthy role that such associations play in modern day housing.

As for the issue at hand, I think its absurd of them to ask her to take that thing down, if not on ground that its simply not offensive, then on the ground that its seasonal decoration that she herself said she plans to take down after christmas. Usually there is a clause that allows all owners to put up seasonal decorations, within reason.

pancakeman

Diabloii.Net Member
I think the OP is blowing this out of proportion. It is a simple case of one homeowner going amd with power, and deciding that he/she doesn't like the wreath, so it should be taken down. This isn't a national level. It is stoopid that this is happening, but is hardly anything serious.

HOA = Suburban Nazis.

You want a solution to them? Don't join. If you do and they go on a power trip then I suggest you make friends with George Hayduke. 100% guaranteed that a little applied use of his friendship will result in the cessation of their arsehattery.

Ikeren

Diabloii.Net Member
wreath with a peace sign that some say is an anti-
Iraq war protest or a symbol of Satan.
What? By Satanism, the peace sign is not a symbol of Satan. By Christianity, it isn't a symbol of Satan. By pretty much every concept of "Satan", the peace sign doesn't make sense. I don't know what sort of dellusional moron guess "Symbol of Satan" upon seeing a WREATH WITH A PEACE SIGN.

Ikeren

Diabloii.Net Member
True. Although I would argue that with could also apply, since it implies possessive, and the peace sign is encapsulated within the wreath....nevermind.
The 1972 edition of Symbol Sourcebook: An Authoritative Guide to International Graphic Symbols, a major reference work by Henry Dreyfuss, admits to uncertainty about the source of the "crow's foot" design.

"Controversy surrounds the origin of the ubiquitous peace symbol," Dreyfuss wrote. "It was introduced by pacifist Lord Bertrand Russell during Easter of 1958, when he marched at Aldermaston, England, campaigning for nuclear disarmament."

Dreyfuss said the symbol, designed by a British commercial artist, most likely represents the convergence of the semaphore symbols for the letter
•
and D and the circle symbol, for total nuclear disarmament. Others claim the symbol represents an upside-down cross with broken arms and is therefore anti-Christian or Satanic.
http://www.durangoherald.com/asp-bin/article_generation.asp?article_type=news&article_path=/news/06/news061126_2.htm

A) First used by a peace activist in England for Nuclear Disarmament
B) Designed by a British Commerical Artist
C) Uses D for Disarament +Circle for Total/All/World.
D) "Maybe if we turn it upsidedown and look at it funny it is something evil."

Hey, I hear if you fold a dollar bill you can see the twin towers and the whitehouse burning. [email protected]!!!1