Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PDR spearazon: help wanted

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by humbuggerer, Jun 27, 2010.

1. humbuggerer

humbuggerer Diabloii.Net Member

PDR spearazon: help wanted

Recently I gambled a perfect Valkyrie's Amulet of Life Everlasting:

Code:
    Valkyrie's Amulet of Life Everlasting
    Amulet
    Required Level: 67
    Fingerprint: 0x6d8cc14b
    Item Level: 91
    Version: Expansion 1.10+
    Properties: 
    Damage Reduced by 25
    +2 to Amazon Skill Levels

This got me thinking if it would be viable to make a PDR spearazon, perhaps using fend as a primary skill but my knowledge of zons isn't that great as I haven't actually played any yet. D/A/E wouldn't be needed, which should be a bonus. Right?

The weapon I thought best would be a 'silence' war pike or something similar. (I have two vex runes from LK and don't play casters much, so hoto isn't a priority. I don't mind spending vex on a novelty build, as long as it is really novel. lol.)

If my arithmetic is right, I can get close to 100 PDR from armor, hat, rings, and of course the amulet. Is this enough?

Also, since this is the SPF, I should ask: has anyone made this type of build before?

2. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned Diabloii.Net Member

Re: PDR spearazon: help wanted

I'd tell you, but my circlet rolled 1 socket.

100 PDR should suffice (I assume you're doing Glad's Bane (~25), amulet (25), Nature's x2 (20), some kind of circlet (20+)?). But if you use a 'Silence' War Pike just make sure it goes as fast as you want it to. Intuitively I feel that a Mat Spear might be better for Jab/Fend, especially when you're relying on your belt/gloves for IAS only.

If you're interested what happened with mine: I tried doing pure PDR, then some %DR/PDR hybrid, then I just ditched all that, deleted her (which was a dumb move in retrospect), and re-made one that went damage (Hone Sundan, 'Fortitude', etc.).

If you want to conserve the Vex runes then maybe use a high roll Stone Raven. It's somewhat similar to 'Silence' minus the HCMTF/HBT.

[edit] I might consider respeccing my current Fendazon to a %DR/PDR/Soul Drainer set-up someday, I never got around to trying that.

3. humbuggerer

Sucks about the sockets. :doh: that's one of the worst things about D2, socketing blue items.

I didn't realize I had one of those, but evidently I've got that covered:
    Code:
    Stoneraven
    Matriarchal Spear
    Two Hand Damage: 242 - 354
    Durability: 17 of 28
    Required Level: 64
    Required Strength: 114
    Required Dexterity: 142
    Fingerprint: 0xb3e2ef8f
    Item Level: 86
    Version: Expansion 1.10+
    Properties: 
    273% Enhanced Damage
    +504 Defense
    +101 - 187 Magic Damage
    +2 to Javelin and Spear Skills (Amazon Only)
    All Resistances +50

stoneraven, 20 IAS => 6 frame fend.
    'silence' war pike, 30% IAS => 7 frame fend, and the damage is comparable...
    I think part of the idea was that the attack speed isn't so vital when her attack is basically uninterruptible. (right??)

And yes, the setup I had in mind is similar to what you mentioned, though I only have one Nature's peace at the moment, and it's a low roll, so I would probably use a circlet of life everlasting w/ 2x sol.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  4. XCodes

XCodes Diabloii.Net Member

Use CTA switch for Battle Cry. That will ease up your PDR demands a little and let you go with items like Arkaine's Valor and Raven Frost instead of one of the Nature's Peace and GBane for a little more offense.

5. humbuggerer

hmmm.. while battle cry sounds useful, I couldn't imagine using it frequently. Too much weapon swapping for my taste.. maybe 'helhel' bonehew on swap instead.

Arkaine's is interesting, but I don't think the benefits are all that beneficial. +skills isn't going to do much. The CBF from glad's bane seems better to me, as the +dex and AR mods on raven frost shouldn't be necessary. I think a ring with resistances makes more sense, though raven would give a big chunk of base AR. If her resistances and AR can be taken care of, gore riders + crafted blood gloves would be a bigger boost in killing power I think.

6. bcoe

bcoe Diabloii.Net Member

I really like the idea, though I'd strongly consider a "Silence" matriarchal spear/pike. Made in a +3 spear skills base, you'd get +5 skills, +75 resists, some IAS, some MF - really a beautiful weapon. I made one, and used it to make a lightning spearazon (focussing on lightning strike and charged strike), and it was extremely powerful (mat thread here.)

LS and CS are fabulous killers for spread out groups and single enemies respectively. The only trouble with my gal was that she was susceptible to being mobbed by big groups of enemies. LS didn't kill quite quick enough to take them out before they damaged her. My solution was to use a "delerium" merc and it worked great. With big PDR, she could have tanked them fine and not needed the crowd control as much. If you have Infinity for the merc, I'd simply max LS, CS and synergies. Without it, I'd use fend as a LI solution and use the rest for/LS. I think it will be great - and I am looking forward to the mat thread...

7. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned Diabloii.Net Member

If you do go the LS route, you should go with 'Silence' like bcoe said, or at least something with HCMTF so you can force them to spread out to minimize Next Delay's effect on LS and mobs. SSoG has a good guide on a "FearZon" (using Fend/Zeal with lots of HCMTF to force them to disperse, and then use Lightning Strike to finish them off) on the Amazon Basin, you'll have to check it out there.

8. humbuggerer

@bcoe: I saw your mat thread at some point.. it may have been part of the reason I'd thought of using 'silence' in the first place. And a using a matriarchal spear is something I hadn't considered :scratchchin: .. 'silence' in a +3 base would be pretty sweet for a lightning spearazon build. I don't have infinity, but I don't think that's too much of an obstacle. I have a feeling the lightning skills would still beat out physical damage by a fair bit.

I guess I need to go experiment with lightning strike and read up on the Fearzon...

Thanks guys :thumbup:

9. thefranklin

thefranklin Diabloii.Net Member

Why not man up and make a CTA mat spear? Then you can use battle cry with no switching, and the mods are pretty good too!

10. humbuggerer

:punk:

took me forever to find the right emoticon...

11. XCodes

XCodes Diabloii.Net Member

Getting even decent resists with a CTA Mat Spear and 90+ PDR is hard. Really, really hard. That's why I wound up not suggesting it. If you go that route, you'll probably have to aim for just getting out of the negatives in Hell and also stacking up what MDR you can. I think in that case it would actually be better to cut the Sols and use Ums or 15% res all jewels. You won't be able to completely negate damage from attacks like you would with 100 PDR, but you won't get torn to shreds by elemental damage.

12. Paradigmshift

Paradigmshift Diabloii.Net Member

Seems this has been popular lately on the spearies and the PDR route. I mat'd a PDR fendazon just in the last couple of months or so and have yet to do a mat thread as I am sure I should have done by now.

For the whole story, I'll get the mat thread up in the next couple of hours. As far as advice here goes, I'll offer the eth Hone Sundan upp'd of course. I used 2 shael and an Amn in mine and it worked great. Crushing Blow ftw. I considered all of the choices that have been offered here so far: Silence, CtA, and even eBoTd. The eHS was far better in my opinion due to relative cheapness vs effectiveness and the fact that I already had a CtA that I could use on switch. The Sundan allows you to forego Goreriders and squeeze another 4 PDR out of your boots along with much needed resists. I was able to manage 98 PDR in my build and that was more than enough for most creatures in the game.

Snakes in the WSK? They don't scratch her... just as everyone has said, the taur's frenzied up with nasty mods are the ones to watch out for.

13. onderduiker

onderduiker Diabloii.Net Member

Charging Serpent Magi that spawn in the Worldstone Keep Level 2 and Throne of Destruction only apply approximately 5-10 physical damage regardless of player count in Hell, and 48-96 magic damage (which increases to 69-138 on /players 8). The Pit Vipers that spawn in the Glacial Trail and Icy Cellar are similarly non-threatening but charging Claw Vipers in any other areas of Act 5 are much more dangerous, as are all charging Reanimated Horde: be particularly careful when confronted with an Aura Enchanted Unique with Might, since this also applies a synergy bonus to their Charge...

14. humbuggerer

Thanks for the input, Paradigmshift. I'll look at that mat thread. eth Hone sundan is obviously a great fend weapon, though the resistances would be pretty scary. Right now I'm leaning towards stoneraven and lightning skills (I don't have a suitable base for 'silence' atm)

I think I've experienced this while running pindle... ouch.

15. onderduiker

onderduiker Diabloii.Net Member

Pindleskin and his minions use level 8 Charge in Hell, which applies +275% Enhanced Damage to 51-117 base physical damage and thus results in 191.25-438.75 physical damage.

When Aura Enchanted with level 14 [(83+3)/6] Might, a further +170% ED results in a minion's Charge applying approximately 277.95-637.65 physical damage. A further +280% ED is applied to Pindleskin's Charge as a synergy bonus, resulting in 420.75-965.25 physical damage; on /players 8, this increases to 602.25-1,386 physical damage, which a critical hit would double to 1,204.5-2,772.

While high integer damage reduction will neutralise the threat of 95% of monsters 95% of the time (particularly when combined with -% ED from Weaken, Decrepify, Battle Cry or Taunt), it needs to be remembered that in certain circumstances it barely makes a dent in monster damage (Decrepify's -50% ED and DR 100 would only reduce a critical hit from a charging Might Enchanted Pindleskin on /players 8 to 1,031.5-2,504) and the only thing that will save you is high life, or not getting hit in the first place.

16. Paradigmshift

Paradigmshift Diabloii.Net Member

My 98 pdr zon takes about 200 damage from a single charge by one of Pindle's minions. You are right in that it is the 5% of the monster population that hits really hard that are the problems. But like others when comparing PDR vs %DR have said, it depends on the damage being taken on which is more effective overall.