Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PC Problem. Need some Advice

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by aishilee, May 20, 2008.

1. aishilee

aishilee IncGamers Member

PC Problem. Need some Advice

Hi guys.

My home is using a Dell PC shared by my 2 brothers..
    The first few months of use were rather smooth. quick start-up and loading of programs.

the com became real slow suddenly recently..
    The boot up time was around 15mins. From pressing the on button to opening up to the OS to waiting for all the pre-program to load up. The pre loading at the startup was really really slow. took about 14mins the last time i timed.

I checked for spyware, virus and even cleaned up registry using the CCleaner.
    The computer is still very slow during the start up. The Harddisk still got tons of space.

My Guess was the installation of Norton Anti Virus by my brother. I have heard before that 2 anti virus program will crash the whole system. Wonder if this is true.

Or is there other things that might made the boot-up into snail-like pace?
    what are the options do i have?
    Should i reformat the PC ?

2. Holysinner

Holysinner IncGamers Member

Re: PC Problem. Need some Advice

First thing I'd suggest is see how long it takes to boot into Safe Mode. That prevents startup apps (including the AV) from loading, and even if a virus snuck through your scans, it likely wouldn't be loaded into memory in Safe Mode.

If it still takes the ~15 minutes to boot to SM, then you could try a System Restore to a date prior to when the problem appeared, otherwise you're probably looking at a clean reinstall (format if you like, but it may save time to just wipe out /Windows and reinstall).

Edit: From re-reading your post, it sounds like what's taking especially long is the startup apps, as in it gets to the Desktop in reasonable time, but remains busy for 14 minutes before the cursor hourglass goes away. If that's it, and you get a normal boot in Safe Mode, then use MSCONFIG to prevent most startup apps from loading. And yes, running multiple AV apps will significantly slow the system, might as well uninstall one.

3. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

Are these brothers teenagers?

4. aishilee

one 16, i am 20 , the other one 24.

ok. i think i will just reformat.

hmm okay, Having multiple anti Virus software in a system will crash the PC > ? is this true?

5. Holysinner

Shouldn't crash it, just significantly slow it down. Seriously, (potentially) save yourself some time before reformatting and check whether the problem is just an overabundance of startup programs. Booting to Safe Mode (hit F8 right after POST), or running MSCONFIG with a Diagnostic Startup will tell you that.

6. aishilee

I shall try it when i get home.

Working right now.

Hmm, but what is safemode ? what does it do compared to normal mode ?

7. Holysinner

It's a crippled version of normal mode to aid in troubleshooting. It only loads essential services, minimal drivers, and no startup apps. You can get to it from the Startup Menu by pressing F8 right after the Dell logo goes away and Windows just begins to load.

8. superjayson

superjayson IncGamers Member

i think what holysinner said makes sense.

i had a similair problem and that was because of two things

1) the specs on my comp werent exactly top notch
    2) i had way too many programs that automantically starting up everytime i booted up the comp.

its a common problem, especially with multiple people using the same comp. people download/install crap and set it to start when windows start.

id try what he suggested before anything else. formatting isnt the only option for when something goes wrong..

9. Holysinner

To be clear, booting to Safe Mode in and of itself won't fix anything, but if takes much less time to boot into it than into Normal Mode, you know the problem is related to what doesn't get loaded in SM, most of which is startup apps. To prevent those from loading, the easiest method is to run MSCONFIG. Reboot to Normal, then:
    Start->Run (or since Vista hides the Run box, you can press WinKey+R)
    type MSCONFIG [Enter]
    Uncheck Load Startup Items (unless you're running Windows ME, as doing so in that old OS would remove System Restore backups)

If you get a normal (load time) boot like that, you can go back into MSCONFIG, go to the Startup tab and add back any items that you really want to have load. You can look up the names online if you're not sure what each does.

10. aishilee

Yea. Solved now. Uninstall Norton Internet Sercurity From my PC.
    boot-up time had been reduced dramactically.
    thanks !

11. Gertlex

Gertlex Banned

Use AVG or Avast! as your alternative (free) virus scanner. (They're both good, neither perfect, and subject to personal opinion; I use the latter)