Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

pc <--> mac trading

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by krzyhobo, May 26, 2005.

1. krzyhobo

krzyhobo IncGamers Member

pc <--> mac trading

Are character save files (D2S?) transferable between Windows and Mac OSX with items and all onboard?

2. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

Yuppers that is affermative(sp) although their is no atma equlivant for the mac(macs are awesome) i think durf would know more than i do as he plays on a mac... GL man

3. krzyhobo

Thank you, sir.

Sooner or later I'm going to be in a situation where I only have access to a Mac and was just thinking of ways to keep my stuff available. I suppose I better start putting what few items I have on mules instead of in ATMA stashes.

That is unless someone completely recodes ATMA for Mac within the next two weeks :D (Yes, I'm kidding)

4. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

Why use a Mac?

No, I'm not going to repeat the PC vs Mac debate again. Just interested to know why you make such sacrifice.

You could always mule using TCP/IP.

5. farting bob

farting bob Banned

Maybe he's an art student. Its a proven fact that all art students thinks macs r0xx0r. I have 3 friends in college who do art, and all use macs. freeks. :uhhuh:

6. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Hey Bob, that's interesting. All the boneheads I know use Windows. :uhhuh:

7. Uzziah

Uzziah IncGamers Member

Mac's are built for design and artsy (if that's even a word) computation. windows was designed by a business man with little regard to anything else but accounting. The problem is no school system in their right mind teaches Mac, linex, unix or any other OS to the general student population. You have to learn it yourself or go to special classes for it. I would perfer the penguin to any other OS, but I have trouble using that OS and haven't been taught it complete enough to use it as my main computer OS. Mac's without a mouse are pretty complex to use, other OS's work much better.

Boneheads is a very interesting term, as far as I know all humans have skulls for a head and all natural skulls are made of bone. therefore boneheads are natural and human.

on topic
    there are more limited ways to trade with a Mac, a few of which are TCP-IP, open battle net, and email files (with the ability to run 2 D2 games yourself).

8. farting bob

farting bob Banned

I use windows to let the light in, otherwise it would be very dark all day. Doesnt your house have any windows? :uhhuh:
    EDIT @ uzziah: Maybe mac users have some sort of stylish white plastic skull instead?

9. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

oh get off it all of you, each OS has it s advantages, and every1 shall choose which one to use...

anyway, for your mac question : yes, it is possible. you can just copy the d2s files and load them on the mac. you can only mule on tcp ip games though. i for my part started making copies of the char files i had items on and putting em in folders named along the line of "wizzy/bonehew/..."

there of course comes the problem of dupes... if you wanna do it realy clean, you have to backup your original char file, load the copied one, throw away all items taht arent to be muled away, save it in the folder, load original back in, throw away the items taht you muled away, and then play on... rather time consuming, but the only way i know of on macs :)

10. krzyhobo

Thanks Twoflower for the only actual advice :D

As for the Mac, it isn't by choice, I'm in love with my dual boot Windows/Gentoo machine but it's going to be on loan for a while.

Honestly, however, I think Apple has created a superior product and not just in it's style. For the average *NIX junkie and long-time computer user the ability to operate my computer almost exclusively with keyboard shortcuts is a tremendous positive and is something not only available, but highly customizable, in Mac OSX. Mac OSX is also a much more capable multi-tasker as it's significantly easier to switch between open windows with multiple minimizeation options. Really the only thing I'll likely miss is ATMA. *Sigh*

And hey, my art school friends all use Macs. Some music editing software, until extremely recently, hasn't even been available for Wintel machines. I haven't had the opportunity to examine their skulls.

11. water_moon

water_moon IncGamers Member

I liked my PC w/ Geoworks, unfourtunatly I no longer have a printer that works with it, and it's no longer supported so I can't just put the new driver on... *sigh* I hope you get your fav comp back soon hobo!

12. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

hmm if you have one of the newer OSX versions on a decent mac, you can try and run virtualpc... atma should work there :)

back when i had a mac, virtualpc was crap, but maybee that changed :uhuh:

13. LeorictheDark

LeorictheDark IncGamers Member

[hijax]

My computer is better than your computer :p

[/hijax]

14. krzyhobo

NEVAAAAHR!!

P.S. Doesn't Virtual PC force you to actually run a full copy of Windows? As much as I love ATMA, that seems like overkill. I might be wrong, however.

15. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Virtual PC is just that--a virtual PC. You can run some flavor of Windows on it, or DOS if you prefer. In any case I don't think ATMA runs without 'Doze, so if that's what you need . . .

I got VPC7 + WinXP as part of Office 2004 Pro when I upgraded recently. I installed it but haven't had time to figure out how to make ATMA go find all my goodies . . . The thing really crawls on my 1.2GHz G4 machine. I need a dual 2.7 G5, NOW! :eek:

16. Twoflower

Twoflower Banned

yeah, you need to install windows insidevirtual pc, took me more than a hour only for installing when i last tried... as i said, you may wanna try this if you have one of the new shiny fast macs :)

17. Howitzer Al

Howitzer Al IncGamers Member

VPC7 works decently on my dual 2.0 G5 tower. I have it running Win2000. No speed demon or anything, but it loads up ATMA just fine. Graphics seem a little laggy though.

@durf: Feeeel my G5! Touch it! :D

EDIT: also @durf: I remember having to set up something in order to have VPC access folders on the Mac. You have to make sure Folder Sharing is turned on or installed or something like that. I was then able to just map network drives to specific folders on the Mac.

18. Howitzer Al

Howitzer Al IncGamers Member

Yes it does, but if you already have (or can get hold of) a version of Windows that you can install, then you're set.