Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

PB is slow?!?!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by masterazn, Jun 9, 2005.

1. masterazn

masterazn Banned

PB is slow?!?!

Okay, so I thought 1.67GHz would be totally godly (used to run a 933MHz). But apparently, it's not. I'm running iTunes, msn, ichat and safari and it's really slow for some reason. I haven't shut down since i got this computer...would that be the reason? Or do I need more RAM? I only have 512Mb of RAM....I've been sorting my iTunes library for the past 4 hours.

Anyway, i was planning to stick in 2Gb of ram anyway...will this solve my problem or is there anything else i can do in the meantime?

2. Geeno

Geeno IncGamers Member

3. bluedragoon

bluedragoon IncGamers Member

whats that weird thing in ur link ?

4. PatMaGroin

PatMaGroin IncGamers Member

That light, it hurts my eyes...

5. ogogo on ice

ogogo on ice IncGamers Member

I must say, when I read the title of this thread I expected it be about how it takes lead (Pb) too long to kill somebody...

6. garublador

garublador IncGamers Member

I thought he might be trying to pour peanut butter. I was going to say, "Just use a knife and spread it!"

7. djIgneo

djIgneo IncGamers Member

[moviequote]

"Gosh! You're such an idiot!"

[/moviequote]

8. Omikron8

Omikron8 IncGamers Member

Go for a gig of DDR RAM :)

9. Keldaris

Keldaris IncGamers Member

I know you haven't shut down, but have you defragmented, and run a disc cleanup? if not try it out. also run a a spybot search. this should allow your computer to preform a bit better

10. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

Wait, what? I thought the Megahertz Myth was just that, a myth! Don't tell me that Jobs has been lying all these years!

T.T

11. Hatsepsut

Hatsepsut Banned

Aarrgghh /me still don't get the PB part!:eek:

12. masterazn

masterazn Banned

PB = PowerBook

So yeah...no spybot...I don't know how to defragment my disk on MAC OSX.

13. Rius666

Rius666 IncGamers Member

what do u mean by "slow" exactly? Does it take a long time to pull something up, to display something on the screen, to get a program started etc.? I really think that 512 mb of RAM would be enough considering ur only running iTunes, Safari, and some other misc stuff. If u need to upgrade to a gig of ram just b/c of that then it really must mean that stuff ont he background is bogging down ur memory. I dont know if u can check all the stuff that is using ur memory on a PB but on windows Ctrl+alt+delete will bring up the task manager where u can check on everything that is currently running on ur machine and see how much memory it is using.

If you can check how much total memory you are using up then do that first before you go out and buy m ore ram. It could also be b/c of a slower HD, which would only effect things such as pulling up programs and other forms of file access.

A 1.67 ghz PB is good enough to be able to handle those things so its not the CPU. The only other component that would affect ur PB would be RAM or HD or some sort of virus.

Lastly I would suggest u visit one of the millions of mac forums out there and see if you can find someone whos had similar problems and see what they did to fix it.

Where is KOW when u need him? Hes all things Mac.

14. Hatsepsut

Hatsepsut Banned

Now this is an occasion where I look for a doh! smiley...

15. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Spybots: Not an issue
    Defragging: Done automatically during downtime

I'd definitely recommend more RAM, fast. I've got 640 in my PowerBook and am going to 1.25GB soon. The more the merrier!

If you open up Terminal.app (in the Utilities folder) and type
    then you get a list of the running processes and the CPU percentage they're eating. That will tell you what's slowing you down. At the top of that "top" info screen you'll also see something that looks like
    30000(0) pageins, 2000(0) pageouts
    If the # of pageouts is high it's an indication that you could use more physical RAM.

One "cleanup" thing you can do is to (again in Terminal) type
    sudo periodic daily
    It'll ask for the admin password. Type it in and you will get some cache files and such cleared out. You can follow this up with
    sudo periodic weekly
    sudo periodic monthly
    These cache-clearing tasks get done automatically in the early hours of the morning if your computer is on all the time, but if you put it to sleep or shot it down then this is a way to manually force the tasks to take place.

16. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Durf said some good stuff. I am betting it is MSN, Microsoft is very bad at coding for OS X and won't let iChat send to MSN.

Thankfully we were promised a new MSN in the next month or two, which should add video too.

How long total has it been since iTunes started sorting? I know that the sort accesses the drive almost constantly, so that is a big factor.

I usually have iChat, Safari with about 20 tabs(Too many forums. . .), iTunes(using AirTunes), Mail, a few small Unix apps like Bwanadik and a handful of Widgets. I have 768mb of RAM(bumping it to 1.5gigs soon) so I don't have too much more RAM than you and I have a slower processor.

There is probably more, but I can't think right now.

17. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

MSN is most likely a huge part of the problem. Like KOW said, Microsoft apps are notoriously crappy for Mac. IE? Slow. Office? When it needs to use processor, it's really slow. WMP? Even if you're running it by itself it sucks.

I've got a 533 mHz with 640 RAM, and iChat, iTunes, Mail, Safari, a handful of background apps are pretty much always running, and I can add a processor taxing app or two and I'm still usually fine.

When you say "sorting" you iTunes, do you mean just messing around and updating song info? Or do you mean something else?

18. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

He means adding all the songs and creating the XML library for the first time, he had over 40 gigs(right?) to do, so it would take a while.

19. masterazn

masterazn Banned

Yeah, I was adding and editing a lot of songs....I was importing the rest of my CDs and now I'm totalling almost 60GB.

Anyhow, it might be MSN. Now what's this I hear about webcam for MSN? I looked this up a while ago and it seemed like the general consensus was to not expect webcam support in msn 5 for mac. Something about microsoft having put off the msn for mac development team or something......everyone (on forums and such) was saying things along the lines of "don't expect webcam for msn on mac for the next 50000000 years".

anyhow, I will just go and upgrade my RAM, how much will two sticks of 1Gb cost for my PB?

Also, this PB is advertised to have 4.5Hours of battery life, of course, i'm not expecting 4.5.....i expected maybe 3, but I'm getting barely 2 while running nothing but bluetooth and watching a DVD. I'm on lowest CPU power thingy and my screen is not insanely bright and my keyboard lighting is off....is this normal? Does the DVD drive use that much battery?

20. Ev_

Ev_ IncGamers Member

Oh well that's another big reason. If iTunes is sitting there importing hundreds of songs, of course you're gonna be a little slower.

Short answer, yes. You're reading constantly off the DVD drive for 2 straight hours.