Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Paying for emails to reduce spam?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Raft Boy, Mar 6, 2004.

1. Raft Boy

Raft Boy IncGamers Member

Paying for emails to reduce spam?

Clicky

Who will control it? Will rates increase like stamps do? And will it truely slow down spammers? Or is this the worst. Idea. Ever?

-Rafty

2. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

Worst idea ever. That´s just my gut feeling though. I can´t really give you any reason... I just think it´s a bad thing or something. I know that I´d never buy an e-stamp. If I have to pay to send a message I might as well send a real letter.

One funny fact. I´ve never recieved a single piece of spam mail in my life... ever. Am I some sort of freak? I have a yahoo adress that I use and an older spray adress that I don´t really use anymore. I´ve had the older adress for about four years, I think, and the yahoo one for about two. I have still not had a single piece of spam delivered to either of them. Am I lucky or is it just that people don´t love me enough to spam me?

3. ShadoweOrbe

ShadoweOrbe IncGamers Member

I've heard it talked about, and I really don't agree with it. I don't think people are going to go for it either. How would a teenager pay for it? I know parents that wouldn't pay for their kid to have an email address. I don't think spam is really that big of a problem, but maybe that's because I'm on a school email server. The biggest thing to remember is to not post your email address anywhere in plain text, because web crawlers nab those very quickly. There are a lot of good programs out there for spam blocking.

I don't get that much spam, and when I do I almost always delete it right off the bat without thinking about it, its not reallly an issue for me.

4. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

/me rubs the orbe

He's so right. If you don't give out your e-mail, you won't recieve spam. Set up a hotmail or yahoo address for places where you know you'll get spam from after you sign up. And save your real e-mail address for business. Now if you work for a company where your address is posted online, I'm not quite sure what to tell you. Other than you need to rub the orbe.

5. Kawaii

Kawaii IncGamers Member

Haha, look at the picture of Gates... He looks like some sort of priest. :D
    Seriously, it's not THAT annoying with spam... It''s more like taking 5 secs/day to delete unwanted messages... I'm never paying for my emails with friggin stamps.

6. NightShade

NightShade IncGamers Member

If you listen real hard, he's chanting "oh..moneymoneymoneymoney" over and over

7. Freemason

Freemason Banned

Techtv.com yesterday on either Call for Help or Screen Savers showcased a program that can learn to recognize spam and eliminate it. Really slick.

For spam, I could see there being charges for people who send it out more than 300 at a time. That'd take forever for the crap spam to get out. Or they'd just eat the cost. Maybe it's not that good of an idea...

For the average person though, no way in hell I'd pay to send an e-mail. Instant Messengers would suddenly become THE thing to have and e-mail would vanish. The gov't has been and always will be behind the times when it comes to the internet.

8. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

Except I think I heard one of those 'spam-blocking' programs used by AOL, blocked 300 acceptance letters from a college (may have been Harvard?)

So obviously thats not the choice.

9. Freemason

Freemason Banned

That's the beauty of that program, it has an AI that's bright enough to tell the difference between an acceptance letter and spam. You still have to teach it what is and isn't spam, but wouldn't it be worth it?

10. dantose

dantose IncGamers Member

if a college isn't going to send me a physical acceptance then screw em

11. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

Why should a college that makes mucho dinero from poor kids yearning to learn send them a letter that costs 37 cents (been so long since i have sent a letter, is that right?) and say 2 cents for the paper, 2 cents for the envelope, and about 2 cents for the ink.

Not knowing the tuition of this particular college, I know certain ones will put you out $100,000 and this would obviously not cover the 43 cents.

12. Starfishied

Starfishied IncGamers Member

I don't mind spam, and I also don't favor Bill Gates being any more richer than he is now.

13. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

I don't get spam. Ever. So I'm not interested in this dumb idea.

14. CaptJoe213

CaptJoe213 IncGamers Member

why not? I mean, it's one more good excuse for not writing siblings/annoying friends/others you dont wish to.....if the computer crash dont work, you can always say I'm out of e-stamps....

15. Cmdr_Adeon

Cmdr_Adeon IncGamers Member

As others have said it isn't realy required. Besides junk mailers send out tons of junk mail to physical addresses and they have to pay for it - they just payt a cheaper rate as its bulk mail. I predict the same thing would happen with this system.

16. Satrina

Satrina IncGamers Member

:lol: Looks like BillyBob is smoking one heck of a joint :lol:

I dunno how, but Hubby has ours set up so we don't get any spam at all :jig:

The thing is, you already pay for net access and such. Why have to pay even more for that? :scratch:

17. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Sounds good. Spammers will never figure out how to bounce their mail off of commandeered computers belonging to Windows idiots who clicked on that .pif file the other day, or how to use servers in the Ukraine instead. :rolleyes:

18. Raft Boy

Raft Boy IncGamers Member

*clicks on piff*

Was something supposed to happen? :teeth:

Anyway, I get the feeling that even if they tried to pass something like this, the uproar would be so huge, that not even blaming Durf could make it all better.

-Rafty