Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Pay to play? Assassins?

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by weenis, Jul 1, 2008.

1. weenis

weenis IncGamers Member

Pay to play? Assassins?

Anyone know if this is going to be pay to play?

Are assassins going to be in it?

Looking forward to this...

2. mibir

mibir IncGamers Member

Re: Pay to play? Assassins?

There are currently no definitive answers for either of these questions.

3. Nostavar

Nostavar IncGamers Member

Pay to play is very unlikely though, for a non-MMO on battle.net.

4. weenis

weenis IncGamers Member

Well, i'm pulling for no and yes.

If it's pay to play... then screw that.

If there's no assassins... then it's a tough call.

5. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

lol if someone does not get d3 just cause a class from d2 is not in 3 then they were never a real fan anyway. i mean seriously i kinda wish all the classes would be replaced even if the replacements are very much alike the old characters

6. Booner

Booner IncGamers Member

WoW has totally brainwashed everyone into thinking that games with online will be pay to play...

7. Apocalypse

i said it with d2 and i will say it with d3, i wont mind a pay to play online service at all. the game is still playable single player and players would still be able to get onto open bnet for free, so if they charge for closed and have added content on the pay servers i am all for it. hell it might even keep a few idiots off the servers though i doubt it.

8. Dimmu

Dimmu IncGamers Member

I'd actually much rather it be ptp, WoW gets new updates like monthly because of it.
    Besides, what's a measly $10-$20 per month? Most working people make that in an hour and little kid's parents probably wouldn't mind paying it.
    And like that guy said I'd much prefer all the classes to be brand new.

9. yukisho

yukisho IncGamers Member

I would much rather have it pay to play. Although I don't want to pay for a game, but I will if that means less hackers and less bots. Even if it only lasts for a little bit. I support pay to play, but at the same time, there has to be content patches or something that gives us a new experience to the game on either a monthly basis or by three months at a time.

10. Apocalypse

the bottom line is, if bliz is making monthly cash from people who already paid for the game, they are gonna put more into the game to keep those paying customers happy.

11. Sequitur

Sequitur IncGamers Member

Yeah, I'd pay if it meant better security. That said, if this B.net 2.0 is supposed to be the answer to sliced bread that Blizz claims, it might have all improvements with no cost. Or they might charge us two oxen and a donkey per month for upkeep.

Who can say?

12. yukisho

yukisho IncGamers Member

Peanut butter?

13. Sequitur

Sequitur IncGamers Member

For the sliced bread? Sounds like a plan! :smug:

14. weenis

weenis IncGamers Member

Yeah, you're right. You probably know better than me anyway.

15. Jaquiezz

Jaquiezz IncGamers Member

This is some one who doesn't work for his or her money. If you did, you would know that 10-20$ a month is complete BS. Plenty of other games get monthly or regular updates without PtP, as did D2 when it was first released.

For all the kiddies out there who just grab mommy and daddy's credit card and waste away half their adolescence on a game, sure, dropping $15 a month is not a problem. But as a college student in a state where it is next to impossible to find work, let alone good pay, paying a couple hundred dollars a year to play a game I might play at most 4-5 hours a week is steep, especially when it will cost 60 to purchase. Making 10 bucks an hour, to clear 15 after taxes you have to make about 21/22. Thats over two hours of work, just to continue playing the game. I would much rather put that money in my pocket and maybe go out to dinner, or better yet, buy a game that doesn't cost me money to keep playing.

16. yukisho

yukisho IncGamers Member

It's called a paid internship. Yes, they do exist. I doubt there is no job in you town that you can do and go to school. I am sorry if your too proud to work at mc donalds. I am a working man. I work hard for my money. Yet I am able to pay for my car payment, house bills, WoW, credit card, and have money to have fun with. I don't make alot of money. I just understand how to manage it. Maybe you should change your major.

And if you just can't take into grasp of what I am saying, then don't buy the game. I know this may sound harsh, but it's the truth. Most people won't speak it. I am not most people.

17. 5zigen

5zigen IncGamers Member

I'd rather it be PtP. Regardless of whether you think 10$ a month is "complete BS" or not, it's worth 10$ to me if I can get a game that gets content updates (and no, D2 never got constant updates, it got bug fixes, it got 2 content updates, several years later.)

See the thing is, if you look at it like "does it cost blizzard 10$ to deliver this?" of course it's not worth $10. But if you look at it like "does anyone offer a better service for less than 10$" then it becomes much more of a value judgment.

But as for me, it's well worth $10 a month to have an enhanced experience with enhanced content. I'd welcome any other business plan, and I would also like to see content packs for the game released frequently, though I'm skeptical whether this could be done well or not.

P.S. I doubt the Assassin will be in the game. For two simple reasons. 1) there is only 5 chars slated for D3 and is generally not considered a "core class" (I expect a bow user, and a spell caster to round out the first four) and out of the 3 'hybrid' classes in D2, I would guess either they do something new or something closer to the paladin. Also, the Asn was the 6/7th character in d2. and 2) the witch doctor has the assassin's first trap skill already.

18. weenis

weenis IncGamers Member

Yeah, i think you're right on no assassin.

I thought about it yesterday, this is how i think it will go.

Barb
    Witch
    Sorc
    Zon
    Pali

I really don't think it can go any other way, unless they start combining classes, and that would just be weird.

19. Eiolon

Eiolon IncGamers Member

Pay to play at $5 a month would be nice. I am not concerned about content patches but rather security patches for secure servers. If people want free online play, give them open servers.

20. yukisho

yukisho IncGamers Member

$5 is nothing. $5 is more like a donation if anything. $10 is the base rate for pay to play games all over the net.