Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Patriarch Wolfredd, Earth Shifter Druid

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by dryzalizer, May 28, 2008.

1. dryzalizer

dryzalizer IncGamers Member

Patriarch Wolfredd, Earth Shifter Druid

This build follows quite closely the amazing guide by Liquid Evil :cool:here.

Many thanks to Atil for giving me the unique thunder maul Earth Shifter, without which this build is impossible. :jig:

Code:
    Earth Shifter
    Thunder Maul
    'Shael'
    Two-Hand Damage: 119 to 649
    Durability: 60 of 60
    Required Strength: 253
    Required Level: 69
    Mace Class - Fast Attack Speed
    Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
    Item Level: **
    Fingerprint: 0x996a49f2
    +261% Enhanced Damage
    30% Increased Attack Speed
    10% Faster Cast Rate
    150% Damage to Undead
    33% Chance of Crushing Blow
    +7 to Elemental Skills (Druid Only)
    25% Chance to cast Level 14 Fissure on striking
    Level 14 Volcano (30/30 Charges)
    Socketed (1: 1 used) 
    PvM, I finished at lvl 85
    /players 8 through the end of act 1 Hell, /players 3 the rest of the way. Full clears, a few deaths, more nde's than I can remember individually (I'm not that careful, and this build is fun but not the safest).

Stats
    Str: 176 (253)
    Dex: 20 (47)
    Vit: 310 (335, 2290 after WW shift)
    Nrg: 20 (45, 278)
    Res: 75/75/85/75
    Def: 1586, w/no blocking
    AR: 10843 w/enchant and HoW, ~90% for most monsters at the end of hell

Skills
    Firestorm: 20(35) - 'geddon synergy
    Molten B: 4(19) - additional levels here for more 'geddon synergy
    Fissure: 1(16), w/Earth Shifter proc ~800 fire dmg/sec
    Volcano: 20(35) - synergy
    Armageddon: 20(35), 6477-7322 fire dmg
    Fury: 20(34), 1708-9068 dmg w/HoW and might aura
    1pt each in WW(15), Lyc(15), Rabies(15), Oak(9), HoW(9), and elemental prereqs(16) for 'geddon

Equipment
    Jalal's - Socketed w/+8min+8max jewel (yes, 40%ED would have given slightly higher avg dmg)
    CoH Archon Plate (could have gone w/higher defense armor, but Ber's don't grow on trees!) - great resists and +2 skills
    Drac's - LL and LT, for safety
    TGod's - I could have gone w/arachs, but had enough skillers and I like the light resist/absorb
    Gore Rider - best for CB boost and other melee goodies
    Mara's, I like resists and skills
    Raven Frost - CBF, AR
    BKWB - More skills, LL
    5x Spiritual skillers, the rest steel of vita/sus and a couple res. all sc
    Switch: Demon Limb (enchant) and Spirit (+2 skills)

Merc
    Might Aura, Reaper's Toll, Eth Duriel's, Vamp Gaze

Drops
    Hell HF: Ist
    Headstriker, Crescent Moon, Hellslayer, rare dual leech ring, Tal's Amulet from big D, another Ist in Ancient's Way. Not bad for only 25% MF.

So you start out playing like a typical fury druid, although with minimal investment in WW and Lyc. It isn't a problem, you can be a caster at the beginning but I was able to melee successfully w/1 pt in Feral Rage. When you get Fury, its smooth sailing. You also start casting armageddon around the same time, so you get lots of practice keeping the fire falling from the sky as you and your merc fight. You'll be doing this for the rest of the game. And once you can equip ribcracker, your only concern will be OK's/IM. Unfortunately:wink:, I upped and shaeled the ribby and it made the Earth Shifter 7 fpa seem slow. However, with the fissures opening the grates of hell on enemies from below and fire raining down from above, he looks like a DOOMSDAY DRUID! You pretty much dive into packs of monsters thoughout the whole game, and your LL+LifeTap+MercDecrep keep you alive even without a shield. Your HoW or Oak (I preferred the former because it dies less and helps w/dmg and AR at the end of the game) will dive in with you and die often, I usually wait until I have finished off the moster pack to recast it though. Cursed uniques in hell are what to watch out for as w/most melee characters, esp. ranged ones w/your zero blocking. Things can get scary real quick if your Life Tap takes a while to go off. One tactic is to cast 'geddon and run around them or get them to chase you. Armageddon hits randomly, but rains down over your path of retreat with pretty good coverage. This also works really well against physical immunes like ghosts and even the exploding dolls. Of course, your merc has Reaper's to break PIs so you can take them down alongside him. I did full clears, no PIs were unbreakable for him.

Random notes:
    -Got IM'd a couple times, and when my life dropped to near nothing, the game auto-shifted me back to human form so I couldn't continue to Fury and damage myself. Built-in safety from IM deaths!?
    -Armageddon just gets more and more powerful throughout the game, all the way to the end (unlike your fury attack, pretty much max when you equip Earth Shifter). I'm pretty sure 'geddon nailed Izual a bunch of times, he went down in record time.
    -Typical prebuff: Cast cyclone armor w/Earth Shifter, switch to Spirit and Demon Limb for HoW and Enchant, shift to WW and switch back to ES. Enchant lasts for almost two WW shifts, so you can rebuff between battles once you get used to the timing.
    -I used Oak Sage in Normal and Nightmare since I had no AR problems and had to pump strength a lot early. It dies too fast in hell though, and then your 3K or more life drops drastically.
    -WSK lvl 3 was full of OKs, but I think my merc only died once and I survived throughout.
    -Full rejuvs in first 3 rows of belt, super manas in last row for mana burners.
    -CtA on switch is out because you can't cast BO while in werewolf form. BO duration is so much shorter than WW that this would be horribly inconvenient to recast. Plus it is dangerous like Oak Sage when it runs out in the middle of battle and your big life cushion disappears.

I'm sure there is more, but this is my first Pat writeup and I'm tired - please forgive my lack of eloquence:tongue:

2. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

Re: Patriarch Wolfredd, Earth Shifter Druid

Who needs eloquence when you have a character who oozes style out of every pore? Good to see style points still count for something. :thumbsup:

3. TedDeeBoy

TedDeeBoy IncGamers Member

Congrats awesome setup I do not know much bout Druids Dudes but certainly got some some gear in there

4. Cius

Cius IncGamers Member

Awesome build. I want one!

5. Liquid_Evil

Liquid_Evil IncGamers Member

Masterfully done hero!

He turned out quite well by the looks of things. I like all your gear choices and the "random notes" section of this write-up will undoubtedly shed some insight on this build to anyone on the fence about making one. Again, congrats!

6. Atil

Atil IncGamers Member

Congratulations. I'm very happy to see you made Patriarch with this character. You obviously spent a lot of time researching it and your write up does you credit. (The thanks for the item should go to Baal's minions for coughing it up :laugh:)

7. Dodgydave

Dodgydave IncGamers Member

Very nice Pat indeed.

I've always looked at Earth shifter as the poor cousin to Cranium Basher (one of my favourite weapons!).

Might have to dust of my Earth Shifter and give this character a go.

Congrats.

8. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

Congrats!

Very nice gear and finds... Isn't it annoying having to recast Armageddon every 10 seconds though? =X.

9. dryzalizer

dryzalizer IncGamers Member

Thank for the kind comments everyone, glad to have inspired a few to try this build.

@Nagisa, I started casting Armageddon immediately at lvl 30, so the timing recast became second nature to me eventually. Even in hell I usually would spot a monster pack, cast 'geddon, dive into battle, and finish them off before 'geddon duration ended. The recast is slow, but helpful againt tougher enemies. You can always put extra points in fissure for longer 'geddon duration (+2 secs/point), but that means less synergy points in something like MB.