Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Patriarch Whompy, Cheesydin

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by lachen, Aug 28, 2006.

1. lachen

lachen IncGamers Member

Patriarch Whompy, Cheesydin

Well, I finished him a week ago or so, and I'm considering trying to push him to 99 over the next 15 years, so I figured 'Pat thread, and I can ask a question or two'.

Class- Paladin
    Name - Whompy
    Level - 81

Link to LCS - LCS

Weapon: Wizardspike
    Shield: Herald of Zakarum (PDiamond, 'borrowed' from my Zealot)
    Helm: Harlequin Crest (PTopaz)
    Armor: Guardian Angel (figured I wouldn't let the huge resists go to waste)
    Gloves: Magefist
    Belt: Arachnid Mesh
    Boots: War Traveler (41%)
    Ring1: The Stone of Jordan
    Ring2: Ravenfrost
    Amulet: Mara's Kaleidoscope (+30)

The Mara's was added after Patriarchdome, as I just barely found it a few days ago. I have no Lionbranded charms.

Questions:

1- I imagine I'm trying to squeeze in as many +skills as I can, eh? So my optimal gear, not counting switch (CtA I'm guessing?), would be HotO over Wizardspike, 2x Stone of Jordan, and a bunch of skillers? (Hey, I can dream, can't I? :p)

2- Skin of the Vipermagi or Guardian Angel? As far as I can tell, the advantages of each are:

Skin - FCR (whichs mean I can wear different gloves and still hit the 75% breakpoint), +1 skill
    GA - +1 skill, higher defense, +15 max resists. Which would you, yes you, use?

3- I have a 10% FCR rare ring with +74 to mana, seeing as I don't have 2 SoJ's at my disposal, would it be worth using in place of the Ravenfrost? (would allow me to ditch Magefist for, I don't know.. Chance Guards or something)

on another note, I just realized after checking an old email address that I already had a registered account that I created back in '04, I think I'm losing my mind. :scratch: /end fun fact of the day

2. zarfen

zarfen IncGamers Member

gratz, but what build is a cheesydin? :p sounds cool, me want one! :D
    tell us more on skills/your adventures etc. ;)

oh, and I would choose guardina angel if you can fill the resists up to their new limit :)
    but ofc it all depends, if you will be alot faster casting whatever you are casting you might consider viper, but since elemental damage hurts a big in hell I would still go giardian angel ;) that my friend, is my 2 kronor

3. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

+Skills are not that important (just get a reasonable amount)

Most stuff will die fast allready to a 6k+ Hammer. You want to be able to kill Baal at P8 fast.

1pt Smite + 1pt fana + lot's of CB is the answer.

Crushing Blow is the fastest way to lower Baal, smite delivers this relative fast without the need of AR and it's unblockable (perfect for a hammerdin).
    For example a "black" on the weapon switch allready gives you 40% CB. At least 1 point in fana will increase you speed a lot (specially with all the +skill gear a hammerdin is usually stocked with). Try to craft a pair of gloves with 10% CB and 20% IAS for faster smite and more CB.

For Baal (bosses in general) start with smiting. Only when Baal is around 5%-10% of his health, switch to hammers for the finishing touch.

As for the CBF question:
    You only really need "Cannot be frozen" when you are smiting, hammer speed is unaffected. A solution could be using a rhyme for smiting, which gives "CBF". As long as you smite you have CBF, as long as you hammer it doesn't matter.

4. jantia

jantia Banned

I would go with:

Magefist
    Arachnid's Mesh
    Vipermagi
    Hoto
    10FCR ring

Hits: 125 FCR, max res (with maras/hoz) plenty of nice skills. CBF is a must for a MF hammerdin as foot speed is everything.

For MF put on a wizzy and put on skullders, arachnid's and 1 FCR ring. Frees up chancies for MF while maintaining max res. Combined with wartravs + gheeds, it can hit 300 + MF

5. lachen

lachen IncGamers Member

I can't believe I forgot the skills, and to say anything more than 'Cheesydin'. He's just a regular old Hammerdin. Everytime I think I've got everything covered in the writeup, I go and forget the most important things. (I guess I really am losing my mind :cloud9: )

20 Vigor
    20 Blessed Aim
    20 Concentration
    20 Blessed Hammer
    3 Holy Shield
    1 Redemption
    1 Prerequisites

His (fairly short) journey to Patriarchdome was rather uneventful, I think he only died once in the Frozen River in Hell (biiiiig group of Conviction Gloams) and it could've been avoided if I'd just play a little safer. His Hellforge runes were pretty bad (Lum Nightmare, Hel Hell), and his fight with Hell Ancients was rather anti-climactic, with his hammers of doom plowing through Madawc like.. a plowing object, they were defeated in record time.

The Maggot Lair was the worst place ever, I got so annoyed with trying to hit the little buggers with BH that I just switched to Smite and tried to Crushing Blow them all to death. Baal and his little henchmen were defeated with ease, with only Lister's baddies causing a bit of a problem with the knockback. (Baal was smitten)

@Randall - Thanks for the tips, next skillpoint goes to Fanat, and CBF will stay in somehow.

@Jantia - 30FCR Skin, 40FCR HotO, 20FCR Magefist, 20FCR Arachnid, 10FCR Ring = 120FCR? Unless I don't understand FCR, which is a big possibility. (I'm used to whacking things..) Thanks for the MF gear suggestions, I wasn't sure how I'd put on a decent amount while maintaining the ability to not croak. :)

6. jantia

jantia Banned

Stupid me. I was thinking of my mage, who uses Griffons instead of magefist for that last 5%. Just go with 50 FCR wizzy over the HoTo to hit 125. My bad on that

7. Samsung

Samsung Banned

Hey man congratulations!
    I've had a few patriarchs in the past, but the real fun is Guardianship ^.^
    Anyways, congrat's and what's your next project going to be?

8. lachen

lachen IncGamers Member

I really wish I had the playing skills to whip up an untwinked Guardian, but that is something that probably won't happen in the near future. :(

Next project.. probably doing billions of LK runs, I've become quite addicted to them, and I'm looking for a few charms and jewels, and if a good rune drops while I'm there, then who am I to complain?