Patriarch Varnae

Stony

Diabloii.Net Member
Patriarch Varnae

Dear diary,

Our ascent of the slopes continues. My man Khaleel began the morning by dying very suddenly, soon after we set out, presciently announcing that this day was to be similar to those that came before: a tedious morass of minor inconveniences, punctuated by monetary losses. Minor inconveniences? I died 5 times up there. *****.
Fortunately, gold is as plentiful as our foes. Our enemy's strategy is simple and brutal: attrition, through the application of massive numbers of expendable troops. The best comparison would be to the sand under a grinding wheel. Fortunately, my kind are made of sterner stuff than most, and Baal's efforts have only served to polish my skill and my resolve. Unless it's immune to poison. Then he runs screaming like a girl. *****.

My own ways of war are, of course, more varied than either the enemy's or that of any mere soldier they may have encountered. When it suits, I will stride as purposefully into danger's maw as any of the stout footmen the highlands have produced in such abundance, my dagger making a sterner argument than any mere axe or bludgeon could. Unless it's immune to poison. THEN HE RUNS SCREAMING LIKE A GIRL.
At other times, a less direct approach is required, which I alone am able to undertake. The smaller demons, quick as swarming flies, call for fumigation rather than confrontation. A quick summoning of poisonous vapoursHeh heh heh Fartomancer ha ha soon clears them from my path. Sadly, many of Destruction's agents are highly resistant to toxins. Even my extensive knowledge of curses and hexes will fail, on occasion, and my sorcerous companion's more brutish skills must come to the fore. Prisons of bone keep the enemy in place, of course; dear Khaleel's aim is not the best.

OK, *****, it's on now. First, me dying because you ran screaming like a girl AGAIN is not a "minor inconvenience" or a "monetary loss". Second, quit catching me in those stupid prisons of yours. You lock me in there with the monster, I die, you start *****ing again. Third, LEARN ANOTHER SPELL. Or learn that resistance lowering one better, you still keep mispronouncing it sometimes. We barely made it through Hell, Baal isn't gonna let us fart him to death. *****.

Once again, it seems my hireling has chosen to try my already-thin patience with critical marginalia in my private journal. Though I am sure he sees it differently, his many deaths really are little more than a slight monetary loss for me. Granted, I could be a bit quicker teleporting him away from a danger he ought to know better than to face. I should not need to. I am a warrior, not a baby-minder, as he should well appreciate. As for any deficiencies in the breadth of my knowledge, no mere Vizjeri has any right to offer up criticisms on that score. When I see him cast a lightning bolt, I will bow to his greater aptitude.

Yeah, I'm a cold guy. The Iron Wolves have a system. I freeze 'em, they blast 'em, bad guys stop being a problem. It's called teamwork. Teamwork means not locking me in a bone cage with a damn Frenzytaur. AGAIN. *****.

The prophecy has been fulfilled... a tedious morass of minor annoyances. In the time to come, I am sure my biographer will wisely remove these dreary exchanges from the official history, they serve no greater purpose. Our ascent of Mount Arreat continues unabated, though legions block the way. My eventual triumph will be well earned.

Mini-capsule review: Infernal Tools
Three items out of legend, forming a set rumoured to be of demoniacal origin. Finding a use for them is a hellish enough task, certainly. In its entirety, the set provides +2 to a Necromancer's skills, a bit of poison, and a few other bonuses, but nothing worth considering. A summoner might make use of this set, when he is very young (level 5) and can do no better. Even so, the headgear is a crime against good taste, and it would be best not to be seen in public with it.

Mini-capsule review: Isenhart's Armory
Was Isenhart one man, or a nation, her soldiers all thusly equipped? If so, it is with good cause that the nation of Isenhart has faded so completely from memory. Ah, I exaggerate; those of warlike mien will find these items perfectly useable at level 8. The blade is notably reliable, and quick enough for most. On the whole, this set will provide for most of a warrior's basic needs. Only those wishing to eschew a shield, or possessing any sense of aesthetics, have reason to frown upon it.

Patriarch Varnae, level 87 Necromancer
STR 95 (128)
DEX 218 (233)
VIT 187
ENG 25

Poison Dagger 20 (33)
Poison Explosion 20 (32)
Poison Nova 20 (33)
Bone Armor 1(9)
Bone Prison 20 (28)
Bone Wall 3, for synergies
1 in all curses. No summoning.

Life: 752
Mana: 260
AR: 9601
DR: 1468
Poison Dagger damage: 29k - 30k
Poison Nova damage: 7175-7481
Resists: 75/80/75/75

Equipment:
Weapon of choice: Blackbog's Sharp, with a +5%/-4% poison Rainbow Facet
Weapon of second choice: Fleshripper. A good physical damage blade.
Head: Rare circlet with life, resistances, Damage reduced by 2
Body: "Bramble" Archon Plate. +5% max Cold resistance, +48% poison damage. Nice.
Shield: Trang-Oul's Wing, with p. diamond. +2 to Poison/Bone, -25% poison resistance.
Belt: Trang-Oul's Girth. Resistances, Cannot Be Frozen, and set bonuses.
Hands: Trang-Oul's Claws. +25% poison damage, faster cast, set bonuses.
Feet: Rare boots with resistances, Faster Run/Walk, and a bit of magic find.
Neck: Rare amulet with resistances, charges of Teleport. Proved very handy for getting the merc out of my bone prisons or other difficulties.
Fingers: Two rare rings with resistances, stats, other random stuff.
Charms: skillers, life/mana, some lightning damage

Mercenary: Khaleel, level 87 cold Iron Wolf
Weapon: Culwen's Point.
Head: Crown with 3 perfect rubies.
Body: Skin of the Vipermagi
Shield: Sigon's Guard

Strategy:
Upon entering a new area, my first task was to corral my dear Khaleel, who would often become excited and dash right up to any monster close at hand. The curses of Confusion or Attraction proved an excellent first step many times; the power to cloud the enemies' minds is a valuable one, particularly the often-lethal archers and spear-throwers who populated the slopes of Mount Arreat. Once the enemy is suitably distracted, imprisoned, or confused, employ Lower Resistance and start to work. The dagger is the best choice for slow or dull-witted opponents, as one thrust is often sufficient to end their wasted lives. Slow enemies with unbeatable poison immunity could be dispatched - slowly - with Fleshripper.

The quicker sorts Baal held close to himself were best blasted away with poisonous vapour, as proved true of Baal himself. On our first encounter, Destruction apparently became confused after sending forth but one wave of minions to oppose me. Nothing could pull a response from him, save laughter and the occasional Decrepification hex. Even a hand waved directly before his face brought no further action. Eventually, we gave up and went home. Baal had recovered by the next day, and met his death with the lack of dignity that he is so well known for.

In conclusion, it is a wise student who studies the abstruse ways of poison. Diversity of skill is strongly recommended, however, as poison immunity is frightfully common and often unbreakable. Also, choose your mercenary wisely. Immunity to Poison and Cold seems to be the most common dual immunity. Should you wish to make use of Corpse Explosion, you have further reason to avoid the cold Iron Wolf, or even opt for the more conventional Desert Eagle. Finally, for the sake of posterity, find a journal equipped with a lock. Future generations will be forever grateful.

Screw the Eagles, Iron Wolves are the way to go! Keep a curse ***** around, but don't let him dress you up or anything. Stand in the front and keep casting, no matter what. He's gotta learn that he's the support guy. Now, I'm gonna go get drunk and play video games. Team Fortress 2 rocks!

LozHinge the Unhinged

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Patriarch Varnae

I loved this post! Brilliant. I was thoroughly entertained :)

I'm glad I'm not the only poisoner who was mad enough to opt for a Cold Wolf companion. Mobility and mercs who (should) know how to stay out of harm's way FTW.

My poisoner went full T/O (I have no access to Bramble), full block at run speeds was delicious. BB's Sharp with Gravenspine on switch, for pluses to Curses. I didn't have a Fleshripper back then, else I may have considered it. Poison immunes, if they couldn't be broken, received Meteors and Firewalls, and Bone Walls to keep 'em busy. I had a theme thing going, so Corpse Explosion was never used.

Thanks for posting this :thumbup:

SnickerSnack

Diabloii.Net Member

Mini-capsule review: Isenhart's Armory
Was Isenhart one man, or a nation, her soldiers all thusly equipped? If so, it is with good cause that the nation of Isenhart has faded so completely from memory. Ah, I exaggerate; those of warlike mien will find these items perfectly useable at level 8. The blade is notably reliable, and quick enough for most. On the whole, this set will provide for most of a warrior's basic needs. Only those wishing to eschew a shield, or possessing any sense of aesthetics, have reason to frown upon it.
I haven't read the whole post, but I just wanted to say that Isenhart's set looks pretty nice on an assassin. Just sayin.

Edit:

Now that I've read the whole thing: Very nicely written. I was entertained.

Last edited:

Ragnarod

DiabloII.Net Pal

Stony! I still remember your original tales for each class, they were brilliant and you clearly haven't lost your touch. Great post, congrats on your patriarch :)

Thomh

Diabloii.Net Member

Congratulations on your patriarch, that was a really cool build.

Your write-up was just fantastic, I enjoyed reading that story.

friedbananazzzz

Diabloii.Net Member

Great write up, good job. Took me a few paragraphs to figure out it was the Merc talking though :S

Raskah

Diabloii.Net Member

Congratz. I enjoyed the write-up! Can't wait for the next one... :wink: