Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Patriarch Tyto_Alba (Doom/Phoenix fury wolf)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by bcoe, Mar 20, 2010.

1. bcoe

bcoe IncGamers Member

Patriarch Tyto_Alba (Doom/Phoenix fury wolf)

Patriarch Tyto_Alba

This is yet another ridiculous (but stylish, I hope) rune-fest thanks to 1.13b. Early on in 1.13b, I found a Cham and built a doom/2x dream pally. One of my favorite things about the doom was the CtC Volcano. What a neat animation, and it sure does spit out a ton of fireballs with unfortunately trivial damage. So I wondered, what about if we synergized that volcano? Well, I refreshed my memory on the under-utilized fire side of the elemental tree, and remembered that both Fissure and Molten Boulder synergize Volcano. Then I noticed that those two skills also synergize Firestorm. So I wondered, what has a CtC firestorm? Oh yeah, Phoenix. It’s a dumb, overpriced, never-been-made-on-SPF runeword. I had 1x Vex (from Trav) and 1 Lo (from Pindle, 1.13a). Better start crushing the cows…. I spent about 5 days running the cows like crazy. No Jah. I took a break and did some baal-running with my relatively new lite-sorc, and got a Jah within an hour or two. What a crazy game. I cubed up another Vex and made Phoenix. That would have been unthinkable a few months ago. Amazing.

The name is the latin for the Barn Owl. A fascinating bird, really, found nearly everywhere, but evolutionarily and biologically quite distinct from all the other owls. Beautiful.

STATS:
    Name: Tyto_Alba
    Level: 80
    Strength: 139 (166)
    Dexterity: 55 (79)
    Vitality: 276 (281)
    Energy: 20 (45)

Life: 2744
    Mana: 268

Skills (after + skills):
    Elemental tree:
    Firestorm: 1 (8)
    Molten Boulder: 20 (27)
    Fissure: 20 (27)

Summoning tree:
    Oak Sage: 1 (8)
    Heart of the Wolverine: 6 (13)

Shape Shifting tree:
    Werewolf: 1 (10)
    Lycanthropy: 20 (29)
    Feral Rage: 1 (10)
    Rabies: 1 (10)
    Fury: 20 (29)

LCS:
    LCS
    Fury damage: 3099-9942
    6 fpa
    AR: 6448
    5% CtC Lvl 18 Volcano (224-231 physical damage, 224-231 fire damage per ball)
    40% CtC Lvl 22 Firestorm (1266-1470 fire damage/second)
    35% Deadly Strike
    25% Crushing Blow
    16% Life Leach
    3% Mana Leach

Active Auras:
    Level 12 Holy Freeze (Doom)
    Level 13 Redemption (Phoenix)
    Level 12 Conviction (Infinity – Merc)
    Level 16 Might (Merc)
    Level 13 Heart of the Wolverine

How I got there:

I leveled him up to 67 as a standard fury wolf, with a standard ribby then an upped ribcracker. I experimented a bit and statted all the vines, and played with PC and Rabies a bit. Once I hit level 67 I respecced into my final gear/skills/stats.

On to equipment….

Equipment:
    Head: Jalal’s Mane (ummed)
    Amulet: Mara’s (+30 resists)
    Armor: Fortitude Archon Plate
    Weapon: Doom Berzerker axe (eth-bugged)
    Shield: Phoenix Monarch
    Switch: Lawbringer Crystal Sword/Stormshield
    Belt: String of Ears (8%LL, 15%DR)
    Gloves: Cruel Fist (awesome crafted gloves)
    Rings: Ravenfrost (18 dex/ 242 AR) and a BKWB (5%LL)
    Boots: Gore riders

Charms:
    Some Sharp GCs, some shimmering SCs.

Resists: 85/75/85/75

Merc: Might with Infinity ethereal thresher, Fortitude, Crown of thieves

Finds:
    Hellforge: Hel/Gul

Thoughts:

This guy is AWESOME. I love him dearly. He worked EXACTLY how I hoped he would. I knew that the CtC firestorm would interrupt his fury, but I hoped that the negative enemy fire resists (-85 from Infinity, - 28 from Phoenix) would make the damage relevant, and that the Holy Freeze and Freezes Target +3 mod on Doom would make those hiccups in his attack sequence safe and tolerable. Well, it worked perfectly. Even against PIs, the fire damage from firestorm and volcano killed them pretty darn quick. Against non-PIs, the massive damage from doom generally took care of them plenty fast. Against bosses or mobs, whenever Volcano triggered, it just melted them amazingly fast. I have no idea how many of those fireballs spew out, but it is a big number, and the cumulative damage is very impressive.

The safety of this character was really awesome. The HF and Freezes target from Doom work well to slow any advancing enemies to a crawl. The big LL and huge damage is nice, and the Redemption is great too. An added bonus is that reviving monsters are no longer an issue.

Gearwise, I’m pretty happy with what he’s got. I really struggled with what to do on the switch. I used CtA/Spirit for most of the game, but it really only added about 600 life, and he didn’t really need it. I switched to a lawbringer to have the option to spread some Decrepify in case I ever ran into FI/PIs, but never really needed it.

Regarding Phoenix, I’m really not sure what to think. I think that if the CtC firestorm was not synergized, the interrupted melee attack would be much more annoying. Also, if everything around him wasn’t frozen, it would have made him very vulnerable. I’m very glad I built it for him, but I’m not sure what I’ll do with it next.

Skillwise, the only debate was what to do after MB/Fissure/Lycan/Fury were all maxed. I ended up going with HoW for a bit of added damage, but it was pretty frail and the boost was small. In another 5-10 levels, it might get a bit tougher and be more useful. I debated working my way up to Armageddon. I think it would have worked OK. Maybe if I rebuild…

A nice CTC screenshot:

Two Volcanos

Next? I think I'm done with the HR craziness for a while. I'm excited for the ladder starting with the final 1.13 patch. I think a restart is just what the doctor ordered. I'll play these guys some on the side (still at grail -1), but playing some less powerful toons sounds like fun too...

Thanks to:
    Liquid Evil, whose Earthshifter Armageddon duid is kind of like this guy’s big brother.
    Vox_Dei, whose recent Wind Wolf is Tyto’s evil twin (or maybe its vice versa?)
    All of SPF for being so fun…

Thanks for reading.

2. Nepenthe

Nepenthe IncGamers Member

Re: Patriarch Tyto_Alba (Doom/Phoenix fury wolf)

Gongrats on the uber-geared, musterfully done pat (and on actually making me log in just to spam your thread). He certainly seems like a fun one too.
    Nooow, since you'll be mostly busy with the SPF ladder, would you mind lending me some jah-luck? :crazyeyes:

3. Bizurker

Bizurker IncGamers Member

Congrats on the Pat. Always amazing to see what builds SPF'ers come up with. I would think Pheonix would be a decent shield for casters for the redemption; like throw it on a Sorc's swap for in-between battles. I think Pheonix falls in the same utility category as Spirit; its good to use, but not for defense or blocking.

How about giving the rune luck to the new guy? ;)

4. Fyourics

Fyourics IncGamers Member

Nice Build. Congrats on the pat.
    Regarding phoenix, it would be great for a cowazon. I am not really sure but the redemption should take care of any mana problems. I think.

5. AJK

AJK IncGamers Member

What a beautiful build. I've always liked the Phoenix runeword, especially the +damage, like fortitude on steroids. I didn't think of synergized CtC's on a druid though, like you did.

It's interesting how this new patch made runewords attainable I never thought I'd see on the SPF.

6. poopie_pants

poopie_pants IncGamers Member

Amazing character, and a good read, congrats bcoe :thumbsup:. It's a great feeling when a toon turns out like you envision him/her, glad to hear that was the case for this bad boy. Reading about Pats like these keeping pushing me in the direction of moving to 1.13 in the near future...got to finish my sept project first though, and upgrade the equip for my WW baba (future trav runner) before making the switch.

Nice going, look forward to future characters who i'm sure will be equally impressive.

-PP

7. DeathMaster

DeathMaster IncGamers Member

Exactly what I wanted to say. This is very interesting and indeed impressive build.

I'd never expected to see some crazy runewords would be made here.

8. Ragnarod

Ragnarod DiabloII.Net Pal

You keep coming with interesting builds to use all those seldom seen runewords, well done bcoe :thumbup:

9. VoX Dei

VoX Dei IncGamers Member

Someone in the Amazon Forum raised this poll (Phoenix vs. SS) from the dead recently. That brought Phoenix mods (particularly the CtC Firestorm, -eFR, and huge ED) to my attention, and made me think about several builds including a synergized firestorm wolf along this lines (one can dream, right :rolleyes: ). However, I would never have thought about actually seeing one. Especially, with the CtC Volcano on Doom thrown into the mix. Very creative and fun twist. Plus, Volcano is like eye candy. Awesome looking spell. I also have to say, 4 active auras on a non-Paladin is truly impressive!

I'm very glad someone is using 1.13 rune wealth to build amazing characters such as this one. Congratulations on a job well done, bcoe :thumbup: Keep those out of the box builds coming!

PS: Tyto is definitely the evil twin.

10. bcoe

bcoe IncGamers Member

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

This is why I am so enthusiastic about the new rune drops. Its not because everyone can now have enigma and infinity. Its because now we can use some of the less obviously overpowered runewords in creative ways.

The great thing about D2 is its replayability. It can be played so many different ways, and there are so many different "builds" that all play differently. The new HRs really just expands our horizons a but more...

11. Liquid_Evil

Liquid_Evil IncGamers Member

Masterfully done hero! Very sweet build and neat use of the new runewords. You netted a surplus of badass points for innovation, originality, and druid use. Spend them wisely. ;)

12. nubikoen

nubikoen IncGamers Member

Congratulations bcoe. I must say, I've been mighty impressed by your last couple of characters. Very nice use of the new runedrops.
    I didn't think I'd ever see a Phoenix in the SPF.