Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Patriarch Reflector!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Vang, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Vang

Vang IncGamers Member

Patriarch Reflector!

Well, my first themed build since my hiatus. So here is the story.

I once wanted to make a returned damage character, decided a barbarian
    since the unique helm, Demonhorn's Edge, has 55-77. Best by far for a helm.

With that I'd use Spiked Thorn(1.25character/level) razortail(1ch/level) as well as Toothrow(20-40) and then socket everything with Amn runes(14 in shield/helm/armor)
    Sounded pretty good on paper, but wasn't quite fun at all.

So after the recent Thorns discussion, I concluded that a Druid using Toothrow, razortail and Spiked Thorn, as well as Spirit of the Barbs
    and a Thorns Merc would be grand. I stumpled upon a nifty item though
    upon some magic find runs. Hwanin's Refuge 10%ctc static when hit, and
    a bonus part of +100life. Well that'll certainly be better than Toothrow, so out went that.

Rest of gear was decided mainly on resist etc, using Jalal's mane for its great list of abilities and the two unique rings: Dwarf Star for life and Fire absorb, and Nature's Peace for two important mods of: Prevent Monster heal and Slain rest in peace(I don't deal near enough to be fighting of respawning!)

All of this relied on a weapon though. 2 Ctc Amplify damage weapons. One for me and one for Mercenary, to double any damage reflected. Jae traded me a very nice axe that was put to great use, and I found a superb Great poleaxe for my Mercenary.

Now unto the fun part. Act1 went very smooth, and I was a sure fire powerhouse, everything died mainly to my umm..firepower I should say.

Act2 was a different story. First Maggot Lair, wow. I hate this area more than ever now, it literally took over an hour and a half to get to the staff(reminder..Teleport charges!) Then Arcane Sanctuary took 3 paths and roughly 2hours to complete, although I can kill physical immunes, they aren't fun at all or easy. Duriel on the other hand died faster than I've ever witnessed, literally killed himself in about 10seconds.

Act3 went fine and smooth until in the Flayer Dungeon level 2 I got trapped(physical immune specters with a ton more hitpoints than the act2 counterparts) and I was growing tiresome, screw it I decided to only do the main parts..Tossed some waypoints and off I went, killed council with ease, then Mephisto.

Act4 River of Flame waypoint was gotten and had to go get my shiny rune! Boy did it take a while, about an hour and half to make my way down. Lum for all my troubles.

Chaos Sanctuary was actually not that bad, and took about 2hours to safetly navigate my way through(mind you zero deaths until act4, 3 in
    river of flame) Diablo was a cake walk as he targeted me and slowly died, dropping a nice Sparking mail!

Act5 I followed with: Ancient Waypont-Arreat Summit Tunnel. The two melee guys went down quite well, and I lost my mercenary before the battles really began, but the Throwing was lightning Immune and Stoneskin and with 1 reju left and him always targeting me I didn't want to wait and hour or two for my bear and poison creeper level 6 to kill him, brought in my sorceress to finish the job.

Onto the final part, Minions and Baal himself. Mummies and Skeletons were the only part that took a lot of time, mainly due to the fact I had zero cannot be frozen equipment on and attacked at nil when cursed and chilled. Baal took about 15 minutes give or take a couple but overall went down smooth.

Sidenote: Shockwave+Amplify Damage=can take down anything with enough patience and time. Once I got into the later acts of hell it seemed I did a lot more shockwaving to keep my group alive.

Fun parts: Watching enemies like Duriel whack themselves quite fast. Although it worked somewhat for the later acts, it also didn't at others. If their damage was to much from might+cursed+extra strong pack for instances, it was pure shockwave as my mercenary and wolves died in one hit. The Spirit of the barbs lasted quite well and a lot longer than a spirit normally last, don't know if he has some bonus resistance somewhere.

Overall: A fun experience and character to finally do, I admit I got irritated and skipped some parts, but played and accomplished what I saw as important task without to much hassle or time wasted(a lot different with a fulltime job and a son nowadays)

Stats and equipment:

Level 79

Skills:
    (+2summon/+4Shapeshifting + 3 all additional from switch)
    1 Carrion Vine
    20 Dire Wolves
    1 Grizzly Bear
    19 Spirit of The Barbs
    20 Lycanthropy
    9 Maul
    2 Shockwave
    5 Hunger

Stats:

Str:105/133
    Dex:20/35
    Vit:325
    Life Shifted: 3267
    Resist: 75/-7/75/70
    Attack Rating: 1700/3000(enchant from demonlimb)
    Damage: 400-800 w/ full Maul roughly

Gear:
    Jalal's Mane
    Rare 48%light resist amulet
    Rare ctc Amp Axe
    Hwanin's Refuge
    Spiked Thorn
    Laying of Hands
    Nature's Peace
    Dwarf Star
    Razortail
    Rare Boots

Switch:
    Islestrike
    Sigon's Shield

Mercenary:
    Tal Rasha's Mask
    Hwanin's Refuge
    Rare Ctc Amp Great poleaxe

Code:
    Rare Items:

Entropy Heart
    Amulet
    Required Level: 19
    Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
    Item Level: 55
    Fingerprint: 0x4337f181
    +8 to Strength
    +6 to Energy
    +13 to Maximum Stamina
    Damage Reduced by 1
    Fire Resist +9%
    Lightning Resist +48%
    Cold Resist +9%
    Poison Resist +9%

Dire Greaves
    Chain Boots
    Defense: 9
    Durability: 11 of 16
    Required Strength: 30
    Required Level: 18
    Item Level: 64
    Fingerprint: 0x8ad20aae
    +15 to Attack Rating
    Fire Resist +19%
    Lightning Resist +36%
    Poison Resist +25%
    69% Extra Gold from Monsters
    +1 to Light Radius
    20% Faster Run/Walk

Fiend Sever
    Naga
    'Shael'
    One-Hand Damage: 39 to 110
    Durability: 16 of 26
    Required Strength: 121
    Required Level: 48
    Axe Class - Fastest Attack Speed
    Item Level: 99
    Fingerprint: 0xe83f59da
    +146% Enhanced Damage
    +240 to Attack Rating
    4% Life stolen per hit
    Required Level +5
    60% Increased Attack Speed
    5% Chance to cast Level 1 Amplify Damage on striking
    Socketed (1: 1 used)

Storm Barb
    Great Poleaxe
    'Hel'
    Two-Hand Damage: 171 to 472
    Durability: 55 of 55
    Required Dexterity: 79
    Required Strength: 143
    Required Level: 63
    Polearm Class - Normal Attack Speed
    Item Level: 86
    Fingerprint: 0x141ab53e
    +272% Enhanced Damage
    +29 to Attack Rating
    Cold Resist +10%
    +1 cold damage over 2 seconds
    Requirements -20%
    5% Chance to cast Level 1 Amplify Damage on striking
    Repairs 1 durability in 33 seconds
    Socketed (1: 1 used)

2. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

Re: Patriarch Reflector!

Whoa, what an interesting build! I'll definately need to make one of these someday. I don't suppose bosses other than Duriel KO'd themselves?

... cheter. :tongue:

3. Jaedhann

Jaedhann IncGamers Member

Wowie, nice build there Vang. Now i know why you didn't like the lacerators. Good job man!

4. Xdeathfire

Xdeathfire IncGamers Member

Nice pat there, very interesting build.

Any ways, does thorns damage come in before damage reduction? If it does, then couldn't you theoretically socket a bunch of Sols in there and make yourself a tank that takes no damage, but hurts your every time you hit him

5. Vang

Vang IncGamers Member

I'm not sure really. It should, but I think it only triggers after the damage is taken from your life pool. Hopefully someone with better knowledge could answer the question.

6. Jaedhann

Jaedhann IncGamers Member

The reflected damage is calculated on the final damage done to you. So if you take 10 damage, and you have 500% damage reflection, the monster takes 50 damage if he has 0% physical damage reduction. If he has 50% damage reduction, he takes 25. So good call on the amping weapons. And you might want to get yourself hurt as much as possible to reflect the most damage you can.

7. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

Congrats! A very creative build, to say the least. What's this about using a sorceress though?! ;).

8. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Very nice! Great detailed write-up too.

Congratulations!

9. Stony

Stony IncGamers Member

Very nicely done; I would have thought this kind of character would not be possible, knowing how much life monsters get in late Hell difficulty. Congratulations, hero!

Stony