Patriarch Perceval, Lord of the Lance

Explopyro

Banned
Patriarch Perceval, Lord of the Lance

Thus ends my quest to bring a lance-wielding paladin through Hell. After reading SSoG's guide to Chargers, I was fascinated enough to decide that I had to make one... and I thought paladins looked awesome wielding lances, so my endgame weapon would have to be a Pike/Lance/War Pike (I realize belatedly that it may have been better to call him Launcelot, though... oh well).

Perceval's adventure was played entirely on /players 8 (I refuse to play otherwise), though I'm not ashamed to admit that I twinked him to the gills and I play softcore.

I settled on Spire of Honor for my endgame weapon, upped it, and it worked well... through NM and some of Act 1 Hell. Come Hell, my resists were too low to survive, so by the middle of Act 2 I gave in, ditched the upped Spire, and cubed two Guls in order to make Silence in a War Pike I'd had lying around, which was more than enough to get me through Hell. I lost quite a bit of damage and AR in the tradeoff (around 2k max damage and 1k AR according to the LCS), but I think it was worth it to get out of negative resists. I used Zeal with a Demon Limb on switch for physical immunes - slow, but it gets the job done.

I'll admit I had some help, as a pure charger isn't exactly the best character to get through Hell alone... I was playing rather steadily on TCP/IP with two friends, a pure Lightning sorceress and a pure Summoning necromancer (who enjoyed my Fanaticism and Salvation auras quite a bit). The worst part of the game, undoubtedly, was Hell Maggot Lair - we had three of the worst possible builds for that place, and eventually got help from another friend, who naturally decided to bring a hammerdin. Lovely. That's an experience I definitely do not want to repeat, though it was certainly memorable.

Patriarch Perceval, level 86 Paladin

Skills:
Combat: 1 Sacrifice, 1 Zeal, 1 Smite, 20 Charge
Defensive: 1 Prayer, 1 Cleansing, 1 Defiance, 20 Vigor, 9 Salvation
Offensive: 20 Might, 1 Blessed Aim, 1 Concentration, 20 Fanaticism

Stats:
Strength: 150 (195)
Dexterity: 120 (169)
Vitality: 230 (285)
Energy: 20 (30)
Life: 1274
Mana: 235

Charge Damage on LCS: 2233-12k
Resists: 73/66/85/35

Gear:
Helm: Rockstopper
Armor: "Lionheart" Superior Hellforge Plate
Weapon: "Silence" War Pike
Weapon (switch): Demon Limb
Shield (switch): 34 all resists Royal Shield with 3 perfect diamonds
Gloves: Soul Drainer
Belt: Thundergod's Vigor
Boots: Immortal King's Pillar
Amulet: Highlord's Wrath
Rings: Raven Frost, rare with 15 dex, 10% res all and 5% mana leech
In Inventory: 2x Lion Branded Grand Charm, a few life/AR charms

Mercenary (NM Holy Freeze):
Weapon: The Reaper's Toll
Armor: "Treachery" Dusk Shroud
Helm: Stealskull

This setup was definitely effective, though I'm not sure I'm happy with my decision to make him a pure charger. I think I'd much rather have gone with a hybrid charge/hammer build, to have a better PI solution and a way to avoid instant death while surrounded (which happened to me once or twice). Playing a charger was definitely different and fun, though, and I highly recommend it as something to try at least once. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with him now that he's completed, as the build doesn't really lend itself well to doing runs.

TheReadMenace

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: Patriarch Perceval, Lord of the Lance

Nice build! A Chargadin has been on my list of things to try for a while now, and it helps to know that a good secondary skill will be highly useful.

Don't know what to do with him? You can always convert him into a strong TC3 runner if you need them. Running Act1 SuperUniques (Bishiboshi, Rakanishu, Cold Crow, etc.) should be relatively quick using Charge/Vigor.

Good luck with your next go! :wave:

dryzalizer

Diabloii.Net Member

Congrats Explo, you have convinced me to try a charger someday. Sounds like a lot of fun! I agree that the Demon Limb on switch really doesn't cut it for PIs, but there are plenty of skill points left to make a hybrid.

Perceval's adventure was played entirely on /players 8 (I refuse to play otherwise), though I'm not ashamed to admit that I twinked him to the gills and I play softcore.
And that since this isn't one of the few totally overpowered builds in the game, you can not solo...:thumbup:

bladejj

Diabloii.Net Member

Congrats on the pat. My first character ever was some sort of a charger hybrid (a very poor one lol).

Do you my showing the stats on that weapon?

Explopyro

Banned

My endgame spear:
Code:
Silence
War Pike
'DolEldHelIstTirVex'
Two-Hand Damage: 99 to 534
Durability: 25 of 25
Required Dexterity: 85
Required Strength: 132
Required Level: 66
Spear Class - Normal Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 85
Fingerprint: 0xd6cca362
+200% Enhanced Damage
All Resistances +75
11% Mana stolen per hit
30% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Requirements -20%
20% Increased Attack Speed
20% Faster Hit Recovery
Hit Causes Monster to Flee 25%
Hit Blinds Target +33
75% Damage to Undead
+50 to Attack Rating against Undead
+2 to All Skill Levels
+2 to Mana After Each Kill
Socketed (6: 6 used)
And the weapon I really made the build for, but couldn't use (upped Spire of Honor with perfect ED):
Code:
Spire of Honor
War Pike
Two-Hand Damage: 119 to 574
Durability: 25 of 25
Required Dexterity: 106
Required Strength: 165
Required Level: 73
Spear Class - Slow Attack Speed
Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
Item Level: 75
Fingerprint: 0x6715e295
+25% Enhanced Defense
+200% Enhanced Damage
+20 to Minimum Damage
+40 to Maximum Damage
Replenish Life +20
+3 to Light Radius
Required Level +7
20% Faster Hit Recovery
25% Bonus to Attack Rating
+3 to Combat Skills (Paladin Only)
1% Damage to Demons (Based on Character Level)

Crazy Runner Guy

Diabloii.Net Member

Slick poles, and that's the first "Silence" runeword I've seen since v1.09 (when there were bugged eth Bows and Colossus Blades socketed witht them). Interesting.