Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Patriarch Mbwun - Fury/Rabies Wolf

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Swiller, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Swiller

Swiller IncGamers Member

Patriarch Mbwun - Fury/Rabies Wolf

Alhizeer sized up his companion, the enigmatic man from Scosglen who had hired him in Lut Gholein.

They were resting in the desert wastes amongst the ruined statues of civilizations past, eying a horde of malevolent beasts who now formed on the horizon, preparing to attack. Alhizeer briefly considered giving up ale; as he had clearly imbibed too much when he agreed to accompany this "druid". The scrawny man had no discernible combat abilities and would only get him killed. The mercenary's eyes moved from the approaching monsters and onto his companion. "Listen here, you little runt. Are you going to do any of the fighting, or hide like a coward?"

The druid gave him a cold stare. "You're making me angry," he replied.

Alhizeer ignored him and continued his insults. "And what's with the staff, anyway? You realize you aren't Gandalf, right?"

The druid bared his teeth this time, becoming increasing upset. Was it Alhizeer's imagination, or were those teeth growing longer, and sharper?
    Unable to contain his rage, the druid now stood at his full height, brandishing his staff.

"You're making me angry! YOU WON'T LIKE IT WHEN I'M ANGRY!!

Greetings and salutations, SPF! I actually finished this character back in January 2009, but then took a year-long hiatus from the game (and pretty much the forums, as well.) All I can say is that it's great to be back! But lets get on with the character, already.

STATS

That's 8.2k Fury damage you see, somewhat in part because of all the points I poured into Strength. Mbwun is a little fragile as a result, especially because I opted for HoW instead of Oak Sage. I may respec later and think about changing things.

SKILLS

Werewolf: 1 (9)
    Lycanthropy: 20 (28)
    Feral Rage: 1 (9)
    Rabies: 20 (28) (35 with switch)
    Fury: 20 (28)

Raven: 1 (3)
    Poison Creeper: 16 (18)
    Oak Sage: 1 (3)
    Hear of the Wolverine: 16 (18)

Yup, I'm working on maxing out my spirit and Poison creeper.

GEAR

Code:
    [LIST]
    [*]Jalal's Mane - Um
    [*]Metalgrid
    [*]"Fortitude" 
    [INDENT]Fortitude
    Archon Plate
    'ElSolDolLo'
    Defense: 1560
    Durability: 36 of 60
    Required Strength: 103
    Required Level: 63
    Item Version: Expansion
    Item Level: 87
    Fingerprint: 0x7cdca36f
    +200% Enhanced Defense
    +300% Enhanced Damage
    +15 Defense
    Damage Reduced by 7
    Fire Resist +30%
    Lightning Resist +30%
    +5% to Maximum Lightning Resist
    Cold Resist +30%
    Poison Resist +30%
    Replenish Life +7
    +1 to Light Radius
    25% Faster Cast Rate
    12% Damage Taken Goes to Mana
    20% Chance to cast Level 15 Chilling Armor when struck
    +85 to Life (Based on Character Level)
    Socketed (4: 4 used)[/INDENT]
    [*]Ribcracker - Shael
    [INDENT]Mbwun's Ribcracker
    Stalagmite
    'Shael'
    Two-Hand Damage: 324 to 485
    Durability: 29 of 130
    Required Dexterity: 35
    Required Strength: 63
    Required Level: 56
    Staff Class - Fastest Attack Speed
    Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
    Item Level: 49
    Fingerprint: 0x2f350bc7
    +15 to Dexterity
    +100% Enhanced Defense
    +293% Enhanced Damage
    +30 to Minimum Damage
    +65 to Maximum Damage
    +100 Defense
    +100 Maximum Durability
    Required Level +7
    70% Increased Attack Speed
    50% Faster Hit Recovery
    150% Damage to Undead
    50% Chance of Crushing Blow
    Socketed (1: 1 used)[/INDENT]
    [*]Nosferatu's Coil
    [*]Laying of Hands
    [*]Gore Rider
    [*]Ravenfrost
    [*]Beast Hold
    [INDENT]Ring
    Required Level: 47
    Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
    Item Level: **
    Fingerprint: 0x890dbf72
    +15 to Strength
    +9 to Mana
    +108 to Attack Rating
    3% Life stolen per hit
    5% Mana stolen per hit[/INDENT]
    [/LIST]

MERCENARY

Alhizeer, the Act II Might hireling

Vampire Gaze
    The Reaper's Toll
    Duriel's Shell

THOUGHTS?

My basic play-style was like this: I had Feral Rage as my main attack, and would use it every few seconds simply to keep it fully-charged. My secondary skill was primarily Fury, but I switched to a Plague Bearer and "Spirit" Monarch when I used Rabies.

I don't know why everybody is always hating on Rabies. I found it absolutely invaluable. Not only did it provide a safe way to wear down a pack's health, but I was also able to clear half a screen's worth of monsters within seconds. The Far Oasis was especially epic. An absolute TON of the physical immune locusts would spawn. I would switch to Rabies, infect one of them, then retreat away. Take a sip of my beer, then return. YAY! No more locusts.

I'm not disagreeing that it's better for PvP, nor am I saying that I couldn't have beaten Hell without it. I just think it performs a lot better than people give it credit for.

Thanks for reading, everyone; and thank you for welcoming me back to this awesome game!

2. ChrisTheMean

ChrisTheMean IncGamers Member

Re: Patriarch Mbwun - Fury/Rabies Wolf

Sounds like fun. Never done a wolf build. Congrats.

3. HappeningKT

HappeningKT Banned

Congrats on the pat. You have really nice gear there(I have never seen a metalgrid in my d2 life ). But, isn't trangs gloves a better option when you have invested so many points in rabies and synergy? Druids are my favourite class, and fury is such a wonderful skill. Try out a hunger bear next, I bet u'll love it.

Ohh and btw, welcome back.

4. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Hi Swiller, welcome back and congratulations on the Patriarch.

I like Rabies on my Wolf too. As you say, it is a great way of softening up a pack of monsters whilst you whack away at them. I also like the effect as they infect eachother. I think the rabies hatred PvM has a lot to do with D2 folklore. People are told "don't bother with rabies PvM" and repeat it to others without actually ever having tried it themselves. There seems to be alot of this in the BNet forums.

5. HappeningKT

HappeningKT Banned

Yeah, rabies is nice and fun to use, but I never find a reason to use it when coupled with fury.It is decent as a PI solution, but several other solutions(some of them much better than rabies) come up if it is just for PI's. If I play a rabies wolf, then I am certain that I wouldn't couple it fury. May be a rabies summoner or rabies+ fireclaws (or rabies+ armageddon may be) would give a decent incentive to use rabies. I would love to try those, but my instinct of always making a druid perfectly stops me from this until I find a D'web (lol).

6. AJK

AJK IncGamers Member

noobs use rabies lol.

Wait, what, you mean rabies actually works? Interesting. *gears start grinding*
    Nice build (and nice rare ring) and nice and compact writeup. Don't sue me if I steal that layout, OK?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  7. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

Congrats on your Patriarch, and welcome back.

Rabies can be interesting, but it's not the fastest of killers, which is why it doesn't mesh with many people. Glad you found it to your liking though. I take it you're the type who also enjoys Poison/Plague Javelin?

8. VoX Dei

VoX Dei IncGamers Member

Welcome back and grats on the rabid Pat :thumbsup:

9. Swiller

Swiller IncGamers Member

Rabies does work. But this was on players 1 in Hell. I don't run Hell on any higher (unless I'm playing my blizz sorc) so it will work much slower on p3 or higher.

And if you change your laugh-inducing write-ups, I will personally find you and smack you with a wet trout. :D

That's the problem. Most people are all about killing speed. I'm more about finesse and safety.

And yes...I adore Plague Javelin! As I--and others--have pointed out, it's entirely possible to kill an entire boss pack (or more) with a single javelin.

See here for inspiration.

10. Dakkas

Dakkas IncGamers Member

I like your little write-up at the beginning. I also have plans to make a Rabies Druid with Fury as back-up and seeing how you did pushed him up in my priority list

I got the impression that Rabies was mainly used as support to soften the monsters up before your blue staff whacked them to death. Did you ever consider strengthening the Rabies with items like Trang's glove?

11. Greebo

Greebo IncGamers Member

That's so true!

Sometimes when I read a discussion, I just feel like banging my head against the table. I mean it's a game and should be primarily a source of enjoyment. Watching a whole boss pack die out of one bite sure sounds enjoyable.

Interesting and entertaining write-up. Thanks for writing it and congrats!

--Greebo

12. Swiller

Swiller IncGamers Member

Yeah, that's about right. I'd usually infect rabies and then switch over to Fury to finish them off in a weakened state. But as I pointed out, its not uncommon to finish off a pack with Rabies alone. The monsters that have 0 poison resistance are the ones that this mainly applies to.

Not really. I needed the IAS on Laying of Hands, and the 350% Damage to Demons cannot be overlooked. Swapping gloves every time I switched to Rabies would be too much hassle.