Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Patriarch Mazrim – Bone Necromancer

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Luhkoh, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Luhkoh

Luhkoh Diabloii.Net Member

I talked a tad about that in the comment above, but I didn't use it except on gloams and archers. I'm very very far from a curses expert, so correct me if I'm wrong, but dim vision wont help once the merc engages them right? I suppose it would help him not get swarmed though. Is that the idea? But I used decrep most all the time. Drastically reduced merc dmg taken, gives me plenty of time for positioning, and increases the effect of CE enough that I don't really need to switch to amp (on p1) before starting a chain. I'm trying to get better though, so I'd love to hear your thoughts on how and when to use dim vision.

jonnyphive likes this.
  2. jonnyphive

jonnyphive Diabloii.Net Member

Sorry, I've looked over this post in bits and pieces the past couple of days so I must have missed the curse comments.

I have a long-parked hardcore Bone Spear / Bone Wall / Bone Prison / Dim Vision necro where I typically would lead with Dim Vision to shut down enemy aggro from a screen away and then selectively amp or decrep whatever enemies the merc would engage, depending on how dangerous they were. Also the Bone Wall/Prison would get mixed in as needed too. Great for slowing down champ packs. I think for you, though, being softcore and focusing on CE, DV probably isn't the best choice most of the time as you want some clumping up of enemy packs - especially considering your non-maxed CE. Maybe just DV to shut down hordes of ranged attackers (I'm looking at you, A5 guest skeleton archers!). Otherwise I would probably try decrep and/or amp to help the merc survive and get the first kill, and then overwrite decrep with amp before quickly blasting away with amp. Or keeping decrep if the mobs are just too tough for your merc - would probably be very situational until you get some great merc gear.

Luhkoh likes this.
  3. Jocular

Jocular Diabloii.Net Member

Necro pun out of the way, how much would you say I should put into dim vision for it to be useful? I was thinking 12+ points would be nice.

Luhkoh likes this.
  4. jonnyphive

I would start at 5 and test every 2-3 points added, because it'll really depends on preference. Level 12 will shut down large sections of the screen, with a radius of 10 yards vs the screen's "size" of 16 2/3 x 22 2/3 yards - that's about a fifth of the screen per cast.

Luhkoh likes this.
  5. Jocular

Jocular Diabloii.Net Member

I'm just worried about the curse's duration in hell, having to recast it every 3 seconds or so sounds annoying. Was that not an issue for you?

Luhkoh likes this.
  6. jonnyphive

Ah, I barely considered duration. Level 12 would probably be solid as it would give you ~7s duration, which should be more than enough time to gain control of a situation and get to a point where you won't need to recast it anyway. Level 8 has a hell duration of 5s, and even that should feel pretty comfortable during most battles I imagine. For me, it's the core to my strategy and I aim to have virtually everything blinded at all times, so the longer duration the better. I'm also not using CE to mass-clear the screen, which should further reduce how long you actually need the curse to be active.

Jocular and Luhkoh like this.
  7. Pizzaparty

Pizzaparty Diabloii.Net Member

Nice post!

When I play this type of character everything gets bone prisoned. Does not work on specters (RIP Conqueror Kuolio)

Jocular, jonnyphive and Luhkoh like this.