Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Patriarch Mazrim – Bone Necromancer

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Luhkoh, Mar 5, 2019.

1. Luhkoh

Luhkoh Diabloii.Net Member

Couldn’t resist making a new necro so soon after my reset, as I really wanted to get some CE going in cows and pits for RFL. And this guy turned out to be a blast! He was any playersetting and untwinked + small stash until patmat. I’m working toward an “untwinked till patmat” sept for my post-reset roster, and he’s the first! Unless you count my 99er sorc, which I don’t think I will.

The only necro I’d played previously was a fishy, and while I enjoyed it, and the safety and power was excellent, I found the play-style frustrating. Without teleport I found myself running ahead of my skellies, seeing enemies and turning back immediately to get behind my army. This “2 steps forward one step back” play was what I found slow and a tad frustrating. I have a feeling I’d really enjoy the character with enigma, but for now, for a new necro, bone seemed the obvious choice.

The Character
    [​IMG]

Skills
    Amplify Damage: 1/4
    Dim Vision: 1/4
    Weaken: 1/4
    Iron Maiden: 1/4
    Terror: 1/4
    Confuse: 1/4
    Life Tap: 1/4
    Attract: 1/4
    Decrepify: 2/5 (misclick :/)
    Lower Resist: 0/0

Teeth: 1/5
    Bone Armor: 1/8
    Poison Dagger: 0/0
    Corpse Explosion: 6/10
    Bone Wall: 20/24
    Poison Explosion: 0/0
    Bone Spear: 20/29
    Bone Prison: 20/24
    Poison Nova: 0/0
    Bone Spirit: 9/13

Skeleton Mastery: 0/4
    Raise Skeleton: 0/0
    Clay Golem: 1/2
    Golem Mastery: 1/2
    Raise Skeletal Mage: 0/0
    Blood Golem: 0/0
    Summon Resist: 1/2
    Iron Golem: 0/0
    Fire Golem: 0/0
    Revive: 0/0

Equipment
    Lore
    Crown
    OrtSol
    Defense: 43
    Durability: 48 of 50
    Required Level: 27
    Required Strength: 55
    Fingerprint: 0xaaf46dcc
    Item Level: 45
    Version: Expansion 1.10+
    +1 to All Skills
    +10 to Energy
    Lightning Resist +30%
    Damage Reduced by 7
    +2 to Mana after each Kill
    +2 to Light Radius

Prismatic Amulet
    Amulet
    Required Level: 31
    Fingerprint: 0xc2fdbeae
    Item Level: 57
    All Resistances +18

Stealth
    Leather Armor
    TalEth
    Defense: 17
    Durability: 20 of 24
    Required Level: 17
    Required Strength: 15
    Fingerprint: 0xf3dd3623
    Item Level: 7
    +25% Faster Run/Walk
    +25% Faster Cast Rate
    +25% Faster Hit Recovery
    +6 to Dexterity
    Regenerate Mana 15%
    +15 Maximum Stamina
    Poison Resist +30%
    Magic Damage Reduced by 3

Coral Ring
    Ring
    Required Level: 13
    Fingerprint: 0xf3c7fe2e
    Item Level: 51
    Lightning Resist +29%

Garnet Heavy Belt of the Colossus
    Heavy Belt
    Defense: 6
    Durability: 17 of 18
    Required Level: 22
    Required Strength: 45
    Fingerprint: 0xf502decf
    Item Level: 70
    +51 to Life
    Fire Resist +24%

Hsarus' Iron Heel
    Chain Boots
    Defense: 9
    Durability: 16 of 16
    Required Level: 3
    Required Strength: 30
    Fingerprint: 0x12d3ea9f
    Item Level: 61
    +20% Faster Run/Walk
    Fire Resist +25%

Trang-Oul's Claws
    Heavy Bracers
    Defense: 72
    Durability: 15 of 16
    Required Level: 45
    Required Strength: 58
    Fingerprint: 0x339fabe
    Item Level: 49
    +2 to Curses (Necromancer only)
    +20% Faster Cast Rate
    +25% to Poison Skill Damage
    +30 Defense
    Cold Resist +30%

Cobalt Ring of the Apprentice
    Ring
    Required Level: 13
    Fingerprint: 0x245cb039
    +10% Faster Cast Rate
    Cold Resist +25%

White
    Bone Wand
    DolIo
    One Hand Damage: 3 - 7
    Durability: 15 of 15
    Required Level: 35
    Fingerprint: 0x1b07a775
    Item Level: 20
    +3 to Poison and Bone Skills (Necromancer Only)
    +20% Faster Cast Rate
    +2 to Bone Spear (Necromancer Only)
    +4 to Skeleton Mastery (Necromancer Only)
    +3 to Bone Armor (Necromancer Only)
    +3 to Bone Spear (Necromancer Only)
    Hit Causes Monster to Flee 25%
    +10 to Vitality
    +13 to Mana
    Magic Damage Reduced by 4

Ancients' Pledge
    Superior Large Shield
    RalOrtTal
    Defense: 23
    Chance to Block: 0
    Durability: 24 of 27
    Required Level: 21
    Required Strength: 34
    Fingerprint: 0xbda6785a
    Item Level: 20
    +58% Enhanced Defense
    All Resistances +43
    Lightning Resist +5%
    Fire Resist +5%
    Poison Resist +5%
    10% Damage Taken Goes To Mana
    Increase Maximum Durability 15%

Merc
    Mercenary:

Name: Pratham
    Race: Desert Mercenary
    Type: Def-Nightmare
    Experience: 58459036
    Level: 78
    Dead?: false

Naked/Gear
    Strength: 174/179
    Dexterity: 139/144
    HP: 1487/1497
    Defense: 1103/1421
    AR: 1826/392590

Fire: 170/130/70
    Cold: 142/102/42
    Lightning: 185/145/85
    Poison: 156/116/56

Dread Mask
    Casque
    Defense: 66
    Durability: 16 of 24
    Required Level: 41
    Required Strength: 59
    Fingerprint: 0x59cd6702
    Item Level: 46
    1% Life stolen per hit
    5% Deadly Strike
    +10 to Life
    Lightning Resist +14%
    Fire Resist +28%

Bone Carapace
    Gothic Plate
    Defense: 252
    Durability: 36 of 55
    Required Strength: 70
    Fingerprint: 0xbfd0107d
    14% Chance to cast level 5 Charged Bolt when struck
    +24% Faster Hit Recovery
    +86% Enhanced Defense
    Lightning Resist +29%
    Poison Resist +14%

Insight
    War Scythe
    RalTirTalSol
    Two Hand Damage: 55 - 110
    Durability: 38 of 55
    Required Strength: 80
    Required Dexterity: 80
    Fingerprint: 0x1258ca11
    Item Level: 45
    Level 16 Meditation Aura When Equipped
    +35% Faster Cast Rate
    207% Enhanced Damage
    +9 to Minimum Damage
    214% Bonus to Attack Rating
    Adds 5 - 30 Fire Damage
    Adds 75 Poison Damage Over 5 Secs (125 Frames)
    +3 to Critical Strike
    All Stats +5
    +2 to Mana after each Kill
    23% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
    (Yes that’s a war scythe insight. We’ll get to that later.)

A few observations:
    1. Synergized bone armor is awesome
    2. CE is still devastating even if you don’t max it.
    3. Decrepify is OP
    4. Gumby is better than I gave him credit for

The Quest
    I made some really annoying mistakes starting this guy. I thought starting with teeth would be workable after seeing all the necro speedruns, but quickly found out this works far, far worse on p8 than the already mediocre job it does on p1. So I was mostly amping stuff and hitting it with an ith’d scepter. At this point, I started trying to put some points into skeletons, but it was too late for them to be very useful. I doubt I’ll start a necro again that doesn’t main raise skeleton till his end game skill is available.

Lvl 18 was a huge relief and I went ahead and burned the respec, and life was good from there on out. Bone spear pretty much wrecks normal and nightmare. For the general gearing plan, I decided early on to do zero magic finding, and just get all my gear from runewords and vendor shopping. This gives you less to work with of course, but it sure was a relief not trying to shrine up all my topazes like usual :p

I started running just a 3x tir rune broad sword to help with mana and this worked well. Also farmed a stealth from normal countess of course, and I think I even got enough ral's to make ancients pledge after getting the cube. Also saved enough cash to shop a tele staff in a3 normal. After getting bone spear, normal was a dream. Super easy and not really noteable other than the basic normal countess gear.

Onto nightmare. Before beginning farming nightmare countess, I went ahead and beat act 1 in order to get access to Mr. Drognan and start shopping for a white base. I made sure to save up some serious cash, and think I had even shrined up a couple of amethysts for cubing a potential base (I decided I wasn't willing to go with Larzuk on it). I ran some staffmod calcs, and estimated that I'd need to look at ~500 white/gray bone wands from this guy, on average, to successfully shop or cube any +3 bone spear white base. So I got ready to buckle down and do 300ish shops. After about 40 shops this beauty showed up :)

[​IMG]

Well that was much easier than expected! Didnt even have to cube it! Alright nm countess time. Made lore and found a war scythe base for insight and the runes fairly quickly. Good deal. But the io took ~60-70 runs. Pretty unlucky, but I didn't care, because I finally had this:

[​IMG]

I was planning on farming hell countess for a lum to make smoke to take care of my resists in hell, but during this time when I was looking for io, nm countess decided to grace me with a lum! Thats from her normal drop, not her special drop, and the odds are approximately 1 in 2600. Wow so things are going great. When a 2os cuirass dropped a little later I decided to go ahead and make smoke just to clear some stash space, even though I would use stealth for the fcr through the end of nm...

[​IMG]

Nooooooooo. Alright well I flushed countess's gift right down the toilet. Moving on.

Had some excellent luck when I decided I wanted to finish off nm dark elder despite the fact that he takes forever for a bone necro. He dropped me trangs gloves! So nice and very lucky. I was really hoping to find these AFTER he had patmatted. After this, nm progressed very easily. I didn't even really use corspe explosion, as bone spear was so powerful at this point. Nothing noteable through nightmare acts 3-5. Just cruised on through.

Now time to lvl and gear for hell. I decided to scrounge up (meaning shop) right about 100 mf and then lvl up on nm pindle. I usually go to baal for this but wanted to try out pindle for potentially better drops. It was a fair bit slower as I started doing it on p1, eventually getting a little better and going to p3. So it probably took about 150-200 runs to get to lvl 73, at which point I decided I'd lvl'd enough. And boy am I glad I went the slower route with pindle because...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Those are each about 1 in 20k odds. So needless to say, I was pumped.

Now that we're lvl'd, time to think about hell. During lvling, I put points in the bone armor synergies before putting any in bone spirit, so I used spear the the entire playthrough and got a very nice bone armor. I also decided to put a few extra hard points in CE, and i thought that might have a bigger effect than the extra synergy points from bone spirit. Not sure if that was correct, but it worked well. I am a BIG fan of having block in hell difficulty, but because of the huge bone armor on this guy, and the fact that resists were in high demand, I decided to go max vita and keep using ancient's pledge. I thought I was still gonna need to farm hell countess for a lum for the res, but I decided to see what I could slap together with what I had first. After some shopping, I ended up with the gear shown near the beginning and very respectable res. So no hell countess was needed, which was a huge relief. This was my first time using stealth or lore in hell, but it worked out great!

Here he is geared up for hell:

[​IMG]

Which I did end up dumping those points into Vita.

My biggest weakness at this point was the merc. He had crap gear, and a war scythe insight, and I just didnt see a way to get him a better weapon that wouldnt take more than a couple of hours. So we pressed on. He actually did surprisingly ok. He had gumby to soak some dmg and more importantly had me casting DECREPIFY. This spell is so op, and made my terrible merc reasonably safe in most situations. I used a holy freeze merc despite the corpse shattering. I just really thought he needed the safety.

Quick note on gameplay. I didnt find myself using bone wall or bone prison much at all. I used it on ancients, diablo, and i think lister's pack, and that was about it. Mostly it was spam decrep, shoot spears, recast golem, and CE. Is there a better way to play this or am I approaching it about right?

Things proceeded nicely. Duriel dropped rockstopper, atma's scarab, and treads of cthon. Very nice of him. Found a stormshield from a random flayer dungeon boss. And CS was really pretty smooth. In act 5 however, we encountered a few situations where the merc just could not cut it, even for a second. First was frozen river. I'll say it again: I think this is the hardest area in the game. At first I was panicking, saying how am I gonna get though this? As you can tell, I've become far too dependent on the merc. I said wait a sec, I have a recastable minion, and bone spear isn't even that mana intensive. So me and gumby did it without Pratham, and honestly it went fine. A bit slower and countless golem recasts of course, but it was fairly safe and didn't take as long as I expected. With that hurdle out of the way, it was time for ancients.

I went the through the same exact crisis where the merc wouldnt stay alive even for a second, despite decrep and bone prison (not sure why he was so bad honestly), and after a few resets and a short panic, I said wait a sec, wasn't I just in this situation? So me and gumby did it again! And it worked like a charm. His slow, plus decrep made things downright easy. I did prepare badly though, and had only 1 mana potion remaining at the end of the fight, but we eeked through!

WSK and baal were uneventful by comparison. CE rocks. Decrep rocks. That is all. Though I did cheese lister and walk him out of the room so I could skip him. After a long but relaxed fight with a completely disabled baal, the journey was over.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What's next?
    Now that he's a patriarch, Mazrim can use twinked gear. I don't have a ton, since my 99er sorc is my only other advanced character, but I do have homunculus (!), as well as a better weapon for poor Pratham. Except I'll also have to swap him out for a non HF merc. Ah well, your hardship was much appreciated. Rest well Pratham. I will respec Mazrim to poison and max block, and try and get him going for RFL round 1!

Next in my "untwinked till patmat" sept is a barb named Tormund. Getting the toughest class out of the way early, since I want him for RFL round 2. At the time of actually posting this writeup, I have actually just finished Tormund up, so another patmat thread should be coming soon! I also have another post I want to make before RFL, so you all let me know if I'm posting too much, but I think it will all be good stuff. Thanks for reading!

Pizzaparty, PhineasB, zemaj and 14 others like this.
  2. sir_cyclops

sir_cyclops Diabloii.Net Member

Nice write-up man! As a person who read Wheel of Time with you,
    I love the idea that Mazrim Taim is going to be ripping apart cows just like the Ashaman ripped apart the Aiel.

Luhkoh likes this.
  3. DiabloTwoinDC

DiabloTwoinDC Diabloii.Net Member

Congrats! I like that untwinked til Pat/mat approach. :)

sir_cyclops and Luhkoh like this.
  4. Luhkoh

Thank you! I want to experience what it feels like to get each class geared up well enough to be reasonably prepared for hell on their own. I definitely like it so far and will stick with it, but sometimes I'm like how many nm countess runs am I going to have to do?! As well as how many topazes I'm going to shrine hunt for :p

I also like the added challenge of small stash till patmat. I can't be bothered afterwards, but it's fun having to make some decisions about what to throw away, even if it does make the countess farming a little more annoying with the lack of chipped gems. Makes me feel like I "beat the game" without outside help.

5. Kitteh

Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Good job mate, bonemancers really are a blast to play :D

Luhkoh likes this.
  6. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Congrats !

sir_cyclops and Luhkoh like this.
  7. Luhkoh

8. Zyr

Zyr Diabloii.Net Member

Congratulations, and thanks for the splendid report. :) I have a special place in my heart for achieving P/M/G with "Stealth," "Lore," "Ancient's Pledge" and "White."

There is no such thing as posting too much!

T72on1 and Luhkoh like this.
  9. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Congratulations on the Patriarch, love the gear. Very 1.10.

Is The Wheel of Time worth reading? I’m put off that it is very long and he died before he finished it. I’m reluctant to start another series without a proper ending. George RR Martin / Patrick Rothfuss please get writing!

Luhkoh likes this.
  10. Luhkoh

@Zyr Thanks! I was pleased how well it worked. I definitely felt like I was rushing into hell with very basic gear but he did great! And thanks for the encouragement, I think I'll be getting the next post together tomorrow or so :p

@maxicek Thank you! and I say a resounding yes it's worth reading. Not quite on the level of KKC/ASOIAF of awesome, but right below them IMO (maybe my #3 series after those 2) and with the huge advantage that is IS finished. I'm not even a Sanderson fan (really at all), but I thought his 3 books that concluded the series after RJ's death were more than good enough to leave you satisfied. Way better than his own series I think.

I'm sure I'll read with excitement should another installment in ASOIAF/KKC come, but I'm about done hoping/thinking about them. But I'm glad to hear you're a fan as well!

sir_cyclops likes this.
  11. maxicek

Joe Abercrombie is my current favourite. I have a themed Pat to write up when I can be bothered...

sir_cyclops likes this.
  12. Luhkoh

Ooh nice. @sir_cyclops and I are actually both finishing up last argument of kings right now. The audiobooks are amazing. It's my second time through the trilogy, but I haven't read the standalones yet, and I'm very much looking forward to it. You tried out black company or acts of caine? I also really love me some dresden files, but it's quite a bit cheesier than the others mentioned.

Edit: You willing to say the name of the pat? I'm guessing Khalul :)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    maxicek and sir_cyclops like this.
  13. sir_cyclops

sir_cyclops Diabloii.Net Member

@maxicek Excited to see the themed Pat. I had a necromancer named Khalul before luhkoh and I reset to join this community. I have loved the third book, but the second book's ending had me quite peeved. You really should read WoT.

maxicek likes this.
  14. maxicek

The standalones are good too, particularly Best Served Cold. I’m reading the Dune prequels at the moment (a bit average) but I may start in the summer. Michael Moorcock is also a favourite, as you can see in the Mat & Pat compendium. I started The Black Company but couldn’t get into it. Maybe I will try again.

I have a load of characters with names plundered from The First Law. Shivers is my 1.00 classic Barb

As for the Pat: You have to be realistic about these things :p

Luhkoh and sir_cyclops like this.
  15. Luhkoh

Haha I love it. I'll look forward to the writeup. I haven't read any Moorcock yet I'll have to try it out, and I have read dune, but none of the sequels yet. I found the first 50 or so pages of black company difficult to get into as well for some reason (not sure how far in you got), but loved it after that. Especially book 2. However, If you're ok with more profanity and violence than asoiaf or first law, as well as a sci fi twist, acts of caine is my #1 recommendation. I can't recommend it without that disclaimer :p but it's realllly good.

16. Smittyphi

Smittyphi Diabloii.Net Member

Bonemancers are a whole lot of fun. Ripping off bone spears in narrow corridors is mighty fun. My first Sorceress coming back is named Moiraine.

Kitteh and sir_cyclops like this.
  17. Luhkoh

Niiiice :) I almost made a Moiraine as well! However, I think I settled on Cyndane being my next sorceress, so not too far off! And yeah I love the linear, penetrating spells. Not sure why, but Lightning and bonespear are just satisfying to use.

18. TedDeeBoy

TedDeeBoy Diabloii.Net Member

Congrats @Luhkoh. The gumby is a great decoy. Dim vision can help but costs a lot of synergies for Bonemancers
    Cools drops, definitely the Duriel drop was worth a screenie. I mean it wasn't a scroll of TP and 3 set of bolts!

19. Luhkoh

Thanks! Next time Duriel graces me with anything useful I'll be sure and grab one! So probably never :p And I actually did have dim vision. I think I had one in every curse except lower res, thinking life tap would help out with the undergeared merc. I never really use dim vision except to spam it on not-yet-engaged gloams and archers. Which is of course fantastic, but necros have so many tools with their curses that I feel like I'm not yet close to using them near their full potential.

TedDeeBoy likes this.
  20. jonnyphive

jonnyphive Diabloii.Net Member

Great write-up! Did you ever consider using Dim Vision rather than decrep? I would think in some situations it could be very useful, although it's probably much more prudent for HC.