Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Patriarch Kakistos, Trang-Oul's Venomancer

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Colorless Green, May 21, 2008.

1. Colorless Green

Colorless Green IncGamers Member

Patriarch Kakistos, Trang-Oul's Venomancer

Class-specific 4/8.

Patriarch Kakistos, Level 82 Trang-Oul's Venomancer

Str: 76 (106)
    Dex: 146 (181)
    Vit: 253 (268)
    Ene: 25 (30)

Life: 895
    Mana: 839
    Resists: 80/75/75/75
    Poison Nova: 7500-7714
    Fire Wall: 1700-1741
    Lower Resist: -65

Skills:
    Clay Golem: 1 (10)
    Golem Mastery: 1 (10)
    Summon Resist: 1 (10)
    Lower Resist: 19 (28)
    All other curses: 1 (10)
    Teeth: 1 (19)
    Corpse Explosion: 1 (19)
    Poison Dagger: 20 (38)
    Poison Explosion: 20 (38)
    Poison Nova: 20 (41)

Equipment:
    Trang-Oul's Guise (Shael)
    Trang-Oul's Scales (Ral)
    Trang-Oul's Claws
    Trang-Oul's Girth
    Waterwalk
    Mara's Kaliedoscope
    The Stone of Jordan
    The Stone of Jordan
    +3 PNova White Petrified Wand
    Trang-Oul's Wing (Eld)
    nothing on switch
    6 P&B Skillers, a couple resist charms, a couple life charms

Holy Freeze Merc:
    Insight Cryptic Axe, Duriel's Shell, Vampire Gaze

This was my first ever poison-based char, and it was fun. I can only think of two unbreakably poison immune monster types I encountered (gloams, maggots), and they went down just fine to fire wall and corpse explosion. I used both FW and CE pretty liberally against the highly resistant monsters, however, since it sped things up quite a bit after LR.

The vampire form was interesting, certainly amusing if nothing else. There were a few weird things, though, for example the kicking "animation", which involved just standing still for about six times as long as a normal kicking action. Also, my merc vanished pretty much constantly which was extremely annoying. Not died, just, vanished. Either fell prey to one of the invisible merc bugs or just failed to teleport to me when I outran him. As a result, I wound up doing most of hell mercless (despite him showing up in the corner of my screen). The complete lack of casting speed was probably the biggest downfall. It's not like I wanted to spam poison nova or attempt to use my 350 damage fireball something, it's just that any fast-hitting monster could smack me down in the time it would take for me to get any spell off. Gloams and frenzytaurs were particularly obnoxsious in this respect.

Ancients were no challenge whatsoever, since pnova is perfectly geared towards running circles around them. First try, no problems (though the merc did need a couple big purples). Same with the minions/baal. All very easy. Wave four was a bit annoying, but LR+FW brought down enough for CE to do it's work.

No notable finds. At all. Ko/Hel from hellforges :sad2:

I think I might be taking a break from the class-specific sets for a bit to either level my blizz up to 97 or run LK/pindle/AT/something til my eyes bleed. We'll see.

-CG

2. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

Re: Patriarch Kakistos, Trang-Oul's Venomancer

Well done! Any reasoning behind pumping LR instead of going Poison/Summon hybrid? =).

Hard to see with bloody eyes. ;).

3. Cygnus

Cygnus IncGamers Member

Wow, that didn't take very long. We can expect your next mat/pat before the weekend, right?

4. Colorless Green

If I played it at the same pace as this one, yes. I think I started it two days ago. I'm a bit tired of questing at the moment, though, so it might be like a week or something.

A few. First, whenever I manage to beg, borrow, or steal a dweb I'll be building another one which will be poison/summon hybrid, and I don't like building two identical (skillwise) chars just to readjust stats. Second, I've always wanted a maxed LR. Third, in addition to helping poison, the extra few points of -LR helped the fire damage and I wanted incentive to use it, since this is likely the only time I'll ever use the set. Last, I didn't think I'd need a meat shield beyond a merc and gumby what with how defensive the set is and all the curses (and I didn't). An added bonus which I hadn't really thought of was the fact that I could stand at harrogath's gates and curse eldritch. Made sure I didn't miss anybody.

-CG

5. bill_n_opus

bill_n_opus IncGamers Member

A dweb will boost your killing power immensely ... I don't even use LR on my dweb based venomancer and can still power through Pits at players8 if I wanted to.

I have 8 skill points left at clvl 91 and i'm still debating whether to put points to get LR ... or to add them to skeleton mastery/bone armor ... I used to have LR on switch but have since swapped it for a Naj's Puzzler for the tele.

Pumping LR sounds like overkill to me to be honest.

Of course, if I could find a Jah i'd make Enigma and make my venomancer's life a little easier, lol.

6. Colorless Green

I'd personally recommend getting one point in LR then spending the rest on skeleton mastery. That's my plan for my eventual pit running venomancer. Pumping LR was definitely overkill and not necessary - I just didn't want skeletons.

7. Swiller

Swiller IncGamers Member

Nice patriarch! :thumbsup: I have plans to do one of these soon.

Oh...as for your vanishing mercenary. Were you in "walk" mode? I have heard it can happen with a Trang-Oul necromancer using walk instead of run. It isn't limited to this build, either. My two frenzy barbarians, who both used "walk" had the same problem. When I switched to "run" the problem ended and the mercenary kept up just fine.

Anyhow...congrats!