Item Level: **
Version: Expansion 1.10+
35% Chance to cast level 15 Venom on striking
+33% Increased Attack Speed
Damage +370
Ignore Target's Defense
-25% Target Defense
+2 to Attack Rating
+159% Damage to Demons (Based on Character Level)
Adds 5 - 30 Fire Damage
-20% to Enemy Poison Resistance
20% Deadly Strike
Prevent Monster Heal
+2 to Mana after each Kill
+14 Life after each Kill

Fortitude
Archon Plate
ElSolDolLo
Defense: 1581
Durability: 60 of 60
Required Level: 63
Required Strength: 103
Fingerprint: 0xf1aa3e74
Item Level: **
20% Chance to cast level 15 Chilling Armor when struck
+25% Faster Cast Rate
300% Enhanced Damage
+200% Enhanced Defense
+15 Defense
+127 to Life (Based on Character Level)
Replenish Life +7
+5% to Maximum Lightning Resist
All Resistances +27
Damage Reduced by 7
12% Damage Taken Goes To Mana
+1 to Light Radius

Exile
Sacred Targe
VexOhmIstDol
Defense: 977
Chance to Block: 0
Durability: 23 of 23
Required Level: 57
Required Strength: 76
Fingerprint: 0x605cb513
Item Level: 79
15% Chance to cast level 5 Life Tap on striking
Level 14 Defiance Aura When Equipped
+2 to Offensive Aura Skills (Paladin Only)
+30% Faster Block Rate
Freezes target +1
+243% Enhanced Defense
Replenish Life +7
+5% to Maximum Cold Resist
+5% to Maximum Fire Resist
All Resistances +39
25% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
Repairs 1 Durability in 4 Seconds
Ethereal

Blood Clutches
Sharkskin Gloves
Defense: 38
Durability: 14 of 14
Required Level: 73
Required Strength: 20
Fingerprint: 0xacfbf472
Item Level: 89
2% Life stolen per hit
10% Chance of Crushing Blow
+13 to Strength
+14 to Dexterity
+18 to Life
+32 to Mana
Poison Resist +5%

Doom Touch
Ring
Required Level: 48
Fingerprint: 0x478cc51a
Item Level: 87
Adds 1 - 18 Lightning Damage
+11 to Strength
+15 to Dexterity
Cold Resist +28%
Lightning Resist +20%
Fire Resist +9%
The Planning Stage

Typically when I put together a pat/mat, I'm trying for a unique spin on a piece of gear or game mechanic. This is not the case with Kailash. He's a very faithful tribute to Liquid Evil's Lycidas - a build I've wanted to try for some time now. Using his pat thread as a guide, I went with his gear/skills choices with a few exceptions:

• I decided against further boosting my defense with a high defense glove like Steelrend. Instead, I went with a lighter pair of blood gloves to avoid having to spend so many stat points in strength.
  • I went with a rare stat ring over nature's peace because I didn't have the lore going that LE had with Lycidas, so again, I went with lowering my stat requirements to pump life.
  • I ended up not spending any points in Smite...because I loved spending time as a bear so much. In practice, I can see why he spent those points in smite, because you really don't have a whole of built-in AR in this build. Grief's ITD let me easily hit normal monsters, but anything unique does need a decent amount of AR. The end-bosses are the hardest to hit - where Smite's auto-hit shines.
So, if Kailash isn't particularly unique, then why build him?

Well, I'm always searching for more effective ways to tank, so Kailash was an interesting experiment that emphasized 2 particular aspects of tanking that my previous tanks had neglected: seriously high defense and combining life tap with high physical damage per second.

I wanted a good comparison to my previous Pat, Champ who had a LOT more life, a lot less damage, less defense, and better resists/absorb/damage reduction. I intentionally did not max my resists on Kailash to see how much that mattered when it came to facing elemental damage. My end-game resists don't look that bad, but up until the Anya quest, I was walking around with 39 fire resist and 49 lightning resist in Hell.

As a final note, Kailash is named after a sacred mountain in Tibet. The mountain has never been scaled and that seemed fitting for a build that I've wanted to try for a while now.

Leveling and Observations

Up until lvl 64, I leveled Kailash as a standard fanatic ranger, going from Raven Claw to Riphook to Buriza. During this period, I suffered my character's lone death in the durance of hate in NM. I just ran blindly into a pack of dolls and urdars and got stunlocked to death. :confused: Oof. Yeah, I'm still shaking off the rust of not playing in a couple of years.

Once I was able to pack on all my end-game gear, I found that running around as a fanatic werebear was a heck of a lot of fun. I was crunching through everything pretty fast. I mean, what build wouldn't with the master key combination of Grief and Fort that unlocks pretty much any melee build? I did wish, for about the millionth time, that Blizzard let us put auras on the left click. Having to individually click on every monster can be a little trying. Defensively, being a werebear doubled my life and allowed for a lot of mistakes.

So, how did this tank differ from my previous tanks? He did pretty darn well! Against physical attackers he was pretty much invincible. When I got cursed, I didn't immediately go to the healer to remove it. I just wandered around to see if it made a difference. It honestly did not. Monsters just could not hit me. I periodically checked my to-get-hit-chance and it stayed in the single digits until I hit the throne room in Hell. Then a couple monsters hit double digits...at a whopping 11%. When a hit did manage to get through my defense, it had to get through my 75% chance to block. And if I happened to not block, then I just leached back whatever damage I took with my next attack. Exile's ctc Lifetap really is a game changer. Being able to leech from unleechables means you can feel safe against damn near anything...

...except for physical immunes. Even when I could lifetap them, I wasn't doing any physical damage, so I couldn't leach anything. I just had to run past areas with lots of PI's.

I faced a particularly nasty double boss pack in Frozen River. A unique snake pack with fanaticism and cursed, and a unique rogue archer pack with might. Holy smokes. Well, I waded into that mess and while my merc bit the dust almost instantly, I was able to blast through the two packs pretty quickly and without seeing my life bulb budge much.

Against elemental attackers, it was a different story. My toughest test was in Frozen River, my vote for the hairiest area in the game (especially for a melee attacker). All the rivers block movement but without providing any cover. You're constantly getting pelted with a hail of projectiles while desperately running towards the one bridge that will let you hit back. And gloams. There seems to be a really high chance to spawn gloams. Most of my NDE's happened here. Champ could sit in a pile of gloams and make a sandwich, but I had to beat a lot of hasty retreats with Kailash when I saw lightning bolts coming.

So, in conclusion, I do think I'm going to try and balance packing on resists/absorb with having a high enough DPS to take advantage of lifetap.

Misc
I got a Gul from my Hellforge, always a success when I get one of those puppies.
Also, this has to be the most convenient River of Flame map I've ever gotten. First left is the Hellforge, then a short, straight shot to the WP.

Last edited:

Neksja

Diabloii.Net Member
Masterfully done hero!

That looks like a char with some pretty serious gear there! How was your attack speed in wereform?

Thanks for the post, I've never had a Beast and these are the likes of builds I'd like to try at some point. Then again, I am still in need of accumulating some runes to make these items, but once I do, I'll be looking this post up and figuring out my own Beast character :)

What's next?

SunsetVista

Diabloii.Net Member
That's a really good writeup! I like the name reference, the character concept (I've never seen one like this before, cool!), the comparison to another tanky build at this level of optimization, and that you showed how it was challenging at times even with the great gear. I hadn't ever thought about doing a paladin werebear and how the block chance could be so high, since normally I automatically avoid shields on druids. So that's a neat thing to think about. =)

Grats on the Pat!

Last edited:

gedda-d-e

Diabloii.Net Member
Congratulations on the Pat - very cool paladin indeed. I see being on a mac didn't hold you back from those ladder-only RWs :)

Funny thing with the death and the single-target clicking. I noticed the same coming back, my first was an A3 fire-spitting shaman. Waltzed right up to it for a few hits, life gone in the blink of an eye. You just sit there and stare at the screen knowing full well that is what was bound to happen!
I found that being on a mac (no F1-F5 keys) I prefer the hack 'n' slash play style of a melee char though, because of some skills being locked to right click. Along with pots & gold, that for sure was the greatest triumph in Diablo 3!

Awesome write up, what's next?

/g

TopHatCat64

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks guys, appreciate it! :)

How was your attack speed in wereform?
I was attacking at 6 fpa as a werebear (without Fanaticism, I'd be hitting at 7fpa). I'd need a 40IAS Grief to hit 5 fpa. Still, 6 fpa felt pretty fast on this guy.

I hadn't ever thought about doing a paladin werebear and how the block chance could be so high, since normally I automatically avoid shields on druids. So that's a neat thing to think about. =)
Yea, without Holy Shield, I wouldn't have even bothered with block, but HS brought my final dex count down to a reasonable number.

Congratulations on the Pat - very cool paladin indeed. I see being on a mac didn't hold you back from those ladder-only RWs :)

Awesome write up, what's next?
Luckily, I had already made a lot of the more useful ladder-only runewords when I was still playing on my PC, so it seems like those work fine on my Mac. I just can't make any new ladder-only runewords right now.

As for what's next? The next pat/mats are probably going to be a wind wolf (fury triggering ctc tornados from stormlash) and I'm trying again to make a zealasin work better for me (after my last one left me frustrated). Long term, I'm trying to fit Dracul's Grasp on two future "survival" tanks in the vein of Champ after what I learned from this pat.

Neksja

Diabloii.Net Member
I was attacking at 6 fpa as a werebear (without Fanaticism, I'd be hitting at 7fpa). I'd need a 40IAS Grief to hit 5 fpa. Still, 6 fpa felt pretty fast on this guy.
Good to hear that you weren't a slow furry ball swinging your paws around :)

As for what's next? The next pat/mats are probably going to be a wind wolf (fury triggering ctc tornados from stormlash) and I'm trying again to make a zealasin work better for me (after my last one left me frustrated). Long term, I'm trying to fit Dracul's Grasp on two future "survival" tanks in the vein of Champ after what I learned from this pat.
Glad that Stormlash Wind-wolfie is on your list! I made one back in the day and it was fun. Just remember that Stormlash has a level requirement of 82, so you gotta do some levelling in the Pits or somewhere to get your end-game weapon before reaching too far in Hell. I used Horizon's (lvl req 64) until I hit lvl82, just to stay within the same theme. Good luck with him, looking forward to read your Pat thread :)

Lynchgrinch

Diabloii.Net Member
I was hoping you'd found a way around the Mac Ladder Runewords.

*sighs*

Awesome build. Really love the idea and the name!

That RoF map is luckier than a Zod drop.