Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Patriarch Getafix, Fireclaws/Fury Aldur's druid

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Cygnus, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Cygnus

Cygnus IncGamers Member

Patriarch Getafix, Fireclaws/Fury Aldur's druid

This report contains some disturbing and possibly offensive. Those who have played fury wolves before are advised to proceed with caution. You have been warned :)

The set

Aldur's set needed a little bit of love. IK and Tal's are revered, Trang's and M'av's get used every once in a while, Gris' exists in many dreams and even Nat's gets the occasional honourable mention. Mention Aldur's and you get curses if you are lucky, shin kicks if you are not.

The set itself has juicy mods at first glance.
    90-100 to all resists
    +3 druid skills
    +1 shapeshifting and elemental skills
    150% bonus to attack rating
    +45 to all attributes :eek:
    An additional 15 to dex and 20 to str
    50% magic find
    15% mana leech
    10% life leech
    Fast walk and hit recovery
    Up to 6 sockets

Perfect for melee, right? Can look at IK in the eye and not blink. Even better, it only uses up four equipment slots. Until you look at the beat stick, that is.

One-Hand Damage: 60 To 93 (76.5 Avg)
    Required Level: 42
    Required Strength: 74
    Durability: 72
    Base Weapon Speed: [10]
    +200% Damage To Demons
    +50% Damage To Undead
    Adds 40-62 Damage
    Adds 50-75 Lightning Damage
    30% Increased Attack Speed
    10% Life Stolen Per Hit
    5% Mana Stolen Per Hit
    Socketed (2-3) (varies)*
    +15 To Strength (2 Item)
    +15 To Strength (3 Items)
    +15 To Strength (Completed Set)

This deservedly gets booed off stage. One, it's an exceptional weapon, two, it doesn't have a big damage multiplier. Or does it? The full set bonus has a very intersting line:

+350% Enhanced Damage*

The Arreat Summit helpfully mentions that this is not a bug but a balance issue (i.e., "feature") *cough* yeah, there was the danger this set might just be a little too powerful.

The build

How best to put it to use? The mods obviously suggest melee, and the weapon is fast. Elemental damage would be great, hmm, Fire Claws fits the bill. But the somewhat icky issue of fire immunes needs to be tackled. I need a backup. "Leave it to the merc" appeared to be the vote winner. No go, I can take a single element sorceress with teleport or an amazon with valkyrie through Hell, but have every FI be killed by the moron? I thought it would be too tedious. Not to mention un-fun, killing every non-immune in a single hit with a highly synergized fire claws and going back to town and whining to the NPCs about every fallen boss that appeared in the moor. I began to look for alternatives. "Do a windy, those guys can clear Hell naked" Hardly a resounding affirmation of the set's virtues, is it? I wouldn't be using most of the set's bonuses but at least they won't be hurting me ... nope, can do better. "Use a ribcracker on switch." And lose the set bonus. "Just ditch the weapon and use Ribbie instead." You're kidding, right?

Could I make physical damage work? That off-weapon ED has been written off as a bug, but really, it's like having your own might aura. A little better in fact. If I could cram as many fine small charms as I could find into my back pack ... wait a second, 6 sockets!

/math
    off-weapon ED = 350
    ED from strength = 150+
    Level 24 Fury = 491
    Total about 1000

That's right, each unit of damage (weapon and off weapon) gets multiplied eleven-fold. The weapon has a not-inconsiderable 76.5 damage to begin with, so I'm already at 800+ per hit. With a few damage jewels, I'll be able to make this work.

The gear

Weapon, armour, helm and boots are taken care of, which leaves two rings, gloves, belt and amulet slots to be filled. Oh, and the shield. The shield??? Which self-respecting shape-shifting druid uses a shield anyway? The argument against shields goes like this: shapeshifting critters take forever to block, and their skills are interruptible. Death-by-fallen is usually enough to convince druids to drop the shield and go big two-hander. The argument for shields is simpler: it blocks three out of four attacks, stupid. The set provides a nice +65 to dexterity, which makes it easy to reach max block. And with the %AR bonus, each point in dex adds 12.5 AR. Worthwhile investment, no doubt, but what about block speed? The block speed table
    Code:
    Block speed     12    11    10    9    8    7     6    5    4    3    2    1
    Werebear         0     5    10   16   27   40    65  109  223
    Werewolf                          0    7   15    27   48   86  200      
    Barbarian                                   0     9   20   42   86  280
    Sorceress                         0    7   15    27   48  200  200                 

A wolf is only as slow as a sorceress, and no one complains about blocking melee sorceresses. With a rhyme shield, a wolf is only one frame slower than a barbarian. Not bad. Rhyme it is.

String of Ears is a standard choice for the belt slot, blood gloves gave some useful crushing blow while juicy rares completed the setup.

Amulet
    Required Level: 67
    Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
    Item Level: 96
    Fingerprint: 0x919a206f
    +21 to Strength
    Magic Damage Reduced by 2
    7% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items
    +2 to Druid Skill Levels
    10% Faster Cast Rate

Raven Turn <---------- I like this one :cool:
    Ring
    Required Level: 66
    Item Level: **
    Fingerprint: 0x72780950
    +17 to Strength
    +24 to Life
    +96 to Attack Rating
    Fire Resist +24%
    Lightning Resist +11%
    Cold Resist +11%
    Poison Resist +11%
    14% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items

Bone Eye
    Ring
    Required Level: 60
    Item Level: 79
    Fingerprint: 0x2531242c
    +37 to Life
    +50 to Attack Rating
    +6 to Minimum Damage
    Lightning Resist +6%
    6% Life stolen per hit

Wraith Knuckle
    Sharkskin Gloves
    Defense: 48
    Durability: 14 of 14
    Required Strength: 20
    Required Level: 34
    Item Level: 93
    Fingerprint: 0x177918a5
    +10 to Life
    +22% Enhanced Defense
    +20 to Attack Rating
    Cold Resist +15%
    1% Life stolen per hit
    10% Chance of Crushing Blow
    Repairs 1 durability in 20 seconds

Primary setup was an Aldur's weapon/Rhyme shield socketed with 3 shaels for fire claws. Weapon switch had another Aldur's weapon and Rhyme shields with these socketeds:

Shadow Eye
    Jewel
    Required Level: 37
    Item Level: 86
    Fingerprint: 0x6e0986c5
    +7 to Life
    +7 to Minimum Damage
    +9 to Maximum Damage

Crimson Jewel of Fervor
    Required Level: 31
    Item Level: 48
    Fingerprint: 0x35764dc6
    +6 to Minimum Damage
    15% Increased Attack Speed

Jewel of Fervor
    Required Level: 31
    Item Level: 42
    Fingerprint: 0x4a70e3d
    15% Increased Attack Speed

The helm got:

Ruby Jewel of Carnage
    Required Level: 18
    Item Level: 41
    Fingerprint: 0xa75bf540
    +13 to Maximum Damage
    Fire Resist +21%

Rusty Jewel of Carnage
    Required Level: 18
    Item Level: 83
    Fingerprint: 0x77f37b3
    +20% Enhanced Damage
    +15 to Maximum Damage

The armour: (Larzuk socketed)

Raven Whorl
    Jewel
    Required Level: 30
    Item Level: 86
    Fingerprint: 0x611d9df2
    +6 to Minimum Damage
    +8 to Maximum Damage
    +20 poison damage over 2 seconds

Charms: One shapeshifting skiller, plus some that add life, AR and resists.

The skills

Fire Claws: 27 (20)
    Fury: 27 (20)
    Lycanthropy: 26 (19)
    Werewolf: 8 (1)
    Grizzly: 6 (1)
    Oak Sage: 6 (1)
    Raven: 6 (1)
    Carrion Vine: 6 (1)
    Solar Creeper: 6(1)

Firestorm: 20
    Molten Boulder: 1

Firestorm and Molten Boulder are Fire Claws synergies. I didn't really use these after I got Fire Claws.
    Werewolf adds nicely to attack speed, and boosts attack rating further.
    Lycanthropy gives a nice boost to life and to wereform duration.
    The bear is durable against small or weak packs but has to recast often. Casting it ahead of me to absorb damage works very well.
    The sage dies far too often, but boosts every one's life while it is around, quite useful.
    Ravens were always kept around, but they had trouble consistently blinding in Hell. The blind duration is quite small as well.
    Carrion vine is very useful to keep the life bulb topped up and helps with corpse disposal at well.
    Solar creeper was used exclusively for corpse disposal, in instances where Getafix wasn't getting hit at all. A much more reliable source of corpse disposal than the carrion vine.

The stats

Level: 82
    Life: 2928 (in wolf form, with Oak bonus), 2448 (without Oak bonus)
    Mana: 451 (mana burn wasn't a problem -- regen was faster than attack speed)

Fireclaws setup:
    Damage: 2.8k - 3.4k
    AR: 11k

Fury setup:
    Damage: 1.1k - 1.9k
    AR: 8.4k

Hell resists: 75 all

Strength: 183
    Dexterity: 200
    Vitality: 285
    Energy: 65

Block: 75%

The mercenary

Fazel

Holy Freeze Aura
    Hone Sundan (AmmAmnShael)
    Griswold's Heart (RalOrtThul)
    Blackhorn's Face

The crushing blow is awesome, but damage is a little low. He took his own sweet time finishing off monsters after quickly getting them down to 10% of their max health.

The goodies

Ko (nightmare forge)
    Telling of Beads (Hell Underground passage)
    Ruby (37%) jewel (Hell Plains of Despair)
    Pul (Hell forge)
    Flamebellow (Hell Chaos Sanctuary)

The forge drops are above average, but out of my 7 hell forge drops, the best is an Um *grumble*

The progress

Firestorm was used until Fire Claws was available. Fire Claws murdered everything until act 4 nightmare, where fire immune knights first appeared. Chaos sanctuary was a pain, but Fazel was powerful.

The general strategy was to keep minions around (bear, vine, sage, and the crows), recasting as often as needed. Which was quite often, as the vine and the sage aren't exactly durable, and crows get a fixed number of pecks. Casting grizzly at an approaching pack made sure Getafix never felt the heat. He couldn't wade into packs like a Ribcracker wolf would have, but he had no trouble taking on critters 2 at a time. Cast the bear, let monster surround him and the moron, and whittle down the pack from the edges. It worked well, very well in fact.

Act 1 hell was easy, almost too easy in fact. Getafix leveled up first at the moor (up to level 70 or so), then at Pindle in nightmare and then again at the cold plains. At level 76, he could wear the full set and then pressed on. Pitspawn took us by surprise, but besides that, there weren't any scary moments.

It was safe passage through act 2. The solar creeper was the hero here, getting rid of the corpses avoiding endless resurrections. No tough moments.

SSzark provided quite a scare: fire immune, extra fast, extra strong and cursed. Getafix got trapped and for a moment it looked like it might be curtains, but Fazel killed a spider just in time for Getafix to sneak out. Dolls could be tanked. Even bosses and champs. 75% block adds a lot of safety here against multiple simultaneous explosions, and individual hits took off only a third of his life. The only one I didn't tank was a Possessed doll, I didn't want to risk it against their insane life. The council was a pushover, even Fanatic Bremm.

Act 4: FI knights, FI venom lords. And more FI balrogs. And even more balrogs. I saw those beasts in every single level. Bah. At the end of it all, there was this joy called the Chaos Sanctuary. More FIs and that god-awful IM. Need I say more? It's a miracle Getafix got out of that without dying. A sizable fortune was spent resurrecting Fazel, though. Three hours at the sanctuary and I nearly made a rant thread here at the SPF. Good thing I was feeling sleepy that evening, no? :)

Act 5: One close moment with snakes, witches and lancers in the caves. No frenzytaurs or cursing witches at all! But more OKs in WSK3 and the throne level. The old fogies didn't even require a reroll: they came out with absolute chump mods: two of them had LE, two of them teleportation. I think there was magic resistant among them. No auras, no extra strong, nor amp, no mana burn, no physical immunity, sweeet! CB + fireclaws got Madawc down first, after which it was slow progress against Korlic (FI). Talic drew a dud, his weapon barely did noticable damage. Once Korlic was gone, Talic was crushed. Baal behaved: no appendages, no clone until slivered and didn't knock us back too often.

All act bosses were dead easy: Fazel brought their life down and Getafix finished off the job.

It's all the more satisfying that he got through the game without dying at all.

The verdict

Fun factor: High (except OKs)
    Kill speed: Good
    Style: Yes, very much. When the last time you saw an Aldur's druid?
    Item finds: Meh
    Safety: Very high. Minions + high resists + high life + block + massive life leech.

The druid's got the glow around him, but he isn't going to get on the catwalk any time soon. In wolf form, he's a biped, looks somewhat like a kangaroo, and has rat/rabbit teeth. His centre of gravity is not directly over his feet, which would leave him liable to falling down frequently. In human form, there's that goat head ...

Those with a Ribcracker or similar fury wolf probably cringe at the thought of a 1-handed exceptional weapon max block wolf, I'll make up for it with a *real* wolf someday, ok? :tongue:

That wraps it up from me. Thanks for reading!

2. BobCox

BobCox IncGamers Member

Re: Patriarch Getafix, Fireclaws/Fury Aldur's druid

Very Nice. - Sticky even

3. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

The first thing I thought when I read "Aldur's / Fury druid" was "doesn't the weapon completely suck for damage?" It's good to see you answer that semi-definitively (it sucks, but it can work if you plan for it).

And fyi, I've seen a few complaints about slow-blocking on melee sorcs. I've felt those complaints myself. But, as you know, some FBR and a little patience can go a long way.

Overall though, great work, and a great writeup.

hijack:
    <--- with that post count, I need to make sure my next post is something even more inane than usual. :laugh:

4. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

Congrats! Very nice writeup. Never knew about that 350% ED thing either...

I take it he will be parked in Act 5 forever now? Or do you have some crazy plans. ;).

5. corax

corax IncGamers Member

FWWWOOOAR!!

Druidage to the max!
    cheers to you mate:thumbsup:

6. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Congratulations on the Patriach and a great write up.

I like the name too - I'm surprised that I cant remember seeing a druid with that name before.

7. Skinhead On The MBTA

Skinhead On The MBTA IncGamers Member

*Adds another build onto an ever-increasing list of things to do*

Wait a minute, I already have a young Fury/Fire Claws Druid in the works - I'll just use him!

*Removes new character from list of things to do*

Nice work, style points ftw!

8. Antonio

Antonio IncGamers Member

Nice tree hugger!

Too bad that the druids set is such an underdog, but that fact alone lets you write a interesting report when you build one around it. Stylish, very gg!

9. Swiller

Swiller IncGamers Member

Very, very impressive. I too have been thinking that Aldur's needs some love, but wasn't sure how to make it work. This gives me some great pointers.

Congratulations, Cygnus!

10. Liquid_Evil

Liquid_Evil IncGamers Member

Masterfully done hero!

(I've always really disliked that set)

11. Cygnus

Cygnus IncGamers Member

Thanks everyone! Hopefully this means we'll see more Aldur's druids soon.

This guy joins the retirement community, no MF'ing for him. Single target attack skill and MF don't mix.

I can see block lock being annoying for a sorc without minions, the bear was a big help here.

EDIT: @HHB, good luck! My set sept is at 3/7 (zon, necro, druid done) and I have IK and Nat's sets ready. But Pindle refuses to give me Griswold's stuff and Tal's armour.

12. HellHoundBarb

HellHoundBarb IncGamers Member

Congrats on the nice Pat!

I'm building one for my set sept, mine is going to be full FC*. I played out normal, and it was really much fun!

Code:
    *Skill Layout:
    Shapeshifting Tree:
    Fire Claws: 20
    Lycantrophy: 20
    Shock Wave: 1
    Werebear: 1
    Prerequisites: 3

Elemental Tree:
    Fissure: 20
    Volcano: 20
    Prerequisites: 2

Summoning Tree:
    Oak Sage: 1
    Carrion Vine: 1
    Summon Grizzly: 1
    Prerequisites: 4

Rest in FC synergies
    HHB

13. Zhao_Yue

Zhao_Yue IncGamers Member

* Gasp* That should have been used for LLD.

Vote: Cygnes

Otherwise its a good build.

14. muzzz

muzzz IncGamers Member

Nice build, and a great write-up! Some math is always gg :thumbsup:

15. HellHoundBarb

HellHoundBarb IncGamers Member

Thanks! Good luck to you as well :wink3:
    About my sept, I have all the sets needed, but I want them to become P/Mat the same time, so I have 4/7 (Tal Rasha, Aldur, M'avina and Trang-Oul) of them at the start of NM, Natalya is currently at the start of Act V Normal, Griswold is lvl 1 and ImmortalKing is at the start of Hell. It's going to take a while before everyone of them is P/Mat, but they're really fun to play :thumbsup: I like the look of the completed sets, especially of Trang-Oul.

HHB

16. Stony

Stony IncGamers Member

My druid Mizor also used Aldur's set, but he was a Werebear, not a wolf, and I decided to go for as much Fireclaws as possible instead of trying to get a decent amount of damage out of that tiny little stick. My merc and Grizzly took care of fire immunes. It sounds like your build was more succesful than mine, but it doesn't make me want to try Aldur's again.

Stony

17. MukTuk

MukTuk IncGamers Member

Nicely done, looks like you had a lot of fun with this druid. One of the things I liked about the Fireclaws/Fury combo was just being able to slaughter (eventually) anything that was in your path, its great not having to rely on a merc or a hopelessly weak back-up attack.

Did your Oak Sage manage to survive often enough at that low of a level? I'd think that eventually you'd get sick of re-casting it all the time with how fragile it'd be.