Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Patriarch Dread_Champion, lvl 83 2-handed Fanatic Zealot, 100% CB & DS

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by BlizzBallerSorc, Sep 22, 2014.

1. BlizzBallerSorc

BlizzBallerSorc Diabloii.Net Member

No one knew the name of the Paladin that followed the Dark Wanderer. They just knew that the hordes of demons who plagued their villages began to retreat in fear wherever he went. And so it seemed appropriate that everyone called him the Dread Champion. It was almost as though the battle had been won before it even began.

But Nilson hadn’t been born with confidence. His paladin compatriots had actually begun calling him “Dread Champion” for a very different reason. Before any sort of battle—even friendly duels—the young warrior would break into a cold, nervous sweat. His anxiety would drive him to vomit, and he’d come out for battle pale and shaking. Yet somehow he drew power from his anxiety, and was always able to best any warrior in a head-to-head challenge. Eventually, Nilson outgrew his youthful anxiety as his strength and confidence grew, though none would ever call him arrogant or conceited.

Nilson stood in the Chaos Sanctuary, leaning casually on his sword. He looked down at it affectionately. It was a massive blade, forged many years ago, in a previous age when weapons were more powerful, carefully crafted with the runeword "Death". When Nilson had purchased the blade from a blacksmith and asked his assistance in installing the runes into its sockets, the artisan had shaken his head. “Waste of runes if you ask me. Sure, it’ll hurt, but it’ll be slow. You’d have to be Bul-Kathos to swing this blade more than once a week.” But the zealot had learned to swing it. Oh, he could swing it.

The Paladin tapped his foot impatiently, looking at the corpse of Lord De-Seis and his minions scattered about. The ground began to shake. It was about time. The Lord of Terror’s voice echoed through the sanctuary.

“Not even death can save you from me!”

Nilson looked down at the runes in his blade and began to shake with laughter.

The Concept
    In Rawness’s giveaway I received the following beautiful stick of hurtiness:
    [​IMG]
    Code:
    Death
    Colossus Sword
    HelElVexOrtGul
    One Hand Damage: 180 - 487
    Two Hand Damage: 422 - 839
    Durability: 26 of 26
    Required Level: 60
    Required Strength: 138
    Required Dexterity: 68
    Fingerprint: 0xa0e9dccf
    Item Level: **
    Version: Expansion 1.10+
    100% Chance to cast level 44 Chain Lightning when you Die
    25% Chance to cast level 18 Glacial Spike on attack
    Indestructible
    364% Enhanced Damage
    20% Bonus to Attack Rating
    +50 to Attack Rating
    Adds 1 - 50 Lightning Damage
    7% Mana stolen per hit
    50% Chance of Crushing Blow
    37% Deadly Strike (Based on Character Level)
    +1 to Light Radius
    Level 22 Blood Golem (13/15 Charges)
    Requirements -20%
    Ethereal
    I wanted to build a character around it. The only problem is it was a bit slow, and so the logical choice seemed to be a two-handed fanatic zealot. I looked in the Pat/Mat thread and saw that Zylo had done some similar characters, and PMed him regarding it. His advice was really helpful, so credit for any good parts of this build goes to him, and any shortcomings or oversights are my own!
    I had fun with the 100% DS on my melee sorc, so I thought it'd be fun to do 100% DS and CB with this build, and with Death it was easy (almost unavoidable, actually) to reach 100% on both.

The Character:
    Obligatory screenshot:
    Hanging out on the plateau.
    [​IMG]
    Bye bye Baal.
    [​IMG]

Damage with Zeal / Fanaticism: 13k-26k @ 5/5/5/5/10 fps attack (54k-108k dps) with 100% Crushing Blow

Gear
    Amulet: Highlord's Wrath
    Helm: Guillaume's Face, socketed with Jewel of Fervor
    Weapon: Death Colossus Sword
    Armor: Fortitude in Great Hauberk (+30 all resists)
    Belt: Nosferatu’s Coil
    Gloves: Laying of Hands
    Rings: Raven Frost + Rare Ring (7% life leech, 3% mana leech, +16 str, +15 lightning res, +13 fire res)
    Boots: Gore Rider
    On Switch: Call to Arms Crystal Sword (+6 BO), Sanctuary Dragon Shield
    Charms: Resists, AR

Skills - (hard points only)
    Sacrifice 20
    Zeal 20
    Blessed Aim 20
    Fanaticism 20
    Pre-reqs – 1 each
    1 point in Conviction and Vengeance
    6 unused

Attribute Points
    Strength: 105/154
    Dexterity: 47/70
    Vitality: 343/343
    Energy: 15/15
    Life: 2264 with CTA
    Attack Rating: 7792
    Resists: 75 Fire / 1 Cold / 80 Lightning / 1 Poison

This was the first time I’d gone minimal on the cold and poison, and though I was nervous about it, it worked fine. Ravenfrost dealt with the cold, and the poison was only dangerous when I was careless.

Relevant Breakpoints, Other Stats
    Deadly Strike: 100%
    Crushing Blow: 100%
    Faster Hit Recovery: 5 FPS / 48% breakpoint (Perhaps I should have tried to reach the 86% breakpoint, but it never seemed to be an issue, and so I didn’t really think about it.)
    Increased Attack Speed: 65 % for 5/5/5/5/10 Zeal speed, further IAS useless.

Merc – Ahsab, ct 2 NM Might Merc
    Helm: Kira’s Guardian
    Armor: Guardian Angel
    Weapon: Reaper’s Toll

I really enjoyed this merc. I could be wrong, but I don't believe I ever had to resurrect him. Kira’s + Guardian Angel was Zylo’s suggestion, and it worked well for this character, since I wanted the monsters to mob me a bit with Zeal leeching. My last character (melee enchantress) used Delirium on the merc, which was nice for safety, but would have probably been a bit annoying for this character.

Gameplay
    This guy was a blast to play. He was super fast, and actually very tanky without a shield. I only had three deaths, two for stupid reasons. The first was in Nightmare, to FE (I think) Madawc. This exact same scenario happened with several of my characters: first time fighting the Ancients in Nightmare and I’m tanking them without problem, full life bulb. Suddenly I’m instakilled by Madawc. I reload them, and beat them the second time easily, Madawc never really doing any damage. It’s this kind of death that makes me scared of HC. I had a lot of life at that point (all points I could spare in Vit, with Battle Orders), but this destroyed me even with full health.

The other two deaths were just stupidity on my part. In Hell, I was poisoned really badly and walking around and I thought I’d TP back to town and talk to Ormus instead of using a Rejuv potion. I was dawdling around picking up some loot before I went through the portal and not paying attention to the quick drain, and the poison killed me before I walked through the portal.

The last death was just running into what I thought was a normal pack of blood lords, but turned out to be a physical immune, lightning enchanted boss pack.

Speaking of Physical Immunes, I had a point in Vengeance and Conviction for this purpose, but it was often easier just to stick close to the Merc and let his decrepify break the immunity. There were a few physical immunes that he couldn’t break, and the vengeance brought them down pretty quickly.

I tried several other armor options. In NM I used Treachery, but when I got to Hell, I was too nervous about Fade not proccing often enough, and I threw on Chains of Honor for a while for the resists. I eventually switched to the gear above when the lure of more damage from Fortitude and LoH became too great, and I reached max IAS with Nosferatu’s Coil and a Fervor Jewel in Guillaume’s.

I know I said my last Paladin was a bit boring, but this guy was anything but. He had extremely quick game play. And he kills bosses like none other. I played on players 8 through NM, and then did most of Hell on players 4-8. When I got to Act 5, my wife was out that night, and the kids were in bed, so I switched to players 1 and went ahead and made Pat real quickly, but I’m going to give some players 8 Baal runs a go.
    Best finds were Laying of Hands, RazorSwitch, Naj's Circlet, Darksight, Trang-Oul's Scales, Moser's, Blade of Ali Baba, and Kelpie Snare. No notable runes, really - Hel @ Hell Hellforge, Io @ NM Forge.
    Lastly, many of the items I used in this build I received through giveaways and generous trades on this forum, so many thanks for these!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    Zylo and BobCox2 like this.
  2. EmperorMoo

EmperorMoo Diabloii.Net Member

That really is a particularly lovely hurty stick!

My obsession with spending ABSOLUTELY EVERY SKILL POINT compels me to ask if it's worth crawling up the defensive auras tree to get redemption?

3. BlizzBallerSorc

I was going to ask you guys what I should have used the spare points for. Actually, I would have bothered Zylo with this question if I hadn't been at home all weekend (no internet) since I'd been asking him about similar things, but I ended up just going ahead and making Pat before I figured out where to put the points.

I did think of Redemption, but it didn't seem necessary with all the leech. Although it could have at least saved me from that one poison death I described.

Also, I forgot to mention that this was my most buggy experience yet. Some of the quests didn't quite work. No reward for the Lam Esen quest, and I still have my Horadric Scrolls. They never disappeared.

4. uglyfred

uglyfred Diabloii.Net Member

congrats on the very fun build.

Very Rough Explanation:
    It's called the Fire Enchanted bug (FE bug, for short). Monsters that are Fire Enchanted have a very short range"aura" that basically deals their death explosion damage every ~second or so, and the damage amount is tied into the monsters amount of life. I don't remember if it bypasses resists, but iirc it does. In version 1.10 it was in all of Hell & Nightmare, but they fixed it in Hell in later versions - but they didn't fix it in NM (since most NM monsters don't have enough life to really be a serious threat to one-hit-KO you. The Ancients on /players8 in NM are one obvious exception.)

Keep your eyes open for the FE mod in NM and let your merc finish off those monsters and you'll be fine. The bug doesn't affect mercs.

Be careful with Extra-fast Lister. He and his pack can knock you silly without a shield. Otherwise I found it to be a great melee Baal runner build.

BlizzBallerSorc likes this.
  5. BlizzBallerSorc

I thought it might be the FE bug, but I searched around some and wasn't sure whether it was finally fixed in 1.13d. Thanks for clarifying!

I'll watch out for Lister and his boys and report how it goes!

BobCox2 likes this.
  6. Zenigma

Zenigma Diabloii.Net Member

That is quite a nice play. I've never considered using Death. I know it's strong and affordable, but I never really gave it a second though. That's probably because I always that that since it lacked ias, it wasn't worth the time. But hey, if you can hit a 5 fpa zeal in a two-handed weapon, who am I to say anything? Maybe I'll give Death a go sometime.

And I'm a fan of one point in charge to run through areas more quickly.

BobCox2 likes this.
  7. BobCox2

BobCox2 Diabloii.Net Member

Big fan of Charge same reason as well as the run up and first hit. 1 point it and check the damage.
    ! got one of these BTY in a Zerk axe
    :D
    Nice write up.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  8. BlizzBallerSorc

Thanks. Can't believe I didn't think of Charge, guys!

One thing that I forgot to mention about Death (that surprised me) was with the 5 fpa Zeal is that the Glacial Spike procs a lot, so enemies are frozen quite a bit, and adds a bit of safety when in the middle of a mob.

9. Cyrax

Cyrax Diabloii.Net Member

Sounds like a fun char. Congratz!

Poison doesn't kill you. It can get you down to 1 hp, but it stops there. Ofc if literally anything hits you when at 1 hp you're dead, so it's not very smart to do so. ;) Exception being a sorc with high lvl ES and DR/MDR. And even with that i don't feel too comfy doing that.

Merc is a different story btw. They can die by poison. Even when you're already in town on your way to the local healer.

10. BlizzBallerSorc

Ah, yeah I must have gotten hit by something then. I was running around in the Kurast Bazaar, so I'm sure a Hell Buzzard or something was pestering me.

11. Espr

Espr Diabloii.Net Member

I've long liked the Death RW, cool to see you make nice use of it. :)

12. maareek

maareek Diabloii.Net Member

Death, man that is a sweet runeword. Really enjoyed the one I used to have, and two-handed zealots are definitely the least awful of the pally zealots, so it feels like a really good job on the stylepoints to me. The play on "dread" was smirk-and-nod worthy, which I assume is a good thing.

Seems like others hit the big things, but in the way of a few comments: I would want to have both Vigor (for running in town) and Cleansing on any Paladin I made, which would make Redemption only a one point investment. I'm still not sure I'd spend a point on it, it only being good in strange corner cases, but if you approach it from the mindset I mentioned, it is cheap so meh. If I had points I really didn't know what to do with, I'd dump them in resist fire or lightning. And of course, Charge, as others mentioned. It's the only good thing about Paladins, or course you want it. ;p

For any PI it worked against I'd rather just switch to Sanctuary and keep Zealing instead of switch attacks. If the IAS loss is too rough against a hard hitting pack, just run behind the merc. Not only is he there as a good friend and stalwart aide, he's also demon food when need be! Granted, we may just be talking play style here, though.

For facing Lister: get out of range of Baal's Decrepify (this should be standard procedure for you versus all the waves, tanking your attack speed is the absolute opposite of good with a build like this; though it's not possible against wave 2, which is the actual hardest wave for this type of melee char in my opinion/experience) and then put yourself between Lister/his pack and an object. A pillar works, as do the little torch podiums. The stragglers should wrap around the side, pinning you in on all sides. It's not fool-proof, to be fair, but more often successful than not.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  13. BlizzBallerSorc

I thought you might appreciate my lame wordplay despite your general disapproval of pallies. :)

I did use Sanctuary a bit. I haven't gotten to try the p8 Baal run yet, but I will definitely try to get out of the way of the decrepify. I hate, hate it.

For wave 2 I've been in the habit of getting right where they spawn so they spawn on top of me and then just slow-mo zealing them. I can't quite figure out the range and onset of Baal's decrepify, but sometimes I feel I can sprint in and if I time it just right I can be free of it for a bit. I'll have to experiment some more.

Thanks for the other strategy tips--I'll certainly try those out!

14. maareek

maareek Diabloii.Net Member

Lame wordplay is among the best wordplay, I'll definitely agree with that.

Ideally what you want to do with wave 2 is put the merc at the base of the stairs, or even on the steps, while waiting for the wave to spawn then run back to where the guardians spawn. Again, not a surefire thing since sometimes Baal waits a bit and the merc has gotten close enough to you for Decrep to hit you both, or you run a little too far and trigger the merc's leash, but for the most part it at least gives you reprieve against the first casting.

15. Pyrotechnician

Pyrotechnician Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Great Pat,

I love the style of 100/100, I love the build, I love the runeword. I don't love the runeword base, colossus blades are much cooler. =P

Nice job.

16. BlizzBallerSorc

Thanks!
    My next build uses a Colossus Blade, so you'll be pleased. :)

17. SunsetVista

SunsetVista Diabloii.Net Member

Grats! Everyone has already said how sweet the gear is, so I'll just add that I really liked the intro/short little backstory you gave for the character.

"Not even death can save you from me" was great. =)

BobCox2 likes this.
  18. BlizzBallerSorc

Thanks! :)

One thing I like about this basic build is that it is (relatively) affordable even with the best choices. I can think of some slight improvements; of course you could go with something crazy like an ethereal BOTD in a 1.07 base for the weapon, or put some crazy charms in the inventory, but otherwise most changes would be only marginal improvements over what I used.

Even though I did receive the blade as a giveaway, it is fairly easy to make with LK runs (I picked up a Vex and Gul in the space of two nights last week), so I highly recommend it.

BobCox2 likes this.