Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Patriarch Dougal - Elemental Double Swing Barbarian

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by drmalawi, Feb 25, 2018.

1. drmalawi

drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

Short summary:
    Double swing barbarian with dual Gimmershreds and Trechery.

Weekend warrior (https://www.diabloii.net/forums/threads/weekend-warrior-tournament.960482/)

Theme/story:

The IK set gives huge amount of elemental damage, crushing blow and damage reduction. The main usage of the set is to use Whirlwind and apply all that joozy elemental and magic damage as well as the crushing blow in a rather quick manner. The armor is a very rare item and many players are still missing it (myself included).

My fav weapon on a conviction zealer is the gimmershred. Pretty fast attack and plenty of fire, cold and lightning damage, which is increased futher by the conviction aura (which also makes attack rating less important). I have had the idea to use gimmershreds and double swing as main combat skill for a while (these were the weapons I used for my first Pat double throw barb btw).

By reading about DiabloTwoinDC's post about his/hers Elemental barb in the Weekend Warrior thread, I thought that now the time is ready for me!

So there you have it, my version of poor man's IK barb!

-----------------------------------------

Pros:
    You attack really fast all the time, nothing is really immune to you. Double swing has only one syenergy - and if you can get AR elsewhere, you just need Double swing at level 8 to reduce mana cost and you can put 12 points into something else (Howl, Battle cry, shout or why not War cry?). You don't get the increased run/walk speed from frenzy so you have more controll here. I know that you can walk instead, like @Grape is doing here ;)

Cons:
    Low enhanced damage on the double swing skill. Low physical damage means not so good life leech and you "have to" rely on Life Tap. Short range on Gimmershred and you need 95% IAS off-gear to reach fastest breakpoint (see table below).

Comparison to the GimmerShred conviction zealer:
    You have to get that attack rating up since you don't have conviction (well, you can have it if you have an infinity merc), that is why I went with a Blessed Aim merc (holy freeze would have been safer, but not as fun). You can't block, so you need high life and damage reduction. You don't have conviction, at least not I didn't, but the double swing is easier to attack fast with compared to my old GimmerShred paladin. Zeal without Fanatiscm seems to have that problem - hard to get 4fpa zeals.

I got a nice level 3 lower resist wand from Baal a few months ago and tohugh that I could use it alot on this build. But ended up using Life tap charges instead due to the low physical damage and life steal.

Gear:
    Dual Gimmershreds (that's whats this char is about!)
    G-face with IAS and attack rating jewel.
    Laying of hands
    Ravenfrost
    Rare ring with AR, lightn res and life leech
    Gore riders
    Highlords amulet
    Threchery in Greak Hauberk (perfect for IAS and applying fast poision damage)

1 War cry skiller, Rest of charms where all res and small charms with lightning damage. Should probably have used vita charms, but damage is more fun!

Switch/buffs: Demon limb, teleport staff, life tap dagger, Lower res wand from Baal (level 3 lower resist).

Leveling gear: Normal - 6 sockted crystal sword with Ort's and 6 socketed crystal sword with Ral's.
    Nightmare - Aldurs maces with Ort's.

Merc: Act II blessed aim. Vamp gaze with Shael, E-bugged Diamond mail Threchery, Ethereal thresher Cresent moon (really underestimated weapon).

Stats:

AR (with blessed aim & demon limb charge) 9,5k

Damage (venom & demon limc charge) 1168 - 3584

Double physical damage chance: 72% (Critical strike 30%, Deadly strike 60%

Crushing blow: 50% (G-face, Gore Riders)

Defence: 3137

Damage reduction: 30% (String of ears, Fade from trechery)

Life Steal: 15% (String of ears, rare ring)

Resistances (without fade): Fire 75% (65%), Cold 68% (18%), Light 75% (62%), Poison 47% (-3%)

Skills: Double swing 20, Bash 20, Axe Mastery 20, all masteries 1 except Natural resistances which had 2, War cry skills: 1 Battle Cry, 1 Battle command, 20 Battle orders, 3 Shout (rest will go into here if I continue).

Life: 2838 (with BO)

Mana: 261 (with BO)

Attack speed breakpoints with Flying axes:
    (from Titan seal)

Code:
    IAS    attack speed [ticks]    attacks per second
    0      8     3.12
    5     7.5     3.33
    14     7    3.57
    26    6.5    3.84
    44    6    4.16
    72    5.5    4.54
    125    5    5

Noteable finds:
    Lum and Titans javelin from Nightmare Duriel.
    Jewel with 39% ED and 9 Strength. Curse GC skiller in Nightmare. Fal rune Hell HF Quest. Unique Kraken shell Leviathan in WSK (first one in SP for me yay). Lem rune from Lister pack.

Number of deaths: 2 (might aura cursed crushers in canyon of magi)(Misplacement caused instant death at the Ancients)

----------------------------------------
    Build variation:
    If you want more saftey, consider using Howl and/or War cry. Dual lawbringers on switch could be an option to fast decrepify a large group of monsters.

Future plans:
    Nothing with this dude, he is done! Well, perhaps if/when I make Infinity, he will have a second chance :)

I wanna try to whirlwind with dual gimmershreds for the perfect IK-"mimic". Also I wanna do a double swing barb that focuses on physical damage. I think my Oath Small crescent and Lacerator will be a good choice... or perhas dual crescent moon phase blades?

Thank you for reading this far.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    Annambru, Grape, T72on1 and 4 others like this.
  2. Kitteh

Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Not named after Dougal from Highlander, is he?

3. drmalawi

Yes! :D

Edit: No, Outlander :p

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  4. Kitteh

Kitteh Diabloii.Net Site Pal

Awwwww, well that is a good runner up at least. You're forgiven.

5. drmalawi

One of my first Barbs I ever made was named "Connor" though :D

Nowadays, I tend to give them Viking-style names. But have now changed again to make their names "scottish" :p

Kitteh likes this.
  6. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

Cool. Very well done.

I wouldn't consider a dual Crescent Moon PB build focusing on physical damage :).

7. drmalawi

You are probably right, would have to use something bigger than PB's, I was curious if the low ED on Crescent moon could be somewhat balanced with a high chance of casting static fields :)

8. T72on1

T72on1 Diabloii.Net Member

I'm not implying it wouldn't work. As a matter of fact, I think it would. I just wouldn't consider it a physical damage build :).

drmalawi likes this.
  9. maxicek

maxicek Moderator Single Player

Congratulations, nice to see an old school, not Uber powered level of build. Great write up too.

Although I am considering giving you an infraction for excessive use of bagpipe music :D

DiabloTwoinDC, ffs, Kitteh and 3 others like this.
  10. TedDeeBoy

TedDeeBoy Diabloii.Net Member

Congrats, enjoyed your write up. Gimmershred can produce very interesting build options, and great use of double swing. I think Sir Poops did a Gimmershred throw paladin several years ago which was a fun read also

drmalawi likes this.
  11. drmalawi

Yeah I think I read about that Throwadin! I have a plan of making one of those too, a throw/smiter hybrid :)

12. Grape

Grape Diabloii.Net Member

Nice pat! Good to see Gimmershred getting some love.

I'm doing something similar at the moment for my sixth Zod God char, but focusing adding as much cold dmg as possible :p

13. drmalawi

Sounds cool! I was thinking about some kind of Freezing Conviction Zealot with frostwind or Nords tenderizer (I still not have one of those with Freeze target +4 though)

Grape likes this.