Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Patriarch Daph, Bul-Kathos Frenzier

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Colorless Green, May 17, 2008.

1. Colorless Green

Colorless Green IncGamers Member

Patriarch Daph, Bul-Kathos Frenzier

Annnnnd, here's #3 of my class-specific octumvirate. This is the first time I've ever used frenzy, and I'm quite impressed.

Patriarch Daph, Level 86 Bul-Kathos Frenzy Barbarian

Str: 107 (167)
    Dex: 108 (124)
    Vit: 300 (300)
    Ene: 10 (10)

Life (with BO): 3400
    Mana (with BO): 299
    Resists (Hell): 75/75/80/85
    Damage (with might, not counting +200% to undead/+550% to demons): 1753-2745/1091-3264
    AR: 9141

Skills:
    Frenzy: 20(26)
    Berserk: 1(7)
    Leap Attack: 1(7)
    Sword Mastery: 20(26)
    Taunt: 20(26)
    Battle Orders: 20(26)
    All pre-reqs/one point wonders: 1(7)

Equip:
    Andariel's Visage (IAS jewel)
    Fortitude Archon Plate
    Laying of Hands
    Nosferatu's Coil
    Gore Rider
    Highlord's Wrath
    Raven Frost
    Bone Whorl (+4 min/+4 res all/+21 CR/6% LL/6% ML)
    Primary: Bul-Kathos' Tribal Guardian (Shael)
    Secondary: Bul-Kathos' Sacred Charge (Hel)
    Switch: dual echoing javs
    Might Merc: Reapers, ebug Treachery, Vampire Gaze

So, as I said, I like frenzy. It's a lot like playing a fanatic zealot with berserk and level 30something BO. I played from creation through a3 hell on p8, and then dropped to p3 (where I stayed for the rest of the game) because I'd already hit my usual maximum level for novelty chars, and I'd reached the point where things had enough life that it was getting boring, particularly PI mana-draining things.

At no point over the course of the game was I particularly in danger. Deaths only happened from me being lazy and not berserking around OKs. Ancients were a joke - I namelocked one, which apparently was the toughest of the three because the other two died off the backswings before that one went down. My life never dropped even slightly. Baal and minions were similarly simple. There was no running around and optimizing the location for the battle or anything, I just tanked it all. Also, thanks to a truly impressive collection of OKs (backed up by gloams and serpents in the throne), my merc died enough that I ran out of money and so had to do minions/baal solo. Didn't matter.

The #1 objection I see to the BK set any time anyone writes about it is the knockback. I, however, had no such troubles, and I even somewhat liked having it around. I put the knockback sword in the secondary hand, so any time there was more than one monster around, if I namelocked one, only the other monsters would get pushed back, while the one I was trying to kill died promptly. If there was only one monster, I was moving so fast from frenzy that I basically didn't break stride when they were knocked back.

All that being said, I'd never recommend the BK set to anyone who didn't want to do it just to have done it. I'm pretty sure I could shop a pair of better weapons pretty quickly, let alone using RWs or something. But, I'm one of the people who wanted to do it just to have done it. And I did. And I'll never touch that set again. I do plan on making another frenzier at some point using real weapons, which I expect will be extremely buff. I'm also tempted to make a frenzier with max increased speed loaded up with FRW just to see if I can break something.

Hellforges gave um/ko, and a4 hell provided a tal's armor and an alma negra (roughly my 20th of each, meh). All in all, this was far more entertaining than my last class-specific set char. Next up in class-specific-land is a trang's venomancer.

-CG

edit: incidentally, he's named after Daffy Duck, which was the first thing to come to mind when I was trying to think up frenzy-related names.

2. smilts

smilts IncGamers Member

Re: Patriarch Daph, Bul-Kathos Frenzier

Nice build conrats on the Pat

3. Gambitsreturn

Gambitsreturn IncGamers Member

Sweet build, looks like it was fun. Good luck with the next one.

4. maxgerin

maxgerin IncGamers Member

Gratz on the Pat! :thumbsup:

I don't remember having any problem with the Knockback either.
    But my main concern was it's low damage.
    Coupled with the Disciple Set, I couldn't find any way to boost my damage since almost all the item slots are taken.

And as you said, it's more of a novelty build.

--maxgerin