Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Patriarch Corvus_Corax (faithful, teleporting hunter-summoner druid)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by bcoe, Nov 15, 2009.

1. bcoe

bcoe IncGamers Member

Patriarch Corvus_Corax (faithful, teleporting hunter-summoner druid)

Patriarch Corvus_Corax

So his name changed from Accipter_Gentilis (Northern Goshawk) to Corvus_Corax (Common Raven), after some ribbing from Liquid_Evil about my penchant for tal-sorcs. Corvus is a cooler name, don’t know why it didn’t occur to me. I guess I was trying to pick a bird name that was a “hunter.”

Anyways, so this is a single-tree summoner druid with a rocking bow. A traditional hunter, I guess, with ridiculously over-powered gear.

STATS:
    Name: Corvus_Corax
    Level: 80
    Strength: 69 (160)
    Dexterity: 141 (146)
    Vitality: 265 (270)
    Energy: 20 (45)

Life: 1542 (after BO)
    Mana: 685 (after BO)

Skills (after + skills and BO):
    Summoning Tree:
    Ravens: 9 (30)
    Poison Creeper: 20 (41)
    Grizzly: 20 (41)
    Dire Wolves: 20 (41)
    Heart of the Wolverine: 20 (41)
    Spirit wolves: 1 (22)
    Oak Sage: 1 (22)
    Carrion Vine: 1 (22)

Elemental/Shape Shifting: None

Damage/AR:
    Normal Attack: 1000-2478
    AR: 5761
    Screenshot of LCS: http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/2900/cclcs.jpg

Thoughts on Skills:

A few points into Poison Creeper made a big difference in early normal. I max’d it in the end, and really like him, but ended up using carrion vine more often in dangerous parts of hell. Similarly, I used dire wolves mostly in Normal and Nightmare, and they were great, but they died too easily in Hell, and I mostly used grizzly there.

Overall, he was kind of slow up until level 42 when he put on Jalal's and all the skillers. He also equipped a Harmony bow, and everything was suddenly super-fast. The Valk from Harmony was a nice additional minion.

Equipment:
    Head: Jalal’s Mane (Um)
    Amulet: Mara’s Kaleidoscope (29)
    Armor: BP Enigma
    Weapon: Faith Ward Bow (+2 skills, lvl 14 Fanaticism)
    Belt: Arachnids (used razortail until 80)
    Shield: N/A
    Gloves: Magefists
    Rings: 2x SOJ
    Feet: Aldurs
    Weapon Switch: CtA/Spirit. I used HotO/Spirit until my meager life amounts just got too dangerous.

Some choice gear readouts:
    Code:
    Faith
    Ward Bow
    'OhmJahLemEld'
    Two-Hand Damage: 86 to 227
    Required Dexterity: 146
    Required Strength: 72
    Required Level: 65
    Bow Class - Normal Attack Speed
    Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
    Item Level: 85
    Fingerprint: 0xf93efe17
    +330% Enhanced Damage
    All Resistances +15
    +120 fire damage
    75% Extra Gold from Monsters
    Ignore Target Defense
    300% Bonus to Attack Rating
    75% Damage to Undead
    +50 to Attack Rating against Undead
    +2 to All Skill Levels
    Level 14 Fanaticism Aura When Equipped
    10% Reanimate As: Returned
    Socketed (4: 4 used)

Enigma
    Breast Plate
    'JahIthBer'
    Defense: 836
    Durability: 49 of 50
    Required Strength: 30
    Required Level: 65
    Item Level: 52
    Fingerprint: 0x3a795b20
    +769 Defense
    Damage Reduced by 8%
    Increase Maximum Life 5%
    +14 Life after each Kill
    45% Faster Run/Walk
    +1 to Teleport
    15% Damage Taken Goes to Mana
    +2 to All Skill Levels
    +0 to Strength (Based on Character Level)
    1% Better Chance of Getting Magic Items (Based on Character Level)
    Socketed (3: 3 used)

The Reaper's Toll
    Thresher
    Two-Hand Damage: 66 to 776
    Durability: 33 of 33
    Required Dexterity: 79
    Required Strength: 104
    Required Level: 75
    Polearm Class - Very Fast Attack Speed
    Item Level: 99
    Fingerprint: 0x74af6ed9
    +268% Enhanced Damage
    Adds 4-44 cold damage over 0 seconds
    15% Life stolen per hit
    Requirements -25%
    Ignore Target Defense
    33% Deadly Strike
    33% Chance to cast Level 1 Decrepify on striking
    Ethereal (Cannot be Repaired), Socketed (1: 1 used)

Charms:
    8 Trainers skillers
    Various small charms resists

Resists: 71/59/59/59 on CTA/Spirit switch (for teleporting), 75/39/39/39 on Faith switch

Merc: Might with Eth Reapers Toll (ruby jewel)/Dusk Shroud Fortitude/Guillaume’s Face (Ruby jewel)

Merc Damage: 1431-10218 (!)

Screenshot at level 80: http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/3125/ccmerc.jpg

Previous to level 75, he used an eth Obedience thresher and got even sillier damage numbers.

Screenshot at level 59 (right after he put on his Fort): http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/8448/ccmerclvl59.jpg (not bad for a mid-NM merc, huh?). At level 65, after Corvus could equip the Faith, Ahsab's damage max was ~12600.

Finds:
    Hellforge: Fal/Fal
    Not much else worth remembering.

Thoughts:

This was a ton of fun, and a nice change of pace for me. I have played some over-powered necro summoners a bunch, but I haven’t played a druid summoner for years. A level 41 Grizzly, with might, fanaticism, and HoW buffing him is a force to behold. He was one-hit-killing most of his victims even into late hell.

I used this druid pet calculator: http://tph.tuwien.ac.at/~gottwald/druid_pet_calculator.html

These are the stats it provided for my Grizz:

HP: 8014
    Attack rating: 24802
    Damage: 10126-10469
    FpA: 9 (normal) 13 (smite)
    Hit recovery: 10
    Resists: 85
    Regen: 244.5
    DPS: 10020.5

I never saw his life bar get below ~80% unless he was IM’d. An absolute beast. All I had to do was sit back and watch him plow through monsters. Of course, he had a henchman in Ahsab, who was doing comparable damage and was spreading Decrepify all around him. The two of them were unstoppable.

Faith worked great as a source of fanaticism, but it felt like my damage contribution was pretty trivial. I didn’t notice a huge difference in killspeed between me just sitting back and admiring the minions versus me plunking away with my 12 FpA normal attack. Still, I was happy with my 1-2k “normal” attack, and it was certainly fun sniping out the dangerous shamans or OKs.

For OKs, I’d just teleport on top of them and either Ahsab or Grizz would kill them immediately. They got IM’d a couple of times, but it wasn’t too bad.

I had a bunch of deaths due to over-aggressive play. If I just stayed back and watched, I was safe as can be. But teleporting into the middle of dangerous packs was a bad idea. I needed a good bit more life, FCR, and FHR to make that a viable move…

Great fun, but I think I’ll retire him for now. I highly recommend a summoning druid, at least to watch a ridiculously strong bear chew his way through any opponent.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  2. BabyLink

BabyLink IncGamers Member

Re: Patriarch Corvus_Corax (faithful, teleporting hunter-summoner druid)

It's about normal that you didn't any serious threats with that godly gear :wink:

Anyway congrats on the Pat!

3. Liquid_Evil

Liquid_Evil IncGamers Member

Masterfully done hero! (And I totally dig the name ;))

The Raven might be common but a lot of that gear isn't; I would probably like Hunters better if I had a bow like yours :p. Still, beefed up Grizzlies are definitely the cat's meow as far as Druid minions go. Your trip through the game sounded pretty fun, so maybe with the "bcoe stamp of approval" assigned to this lesser-played subclass, we'll see an influx of Hunters around these parts. Regardless, congrats on the pat and I look forward to your next one. (A Tal's sorc in all likelihood)

4. bcoe

bcoe IncGamers Member

Honestly, the power of this build didn't come from the Faith or the Enigma. The key for an effective summoner-hunter is really just a bunch of + skills and a Reapers, I think. The enigma is far, far less useful than it is with a necro summoner, since you are really only working with one (or 3) very powerful summons, rather than an army. The fun of the Druids' summons is that you can "combat cast" at will and reposition them without the need of a corpse or teleport.

The enigma and faith could be swapped for a CoH (or Arkaines/SotVM/etc) and a Harmony, and I think it would be 95% as effective.

Even if you don't use a bow, I'd strongly suggest building a druid summoner, just to use the grizzly. Its like a Valkyrie on steroids. I'm thinking of building another with similar gear but dropping the points in PC and ravens and putting them in the Wearbear tree. With Maul and Shockwave, I think it would be just as fast a killer as Corvus, but much safer, and the red bulb would be a lot bigger...

5. sirpoopsalot

sirpoopsalot IncGamers Member

Interesting point. With my Hunter/Summoner that used DireWolves, I found that teleport (from Naj's Puzzler) had a very big effect on my power/speed. I would estimate I was ~2-3 times faster when spamming teleport so I could minion-stack. So I guess the quantity of minions does have a pretty big effect in this context, and I can see how your statement about the necro would be dead-on.

Also fyi, my druid's 1-4k bow-attack was noticeable/decent, which seems different than what you observed. That's probably because I didn't concentrate damage onto one or two targets as often (because of Dire Wolves spreading out), and of course I wore a Fortitude instead of Enigma.

Nice writeup & congrats.

6. bcoe

bcoe IncGamers Member

I think that for Dires instead of Grizz, the teleport would make a more favorable difference. I really pretty much stopped using Dires once I started hell.

Another thing that I should have mentioned about teleport - it has the unfortunate effect of bringing my spirit and vine right up to the middle of the action, and (particularly if it was an opponent with a strong area-of-effect elemental attack), they always dropped fast. I found it better to cast the grizz where I wanted him, and to let the spirit/vine/ravens spread out and stay out of the fray.

Not to say I didn't enjoy the Enigma for him. It makes annoying maps irrelevant, it is great for a lagging merc, the strength/MF bonii are awesome, etc. Just using the tele for combat bunching wasn't all that great for him.

That is completely the opposite of my experience with Necros - where bunching a mass of skellies provides exponentially improved kill-speed and makes a "boring" build a ton of fun.

7. purplelocust

purplelocust IncGamers Member

Nicely done! A druid summoner is on my (long) list of things I'd like to have a go at at some point. I have been impressed with Grizzlies without nearly as much investment, so I'm not surprised that yours was so strong.

8. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

'Grats! That looks like one mighty Grizzly.

My apologies for drooling over your hax gear.

9. Raskah

Raskah IncGamers Member

Congratulations! Nice character and ever nicer gear!! *drool*