Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Patriarch Bill

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Thirty-Thirty, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Thirty-Thirty

Thirty-Thirty Diabloii.Net Member

Patriarch Bill

Ahoy,

Why the name Bill? I like aliteration (even though I'm sure that's not how you spell it). On the one hand, Bill is a Barbarian, but then again, William is a Werewolf! :uhhuh:

Earlier today, I beat Baal with my Wolfbarb, who is arguably the most fun of my characters. His stats are:

Bill
    Level 84 Wolfbarb
    Str: 110 (173)
    Dex: 70 (126)
    Vit: 325 (340)
    NRG: 10 (20)

After warcries and shifting...

Life: 5050
    Mana: ~300
    Def: 14k
    Resists: 75/75/75/53

Skills:

20 Battle Orders
    20 Polearm Mastery
    20 Shout
    20 Iron Skin
    5 Natural Resistance
    1 War Cry
    1 Battle Cry (those 2 on Gohanman's suggestion)
    1 into prereqs and stuff

IIRC, his Wolfhowl is 5/4/4 for Lycanthropy/Werewolf/Feral Rage.

Gear:

Tomb Reaver
    Que-Hagan's Wisdom (Arkaine's at 85... thanks Masas!)
    Wolfhowl
    IK Gloves, Belt, Boots
    Ravenfrost
    Mara's Kaleidoscope
    Manald Heal
    Arioc's Needle (+4 skills) on switch for warcries and wolf skills

Merc: Act II Offensive
    Bonehew
    Godly Kraken Shell
    Tal Rasha's Horadric Crest

I think its worthwile for me to say quite a bit about this little fella'. Normal was alright, but NM was painful. There aren't many decent polearms for beating the game with a normal attack until Bonehew at Level 64. I hit slayer at 35. More players was just too slow. I then more or less ran through nightmare, up until Eldritch, who I reached at something silly like Level 47. I then milked Eldritch for XP using Athena's Wrath, all the way up to 64.

I walked into Hell at 66, and then did my now well-practised technique of running through the game. I got into Kurast at level 68. At this point, I MPed with two friends: a Lightning Sorc and a Wind Druid. That session got me to the River of Flame WP, and level 75, which meant I could equip The Reaper's Toll. From there, I killed Diablo, and started milking Eldritch again. At 79, I popped on my Wolfhowl, and the fun began...

As you've probably noticed: this guy has ten tons of life. He simply will not die unless you get hit by a unique rolling cursed+fanatic+extra strong+critical strike, or something. Also, Feral Rage gave around 40% life steal, so I was practically immortal against anything that could be leeched.

Also, he is a bundle of fun. I have Feral Rage on right-mouse, so I just click and hold. This practise got me into a lot of trouble, which I always managed to survive. Amazing!

However, this character does not do a great load of damage. I was getting ~1000-4000, which doesn't look bad on paper, but I need to throw some IAS jewels into that Tomb Reaver. This could probably have been sidestepped by choosing a different weapon. I chose mine because I simple love the chance to reanimate on the Reaver. I'd guess a better choice might be an upgraded Ribcracker. As it so happen's, the Reaper's Toll also worked very effectively. And if you get the strength for it, the IK Maul would probably work, presuming you use the other bits (though maybe not the armour). Other standard two-hander's might also work.

Unfortunately, the guide presumes a one-handed weapon, so I didn't find any serious consideration. Either way, the Tomb Reaver certainly works, but you have to wait until 84, and I think there may be some better choices out there. As for getting to level 79: it takes patience if you can't be rushed. Even if you can, its a bit cheesy. Just hammer on through. It isn't slow because you're vulnerable: BO prevents that. Its slow because of the very low damage and attack speed. Dealing with this is just a trial before a great reward, IMHO.

This is my first Barbarian, and means I've now done five of the seven classes. My Aldur's Fireclaws bear is at the Crystalline Passage, and I think my Martial Arts 'sin is at the Far Oasis. Hopefully I'll finish the d|2øød by the weekend.

The guide doesn't talk about PvM too much, so if you're wondering about aspects of building a Wolfbarb in SP, you're more than welcome to ask.

30-30

Edit:

I neglected to comment on the last few fights.

Strangely, the Ancients were a walk in the park. I beat them in under 10 minutes, having used only 2 healing potions. Lister was unbeatable: he spawned Extra Strong Stone Skin. I couldn't do damage faster than he recovered life, so I had to park him.

Baal himself also took freaking ages. At one point, I switch to a Hone Sundan just to knock off some health with crushing blow. Eventually I killed him, and was rewarded by...

A rare hydra edge. Doesn't matter. The Hellforge dropped a Gul! :clap:

2. aman

aman Assassin Moderator

Congrats on the pat :thumbsup:

This got me thinking i had a wolfbarb on the realms he used a one hand weap + shield and his damage was way lower than yours , i might give it a try as i got a wolfhowl sitting on a mule.

Aman

3. corax

corax Diabloii.Net Member

congrats! this is one of my next builds(sledges too). although mine is still a wee baby. i'm going the one handed route which although a terrible way to go with high life characters, you will get block interrupted more than hit recovery interrupted due to your high life.

4. EnerSense

EnerSense Diabloii.Net Member

Congrats on your Pat! :thumbsup: Don't know much about melee characters but that one looks fun to play!

5. Humphrey

Humphrey Diabloii.Net Member

Congrats! Like the Bill/William thing.

6. Thirty-Thirty

I thought it worth mentioning, but I felt bad about having parked Lister, so I did an almost Baal run. The main thing I noticed was that this little fellow does do quite a bit of damage. Eldritch's minions were going down in 5-6 hits, and most monsters in the WSK weren't lasting more than a few hits. I'm not sure about this, but the initial Feral Rage hit is at a normal speed. However, if that hit is successful, the next one is faster (although subsquent successive hits don't cause further increases - it'll stay at a constant, but faster, rate).

I guess I must have left the game on 3 or 5 players without noticing. Ignore what I said about the low damage: its just fine...

7. Hrus

Hrus Diabloii.Net Member

Well, my Wolfbarb uses Ribcracker and he was able to kill Ancients in a minute or so - maybe decent CB and DS (from Goreriders and Highlord's Wrath) is better than your choices?
    Anyway why do you use Manald's Heal? - That does nothing but ML and you don't need that (If you are not lazy to hit a mana potion sometimes)

PLZ, write down damage and what did you socket into Tomb Reaver? I am interested...

8. Thirty-Thirty

Firstly, I don't have an upgraded Ribcracker, which I agree would be the best choice for the build. Secondly, I love the 10% reanimate on the Tomb Reaver. I was also trying to get the Wolf skills as high as possible: hence Mara's rather than Highlord's. I may well change the boots if I play with him often enough. In short: yes, your setup should be more effective.
    I guess I don't have anything else that I need to put there for the time being. And I am fairly lazy, especially with this character. It might be fun to use a Wisp Projector. Then the build could be called a Wannabe-Druid!
    After the Might Aura, Feral rage does very close to 1000-4000 damage. The Tomb Reaver has 277% ED, which is 124-565, IIRC. The sockets are still empty. At some point I will go on a trading binge for ED/IAS jewels. I'd like 3 for the Reaver, and my Avenger still needs one too for the last IAS breakpoint he'll reach.

9. Hrus

Hrus Diabloii.Net Member

I don' like empty sockets, now I am playing WW barb using Tomb Reaver. I socketed it with something useful, but easily unsocketable - SHAEL and 2x 30%+ ED jewels. You could throw shaels there to get faster attack IMHO. When you get your 3x 40ED/15IAS jewels, you can unsocket and throw them in the beast.
    BTW - you were right - there are simply no good and fast mid-game polearms. My WW barb went from lvl 25 to 59 with Hwanin's Bill.