Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Patriarch BhutJolokia, Fire Druid (...and we're back) ifra

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Colorless Green, May 4, 2008.

1. Colorless Green

Colorless Green IncGamers Member

Patriarch BhutJolokia, Fire Druid (...and we're back)

So, I've finally gotten through with moving and getting internet and everything. Surprise, surprise, I've been sucked back into D2 after a ~4 month hiatus, as those of you who frequent the hell baals may be aware. I got myself re-interested via one of my favorite things to do in the game, unconventional builds, so I hereby present...

Patriarch BhutJolokia, Level 82 Fire Elementalist Druid

Str: 136 (156)
    Dex: 30 (45)
    Vit: 314 (356)
    Ene: 20 (55)

Life (with BO and OS): 2617
    Mana (with BO): 919
    Resists (Hell): 75/75/75/75
    Firestorm Damage (per LCS): 5494-6078
    Fissure Damage (per LCS): 3745-3914
    Molten Boulder Damage (per skill tree): 1260-1395 phys/1135-1257 fire
    Volcano Damage (per skill tree): 877-884 phys/954-1046 fire

Skills:
    Firestorm: 20 (40)
    Molten Boulder: 20 (40)
    Fissure: 20 (40)
    Volcano: 20 (40)
    Twister: 1 (20)
    Raven: 1 (20)
    Spirit Wolf: 1 (13)
    Dire Wolf: 1 (13)
    Grizzly: 1 (13)
    Oak Sage: 1 (13)
    Unspent: 5

Equip:
    Ravenlore (Fire Facet)
    Mara's Kaliedoscope
    Skin of the Vipermagi (Um)
    Magefist
    Arachnid Mesh
    Sandstorm Trek
    Stone of Jordan
    Stone of Jordan
    Heart of the Oak
    Spirit
    CtA/Spirit on switch

This char is quite strong against anything that isn't fire immune. Fissure and firestorm were definitely my main attacks - fissure decimates crowds and firestorm is excellent for stragglers/bosses. Non-FI hell ancients went from full health to dead within a couple seconds of firestorm (as did baal). The first four waves of baal's minions went down like they do against a blizzsorc, but the tedium that was lister's pack more than made up for it. FI's are really annoying, not because they're particularly dangerous (I had no deaths that weren't easily avoidable carelessness, such as stopping to rearrange my pack in the middle of combat), but because they're tedious. Molten boulder can consistantly take down a single FI with two or three casts, but it's really difficult to hit more than one or two at a time because of how slow it rolls, and the fact that the knockback angle screws up multiple hits if you move after casting it. Volcano was also good against individual FI's when they were willing to stand still fighting with a grizzly or merc. Fortunately, I only encountered one PI/FI (a blood lord boss in A4hell), which I took down out of spite over the course of maybe 15 minutes with my ~20 damage twister and the ~15 cold damage from vampire gaze on my merc. I could see this being a relatively commonplace character if it weren't for the fact that FI's are everywhere.

So anyways, yeah, I'm back. Not entirely sure what I'm going to do next, though the RoF superchests are quite intriguing, so I'll probably spend some time there. We'll see.

Yay, diablo.
    -CG

2. omgwtfbbqpwned

omgwtfbbqpwned IncGamers Member

Re: Patriarch BhutJolokia, Fire Druid (...and we're back)

Yey Diablo indeed.

Congrats on the pat, and welcome back. :smiley:

I could have sworn Twister is 100% physical, though.

[edit] @fb:
    Oh, there we go.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  3. friedbananazzzz

friedbananazzzz IncGamers Member

Congrats, glad to see you back :grin:

It is. He had ~20 physical damage from the twisters, and cold damage from the merc's Gaze. The twisters wouldn't have damaged him, but would have kept him stunned so the merc could do his thing.

Should have had Reaper's on him... What was the merc and his gear?

4. NagisaFurukawa

NagisaFurukawa IncGamers Member

Grats, CG. Unconventional builds are always more fun. =).

Just looking at your vitals and damage... I'd say this build was pretty overpowered. But then, there's that gear... *indiscernible mumbling*

5. Colorless Green

Colorless Green IncGamers Member

Merc was HF using insight, gaze, and shaftstop or something. I had originally planned to switch him over to a reapers, but I never got around to it. It's also rare that I take a merc through hell without switching out shaftstop. I'm not too anal about full clears or killing everything I come across, so I was planning on just parking any PI/FI's I encountered, but as it turns out there was only one. No big deal. Were I to do something besides quest with the char, and PI/FI was remotely a possibility, I'd switch him over to might/reaper's, but oh well. Apart from the single PI/FI, every other PI I encountered died instantly to fissure/firestorm, and the FI's I physical'd to death would have been helped by the decrep for sure, they were generally being moved rapidly around the screen by molten boulders, so the merc wasn't often able to actually connect. It would be most helpful against "large" (boulder knockback-proof) FI's, but there's suprisingly few of those, and the ones that there are are prone to just standing toe-to-toe with a grizzly while I open up volcanos.

Long story short, yes, reapers is definitely advisable, but I was too lazy.

-CG

edit: @Nagisa: yeah. Expensive build, and I doubt it would be anywhere near as viable with cheaper gear. The -res from ravenlore was extremely helpful (btw, ugliest helm evar), and having all my attack skills at 40 is always fun. Bear in mind, btw, that the effective damage is significantly higher than LCS would lead one to believe. Firestorm LCS damage is per stream, and pretty much any time I was casting it I was hitting with all three. Fissure behaves almost identically to blizzard from what I observed (i.e. a lot more than one hit), and it took down hell non-immunes almost as quickly. Considering how long it would take me to bring down generic moderate-difficulty FI's, with only +10 to skills or something from budget gear, I would probably tear my hair out in boredom.

edit2: heh, yeah, I had actually forgotten twister was physical, but I would have spammed it for the stun even had I known - that's why I got the skill in the first place (I find it cruel that every fire spell is timered). I namelocked, held down the mouse button, and watched TV for a long time. Wish I'd had PMH, that would have helped.

6. pharaoh

pharaoh IncGamers Member

Congrats on the pat. It's interesting to see less-common builds. :)
    Yeah, my trick in situations like this, where killing something means ten minutes of spamming, with zero actual danger, is to namelock, hold down the mouse button, unplug the mouse, release the mouse button, and then wait. This way, D2 never gets the 'mouse button released' message, and it's like you're holding it down. You can go make some coffee or something, and come back to find the fight still going on, or the baddie dead. Of course, I'm on a laptop, so the USB receiver for my mouse is easy to reach.

7. erimatbrad

erimatbrad IncGamers Member

It's "relatively" viable with cheap gear; I have one in TWD4 that's just 3 acts from Guardian, and I'm currently only packing +5 skills. It involves using my lifetap wand more than I think should be necessary (I'm eventually going to find one with LR charges) to take care of FIs. The rare PI/FI I've just been parking.

Once I've finished the tournament, I can see switching out gear to top out the +skills, and then just using it for pit runs (the only FIs being Infidels, which I've been easily able to volcano/boulder to death).

All in all, I think it's a really fun build, if a bit untraditional.