Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Patriach Apollo, the Holy Ranger

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by VoX Dei, Nov 7, 2010.

1. VoX Dei

VoX Dei IncGamers Member

Patriach Apollo, the Holy Ranger

Patriarch Apollo, lvl 84 Holy Ranger

The Sun god Apollo, patron of archery among many other activities, becomes my 70-something Patriarch. Fittingly, Apollo is a dexterity based Holy Fire/Shock Ranger.

The initial plan was to use a Faith Cold Rogue + Neith’s Faceted Kuko. This setup would have required 40% ias (LoH + Highlord’s) for 9 fpa, the fastest attack speed a Paladin can get with a bow. However, after experiencing some issues keeping my Faith Rogue safe from harm, I had to rethink my options. Orion, the Blessed Ranger, would lay a field of Hammers and outrun enemies using Vigor. Neith, the Bow Enchantress, would Teleport to reposition at safe distance and cast Glacial Spike to slow her enemies. Apollo had none of these options. All he had was 50% frw (no Vigor since skill points were needed elsewhere), and a 83% piercing attack (which hardly qualifies as a mob disposer in most circumstances). Anyway, after giving it some thought, as Apollo advanced through the game, I’ve decided to rehire a Holy Freeze Town Guard, and change some gears which resulted in settling with a 10 frames attack. Incredible how much easier things get when you have a tanking mercenary! I ended up liking Apollo better than Orion or Neith.

Disliked: Andy requiring clvl 83 to be equipped. Painful…

Liked: Two powerful elemental attacks and no mana required, ever. Pretty cool.

Stats

83% Pierce
    75% IAS => 10 fpa
    50% FRW
    27% FHR => 6 fph

Skills

Offensive Auras:

20 Holy Fire, Holy Shock
    1 Might, Holy Freeze

Defensive Auras:

20 Resist Fire, Resist Lightning
    13+ Salvation

Equipment

Upped Kuko Shakaku (Shael)
    Andariel’s Visage 10/30 (27 Fire res/15 ias)
    ‘CoH’ Wyrmhide
    Upped Razortail
    LoH
    Natalya’s Soul 25/24
    Mara’s 30%
    Raven Frost 20/240
    Bul-Kathos 5%
    ‘CtA’ War Scepter & ‘Spirit’ Sacred Targe on switch
    Charms: focus on Off. Auras (8 x Captain’s) and mending holes left by gear (resists, life, ar, fhr)
    Demonlimb in stash

Mercenary: Leharas, Holy Freeze Town Guard

Guillaume’s Face (Um)
    eBugged ‘Treachery’ Great Hauberk
    ethereal Reaper (Amn)

5 fpa Jab/ 9 fph

Thanks for reading,
    VoX Dei

2. purplelocust

purplelocust IncGamers Member

Re: Patriach Apollo, the Holy Ranger

Nicely done! What did you do before being able to wear the Andy's hat? Did you think about Widowmaker (perhaps on switch) or Demon Machine? Widowmaker solves AR problems nicely but loses the splash damage. Is the AR in your LCS including that from a Demon Limb enchant?

3. Arkardo

Arkardo IncGamers Member

Hey, nice character! Don't really have much to say, except that he's stylish!

4. Kitriara

Kitriara IncGamers Member

Congrats! Making a ranger is never easy due to the AR problems. Thats some nice damage!

What did you find was the most difficult section of the game?

5. VoX Dei

VoX Dei IncGamers Member

Thanks for the grats guys.

Right before equipping Andy, Apollo was using a Marshall's circlet of the Lamprey socketed with 2 plain ias jewels. This was the hat I had planed to for him to finish the game with, but those extra 5% ias on Andy were actually needed after dropping the Faith rogue.

Nope. Not on this guy. I started working Holy Fire first and naturally I wanted him to be able to cause splash damage. Hence, bow progression was pretty linear: Raven > Kuko > Upped Kuko. I also wanted the +1 skills from CtA switch (not to mention the nice life boost), so Widowmaker switch was never really considered. I might consider using Widowmaker with a different character though. It is a very interesting bow! Demon Machine was not used simply because it's not a bow. I only wanted this character using bows.

Yes, it is. He had no trouble hitting things, but the final AR number is somewhat disappointing. Considering he's got 450+ dex, I expected to see some better AR.

Tight dungeon-type areas and frenzytaur populated areas were somewhat problematic with the rogue hireling. Other than that, I don't think there was one harder area in particular. This is a very capable character. Even more, after rehiring a Town Guard and equipping the Reaper's.

6. Greebo

Greebo IncGamers Member

That's an interesting character.

Question: does the splash damage from Kuko spread only the fire damage, or lightning damage too?

It's a decent AR in the end, but I can see how it was annoyingly low with dexapally. Did you have any %AR at all? Why didn't you use a blessed aim moron? Was the HF needed?

Congrats!
    --Greebo

7. purplelocust

purplelocust IncGamers Member

I wasn't sure but it did seem like AR should be somewhat higher than that with the dex investment. I guess with a Faith rogue (or BA town guard) that would help alot.

@Greebo: there is no splash damage from lightning or cold or poison- just fire damage. I've tried (not expecting it to work) in both Classic and LoD. The splash fire damage can come from the bow, charms, skills, or enchant but no other elements get carried by the explosions.

8. Doctor Clock

Doctor Clock IncGamers Member

A Paladin with an ugly mask and a bow...I like it. And you even used one of the good mercs this time. Congrats!

9. VoX Dei

VoX Dei IncGamers Member

Thanks for the comments/grats guys.

What purplelocust said.

There was the 200%+ bonus to AR from Demonlimb. Despite the final AR number being below expectations, chance to hit was actually pretty good. That's one reason why the merc is not Blessed Aim. Another reason is the safety added by Holy Freeze's slowing effect, and yet another reason is that with a HF merc all 3 elemental auras ended-up being part of this build.