Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Path of Exile vs. Diablo 3: Mega-Comparison List

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by Flux, Aug 3, 2015.

1. Flux

Flux Administrator

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    D3 vs. PoE: Conclusion.

]Gaming blog Requnix.com has posted a massive graphic with a point by point comparison between Path of Exile and Diablo 3. The author has been adding to the chart for a few months, including more and more content and updating it as the games are patched, so it's comprehensive and fairly up to date.

The chart ranks/compares virtually every aspect of the games, including:
    • Content: Storyline, Environment, Housing, etc.
    • Mechanics and Gameplay: Skills, death system, difficulty, learning curve, etc.
    • Economy: Trading, crafting, items, etc.
    • Community: Social, clans, parties, etc.
    • Technical: Graphics, sound, interface, bugs, etc.

I sniped out just the conclusion above for a sample image, but definitely look over the whole chart and see what you think. I'm very up for arguing some of the individual category scores in comments, and I bet some of you guys are also.

So what do we think of the Path of Exile vs. Diablo 3: Mega-Comparison List, ranking PoE well ahead in the total points? I'm not here as a D3 fanboy to argue the points, though if someone wants to do that in comments, go for it. Back in 2010 I was lucky enough to be one of the first people ever to see and get some hands on time with PoE, playing their earliest demo on Chris' laptop right in their SF hotel room when GGG was on their first ever media tour. So while I don't currently play PoE and I prefer D3, I know a lot of players who like both games.

If I have a major critique of the entire chart, it's that every category gets the same 1-5 points. That's handy for the comparison, but it's not realistic in terms of what makes a game really worth playing. Imagine an ARPG with an amazing combat engine and great skills and characters and monsters, but with terrible housing/stash space, no achievements, and no social or clan support. Would you play that? I bet you would, and I bet most of you did, since that's Diablo 2. Consider the converse; would anyone play a no-story, almost no-action game just because it had infinite housing and stash space? I'd say no, but someone would probably make a MineCraft joke.

You see my point, though. Some comparison categories should be worth much more than just 5 points, since those are essential to a playable game, while a lot of other categories are just a nice side touch. And I think D3 does very well on most of the essential categories, while there's definitely room for D3 improvement in terms of housing, clans, varied events, etc.
    Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2015
  2. algopeal

algopeal IncGamers Member

I have played both, for me, PoE has all this wonderful 'variety' and 'choise' but this HUGE passive tree is mostly +10 stat or something relatively mundane. It's great for a free game, because, it's free, it has given me a few handful of hours enjoyment, and there are some really great ideas with how you can modify skills, that's pretty much the coolest thing in PoE... but if you're fighting a crab, a human or some kind of weird thing, it's just kinda samey, I have no feel of actual difference within combat, it just feels like a wire skeleton that has a different skin attached, and I can feel that it is the same wire skeleton I'm fighting, just with a different look.

In my mind, there is no comparison, D3 is the better game, and it kinda has to be, beings as it is what it is, and blizzard like to do things right. Sure you can argue this or that, but when you need to satisfy 10+ million people, you ideal is gonna be different to one of the other 10 million.

Saying this, there is no need for a comparison, as they're different games, if you have D3, then great, you don't need to pay any more money! But like I said, IMO, D3 > PoE.

P.S It would be cool to integrate some of the cooler features in PoE with D3 to make something possibly more special than D3. But then again, I'm not a developer or anything like that, so perhaps having such intricate features might have an impact on the game, which IMO, is what PoE has suffered and which is why it's lesser to D3.

3. T2000

T2000 IncGamers Member

But categories have weights. :(
    Anyway i didn't see point clash two games head to head. If it's two different good games, i'm OK with that.

4. Destrachan

Destrachan IncGamers Member

**This post is pretty Off-Topic**

Requnix.com, amazing. I knew the name looked familiar, after going to the site and checking who wrote it a whole host of memories came flooding back. Anyone else remember David Allen's company Artifact Entertainment and the mmorpg Horizons: Empires of Istaria?

5. DaveTheBrave

DaveTheBrave IncGamers Member

"[D3] doesn't have any features that emphasize hardcore play (except for hardcore mode)"

6. DaveTheBrave

DaveTheBrave IncGamers Member

I'll give this article a meh. He contradicts himself on several occasions, and while it's clear he plays PoE, I'm seriously wondering if the same is true about d3. Who the hell calls the legendaries color "dark gold"?

7. Dirgecaller

Dirgecaller IncGamers Member

PoE's combat just doesn't hold a candle to D3's in my humble opinion. I played PoE thru the first difficulty. I couldn't bring myself to play further than that. The tree is overwhelming and you can get completely lost in it. Remember screwing up your D2 character cuz you didn't know what was what or how to optimize a build? PoE passive tree is that times 1000.

PoE was fun for being free. Quite good really. But you won't find me playing seasons there and starting from scratch. It really does come down to the feeling of the combat. D3's is so very smooth and feels really good. PoE's simply feels awkward. I wouldn't say it "sucks" it is simply odd.

Race's were by far the most interesting thing I tried in PoE. I never got to the map end game system as the game just didn't hold my attention that long.

8. Dirgecaller

Dirgecaller IncGamers Member

sigh...how did some of you get line returns??? come on Flux, get this fixed already. Chrome on a Mac.

9. Flux

Flux Administrator

I don't want to sound like I'm bashing on POE or whatever, but I thought the rating for monsters was ridiculous. As you say, PoE has mostly humanoid enemies with different skins. Reasonable as that's their game world and they had very limited budget for artists and animators and such, but the incredible variety of monster types in D3 really stands out to me. And how well they are all animated, with such different motion types based realistically on their body types.

It's obscured in D3 since you kill everything .5 seconds after it appears in vast hordes, but I often wonder how D3 would look/feel if they made a first person version, with 1/10th as many enemies and much longer battles.

10. Flux

Flux Administrator

I laughed. Also, the fact that PoE's hardcore isn't actually hardcore, since when they die the chars just become softcore. (Admittedly, a fate worse than death.)

On the overall points, if you look at features D3 doesn't that PoE does, it always seems to be a 0 or 1 for D3 vs. 4 or 5 for PoE. Housing, events, currency, etc. Whereas features that D3 has that PoE doesn't, like followers, D3 gets a 3 and PoE gets a 1. Obviously PoE does better on events and housing (stash space) but unless PoE's system is the ideal best possible ever for X, it shouldn't get a 5, and those category scores seem designed to boost PoE's overall tally.

11. algopeal

algopeal IncGamers Member

I agree, I really enjoy the battles you have early on in the game, untwinked, where they're not too long, but there is some meat to them, and decisions don't have to be made within the millisecond otherwise you're dead.

But on topic, you can't really say PoE is better than D3, that's just fanboy, or lack-there-of, much like the whole ps vs xbox fiasco that goes on forever.

On a side note, i liked the idea that Torchlight 2 had with the whole map thing where mobs would have certain aspects and you would gain some sort of bonus. But again, TL2 was good, but something just didn't hold me, like Diablo does. Blizzard make good games. Despite those eyes. Which I haven't seen a pic of in ages, maybe get some in before blizzcon?
    In reality, from someone who is neutral - D3 would be voted better. End of.

12. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

Overall I prefer D3. I recently played PoE again for quite a few hours, but I couldn't stick to it. Forcing me through the game three times just to get to the interesting part gets old really fast. While the passive skill maze looks cool in practice it's merely a classic skill tree in disguise. Even worse in some ways, since it only has about a dozen interesting stuff on it, the rest are boring stat bonuses and it also decreases class diversity to a significant degree, since classes only differ in starting position, but that's only a skill point difference of about 10. The exorbitant amount of trash that drops is just ridiculous, essentially forcing players to use items filters or drown under useless items. Oh and sure, every item can be changed to whatever you want it to be, but since if you don't start with a really good one (or even if you do in the endgame) it will cost you tons of materials to make it good, which kind of defeats the purpose of their crafting system. You don't farm for good items, you farm for tons of crafting materials. Yay, what an improvement. All it really did to me was put it into concrete numbers how much I have to farm still, which was often disheartening. I also dislike the D2-like difficulty on Merciless, where 95% of times you are bored to tears, then suddenly you get a Unique monsters that instakills you. That s*** should have died with D2. Others already mentioned the general combat, which just feels more fluid (I really can't find a better word for it) in D3. What I really like in PoE though is the general atmosphere of the areas and the great music that has rhythm. Overall though, it feels like a game from a previous era, one that caters more to our sense of nostalgia more than anything else.

13. HardRock

HardRock IncGamers Member

Oh, I also think PoE's skill gem system is brilliant, as it allows for some really cool skill combinations. I'm not too keen on the gems being item themselves, but the way we can mix and match them is great nonetheless. It instantly reminded me of FF7's Materia system, which was also one of the best skill systems in the JRPGs I played so far.

14. Silverfang

Silverfang IncGamers Member

Do you want more popcorn? We have all kinds of flavors. Even salty!

15. Silverfang

"[...] but unless PoE's system is the ideal best possible ever for X, it shouldn't get a 5, [...]"

How do you want to quantify anything, when taking possibly better solutions in the future into account? Ain't the bar normally on what has been done in the past? And if a game exceeds what has already been done in the genre, it usually receives top marks, while bringing something in that hadn't been done yet raises the bar genrewide, if it's not even giving birth to a whole new genre of games. (Like Diablo gave birth to the arpg genre?)

Followers, for example, had been a feature of many arpgs before in many different variations :) Take a look at 'Legend - Hand of God' for a quite exotic, though well done example here...). And D3s solution hasn't really risen out of the already existing bunch.

By the way: Hardcore gamer and casual gamer vs. hardcore and softcore mode? On good days, you wouldn't only have gotten the jab, but would have made it yourself, Flux... Being occupied with something we might be interested in? ;)

16. Silverfang

Down in the comments he explains that he's delaying updating the comparison to PoE 2.0, because he's actually waiting for the d3 patch to come out....

17. PrvtPiLe

PrvtPiLe IncGamers Member

Well, if there's anything to counter the PoE-bias of the referenced article it's posting about it on a D3-focussed forum.

PoE clearly destroys D3 on a variety of features, and D3 clearly destroys PoE in some others. Ideally a mix of the positives of both games would be the greatest ARPG of all time.

For my 2 cents, I'm recently getting back into PoE, and it's physically painful to me to see so many great decisions and well-thought-out ideas be implemented in that game, and then compare it to many of the debacles of D3. If you don't recognize that D3 is a game that's still effectively in Beta (being rebuilt with the expansion and not yet finished) then I'm sorry but you're blinded by your bias. BUT, the fact that D3 is still fun despite this shows how flawless and smooth the gameplay mechanics of D3 are (as others have pointed to).

18. PrvtPiLe

Often times when you need to cater to a greater number of people, the game actually suffers for it. You fall victim to what is known as Lowest Common Denominator. IMO, this is clearly evident in D3. Fun game though.

19. Silverfang

Halve offtopic: Ever played Dwarf Fortress? A fun game to take your time diging into, ain't it? Has consumed quite a few thousand hours of ingame time from me... (The comparison distinguished hardcore and casual gamer as target audiences for a reason, I'd say. Centered on an arpg genre perspective, nonetheless...)

20. PrvtPiLe

PoE also came out with an expansion recently that improved on a lot of their prior negatives.