Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Patch variability vs Stash size

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by In the name of Zod, Apr 26, 2015.

1. In the name of Zod

In the name of Zod IncGamers Member

My argument is thus. The larger the stash we get the harder is becomes to rotate the roster with each patch as to what becomes the new whiz bang. Why? Because players will store everything they get and ultimately many of us would enjoy having items that where once useless but now nuke everything.

I'm not going to go into which items are cool from old patches because if D2 was anything to go by farming out old gear from previous patches was generally frowned upon.

If we get mega storage, even +50% of what we currently enjoy people will have gear that can make them too unusual or just do things that you're clearly not meant to. There are already amulets that grant immunity to elements, these are unfortunate imo since it leaves Blizzard with the need to create new ways that make the game hard which can make us cry foul when this happens. What we do now, one would like to hope will matter further down the line.

The only other option is to make it so that legendary item effects can be altered with patches. :\

My point is, if stashes are too large it will result in the options for the game to change less with each patch. Good or bad? Do you believe this?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  2. Interdasting

Interdasting IncGamers Member

I don't think so. I believe the majority of players aren't saving their items and salvage what they consider not within their goals. The issue here is knowing exactly how many players do this, since your argument assumes everyone, or a majority, does indeed do this.

Of course the top players always save potential items, but I highly doubt the casual majority even consider that option given how little they play per week/how they view the game vs. top players (Fun vs. competition).

And if the affixes on legendaries, such as the useless amulets you mention, are necessary or nearly-mandatory for progression, affixes can be swapped. I don't see the issue in changing affixes so long as it isn't retroactive (so that players with the item aren't screwed, and those wanting will not have the new affix items on launch).

Blizzard always is asked the question: Will the item change be retroactive? I don't know how they decide this, but because they are so flip-floppy on the issue, I don't think they believe that this is an issue given how many items have been retroactively changed. Especially with sets this patch.

So ultimately, I believe that more space is welcome, but I think a challenge is necessary to open this space. It shouldn't be gated by gold, which isn't really a gate anymore at all. No matter the patch I myself typically salvage most "imba" items that become the new FotW, so I don't feel that more space devalues the gear farm. I have other thoughts on that subject...

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  3. In the name of Zod

Well, hmm. I think its more about the experience in the way the game is played. 'Potential' items are items that could be good in the future [patches] or with more thought applied to their usefulness today. Correct me if I'm wrong there. This isn't what I meant though. My angle is more about having a [much] larger shared stash people would store roughly the same percentage they currently do and thus increase the odds that items that potentially negatively affect the experience that blizzard want to create would be stored. Multiply the increase in stash size by the current player base = odds of negatively affected experience.

The result could, and I emphasize could result in more hotfixing, less variations in future content patches, more exploits etc. I think it would be most likely more of this would happen with a larger shared stash. At course they could just remove those items that they don't like forcefully too.

I most certainly do believe we need a larger stash for storing different character (str, dex, int) gear. I think its too small for this atm. Maybe a non-shared stash tab? For the record, I dislike any retroactive changes, including set item changes. I know I've kind of bait 'n switched here by trying to move the issue to shared stash vs non-shared, its just come to mind that's all. Maybe that needs to be explored more, first.

I certainly agree that gold should not be used for purchasing of more storage, I know they are currently looking at $$$ :(.

4. Interdasting

Yeah but there isn't much you can do about hoarders vs. non-hoarders (Not elite vs. casual though, because I've seen both types of each group). Ultimately it's about the large majority of players and how they use the stash that will affect the size; it's why people hated stash size pre-RoS and there were still some complaints pre-2.1.

And for potential items...well, so what? It's really just how they play. I don't quite see the issue considering Seasons, and for non-seasons the leaderboards are earned through attrition anyways. Unless there's some other issue like your moral stance, but that's more of an opinionated argument than an outright argument for the betterment of gameplay.

At the current moment hotfixes are applied to old items and how they interact with new items (Death's Bargain anybody?). There hasn't really been a patch where they screwed something up majorly with an old item, unless the change is retroactive, and even then it's essentially a new item. Bugs occur, and there isn't much one can do except fix them when they arise in PTR or Live. But to limit something important like stash size for a hypothetical situation of hotfixing is an overreaction in my eyes.

I liked the Torchlight II (Made by ex-Blizz North employees if I recall correctly) method of having a personal stash and shared stash. Of course I'd prefer more than one tab each.

I'd be fine with $$ storage honestly. We have so much room now it doesn't matter. The main issue is the abominable gear fest this game has become, stimulating even more discussion over stash space. I mean, 81 hours into the season and I've already filled 2 and a half stash tabs. I've geared my Sader with full Roland as well. Found 6 Ice Climbers, 2 Furnace, 5 Frostburn, 5 gifts, 2 Ancestors' Grace. Like what?!
    Now that is nonsense. It took 300+ hours in 2.0 for me to get full Akkhan, but now full Wastes is 20-40 hours. It's just crazy.

Sorry for the segue by the way hehe...

5. In the name of Zod

Interesting, cause your on PC I'm on PS4 and we're getting nowhere near the kind of drops you guys are reporting. Its the same ole same ole on PS4. Also I get the option of creating another account and using the mail system to move items between accounts if I wish so I guess our needs are different there. Anyhow, it would be interesting to see how it would be implemented if they do increase stash size in the future.

6. Interdasting

That's really the reason why I'm about to pop out the ps3 again. :p

7. phezzik

phezzik IncGamers Member

There's a huge need for more stash space, especially for HC players. It's fantastic that we have actual viable options for different specs on all classes now, but there's no way to work on gearing more than one or two different classes at a time. This defeats the entire purpose of seasons, to me. There are several ways around this, including a direct increase in stash space, increasing character limits so that we can basically make characters that are wardrobe dolls for the different specs one is collecting gear for, giving the option of setting gear preferences for loot so one can farm for a specific class while on their main, and I'm sure there are lots of other great suggestions and ideas floating around out there. If the claim about stash space being a hardware burden is legitimate, being able to set loot preferences really addresses that problem well, I think.

8. Flux

Flux Administrator

The OP's argument I don't think holds up, since that's about items that are OP, and players will obviously save the very top stuff. There's plenty of room in the stash for essentials. No one's throwing out BiS roll immunity amulets because they don't have room.

The size complaints are that there's not enough room for varied gear and options, especially for HC players who need spare gear and backup stuff.