passion necro

buckbuck

Diabloii.Net Member
I will gladly take chaos knight. In true tank fassion i would use life tap and even being hosed by diablo wont kill u if you zeal using life tap. Im gonna rant on life tap cause i love this skill. 50% life leech is insane. Plus, correct me if im wrong here, i think it lets u bypass leech penalties allowing u to always leech 50%. Its the second best leech in the game, after hunger, but you dont take a damage penalty. Its crazy good. With passion its even better cause of the really fast zeal attack. So on my "chaos knight" (thanks thrandir) even if monsters bypass your bone armor and max block they wouldnt be able to hurt u anyways. ahhhh so good. Of course blind and terror are problems, but in crowds i generally use decrepify anyways unless against a lot of casters and or bosses.

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
lol, tank-o-mancer? Maybe Metalmancer? Maybe you could be the Chaos Knight, I kinda like Necrozealot...

I deal with the bosses differently. With Andy, Duriel and Meph (and Baal, normal) I just cursed and hit, with diablo (normal) I bought a wand with +2 bonespear and took him out with that (I'm most at home with a bonemancer, anyways) and in nightmare I snuck around and drew his fire away from my skellies while they did the job for me. So yeah, I guess I wasn't zealing much against Diablo...but then...you know what happens when you zeal against Diablo...

*Necro begins the first hit of a lvl5 zeal*
*Diablo whips out a Pink Lightning of Death*
*Necro dies after fifth hit*
If you stand on Diablo's toes in Nightmare and Hell, his Lightning Hose will pass right over your head.

I will gladly take chaos knight. In true tank fassion i would use life tap and even being hosed by diablo wont kill u if you zeal using life tap. Im gonna rant on life tap cause i love this skill. 50% life leech is insane. Plus, correct me if im wrong here, i think it lets u bypass leech penalties allowing u to always leech 50%. Its the second best leech in the game, after hunger, but you dont take a damage penalty. Its crazy good. With passion its even better cause of the really fast zeal attack. So on my "chaos knight" (thanks thrandir) even if monsters bypass your bone armor and max block they wouldnt be able to hurt u anyways. ahhhh so good. Of course blind and terror are problems, but in crowds i generally use decrepify anyways unless against a lot of casters and or bosses.
Actually, in order to get more leech with Hunger than with Lifetap, you'd need 200% leech (thanks to the damage penalty), or a whopping *600%* in Hell (thanks to the difficulty penalties), whereas the diminishing returns start to really kick in at 170%. So lifetap will always leech more than Hunger (even against monsters with no leech resistance. Of course, Hunger also leeches mana, too.

The only skill that'll really get higher values of leech than Lifetap is a high-level Feral Rage, which suffers no damage penalty and which will get up to 168% at slvl 40. Even accounting for difficulty penalties, Feral will be better than Lifetap, although Lifetap will still win out against monsters with leech penalties (such as megademons and skeletons). Unless, of course, you factor in Feral's damage bonus into the equation- in that case, Feral will almost always win, except for unleechables.

Darker Realm

Diabloii.Net Member
I've used two handed sword necromancers before. Reminds me of the Reanimated Horde or King Leoric from D1, which both use two-handers, except alive and cooler-looking. Try walking with a two-hander and try casting Bone Armor or a curse.

Darker Realm

Diabloii.Net Member
A tank-o-mancer, would have the 20-20 Bone Wall and Prison synergy but also would invest 20 in Bone Armor. A true tank-o-mancer would be like the template necromancer I mentioned minus the golem branch (minus 20 on Fire Golem). More combat oriented than the other necromancers.

Thrandir

Diabloii.Net Member
Lol...you guys are inspiring me to continue my meleemancer (tank-o-mancer, I guess), Sephiroth. He uses that exact build, 20 in all boneshield synergies. I guess lifetap is a curse that I've neglected for far too long. I always figured: increase the damage, then you get more leech and kill faster. But, if lifetap is that great, imma go for it. Say, is Lifetap worth maxing? Or does plus-to-skill give you all you need?

SSoG

Diabloii.Net Member
A tank-o-mancer, would have the 20-20 Bone Wall and Prison synergy but also would invest 20 in Bone Armor. A true tank-o-mancer would be like the template necromancer I mentioned minus the golem branch (minus 20 on Fire Golem). More combat oriented than the other necromancers.
I have a Tankomancer that doesn't even use Bone Armor. His main attack is a slvl 20 Poison Dagger (0 synergy points- he pairs it with an upgraded Heart Carver and only uses it for the AR bonus and prevent monster heal aspect). He also has a 10-point Corpse Explosion. He has 4 hard points in Clay Golem, 1 in Golem Mastery, and 1 in Summon Resist, and he keeps a +3 summoning wand/head combo on switch to call up a slvl 10 Gumby (51% slows target). Outside of those 37 skill points, everything else to this point has gone into the Curse tree. I have 1 point in all curses, maxed Dim Vision, maxed Decrep, and the rest (10 points) in Attract. I also have a Holy Freeze merc.

I know it doesn't sound like much of a tank, but he really is. You see, he has maxed resists (actually, thanks to his TGod's and Hotspurs, he has 90% Fire and 85% Lightning resist), as well as about 80 PDR. He maxed Decrep to get its duration up, and he makes sure to cast it on all enemies he's facing (dimming the rest, if he needs to). Between the Slows Target from Gumby, the Holy Freeze from the merc, and the Slow from Decrep, monsters move at a glacial speed. Also, since Decrep cuts physical damage by 50%, the 80 PDR will completely negate any attack that deals less than 160 physical damage (which is most attacks, even in Hell). The result is a ton of ridiculously weak attacks delivered at a ridiculously slow speed, which makes my Necro quite the tank.

Darker Realm

Diabloii.Net Member
Lol...you guys are inspiring me to continue my meleemancer (tank-o-mancer, I guess), Sephiroth. He uses that exact build, 20 in all boneshield synergies. I guess lifetap is a curse that I've neglected for far too long. I always figured: increase the damage, then you get more leech and kill faster. But, if lifetap is that great, imma go for it. Say, is Lifetap worth maxing? Or does plus-to-skill give you all you need?
You don't have to max Lifetap to get a good radius and duration. I personally don't use it because it gets me killed all the time when I do try to tank monsters with it. So for me it was just the dilemma of putting 1 point in it or not. Decrep works a lot better, and in combination with Bone Wall / Bone Prison, I could handle almost any situation. Amp Damage is like my Life Tap because I wear Nosferatu's Coil and/or Blood Rings on some of my Necromancers and when I am able to both leech and bring monsters down quickly that keeps me safer than Life Tap itself. But it's still useful if used sparingly for Zealing bosses, because they can't be blinded.

I usually use Amp Damage and only when really pushed I use Decrep, and only in last ditch situations do I use Bone Prison. If you're relying soley to not make yourself stronger but rather make the monsters so incredibly weak so you could tank, I don't think it is as fun as making yourself strong and taking the challenge with monsters at their full glory.

Mad Mantis

D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator
Say, is Lifetap worth maxing? Or does plus-to-skill give you all you need?
My Meleemancer does well with 1 point and +skills. It is one of the first skills I take when I hit Act II since it allows me to tank those irritating beetles really easily.