Parental detention

Parental detention

http://www.wgal.com/news/9979629/detail.html

School is giving the parents of k-8 students detention for not getting them to school on time.

I don't think I would participate in this if my school did it. Yes the parents should get their kids to school on time, but what could they possibly do to me to make me actually go? Keep my kid? I'd like to see them try. Punish my kid? I'd wouldn't allow him to do the punishment.

Seriously, this is ****ed up. Not just the school either, but the parents who are willing to do it.

My kid is late so you want to detain me agaisnt my will and likely cause me to lose my job? How about I kick your arse and run your naked body up the flag pole upside down?

School officials are fascists. Treat them accordingly.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Presumably the parents are willing to do this, because what is the school going to do if they refuse?

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
How could anyone think this was a good idea? Even more, how did anyone ever think they could pull this off? People have lives. Sometimes lives make people late. Making them stay 20 minutes after class is so incredibly ridiculous that I actually laughed out loud.

myleftfoot

Diabloii.Net Member
{KOW}Spazed said:
http://www.wgal.com/news/9979629/detail.html

School is giving the parents of k-8 students detention for not getting them to school on time.

I don't think I would participate in this if my school did it. Yes the parents should get their kids to school on time, but what could they possibly do to me to make me actually go? Keep my kid? I'd like to see them try. Punish my kid? I'd wouldn't allow him to do the punishment.

Seriously, this is ****ed up. Not just the school either, but the parents who are willing to do it.
The parents I'm sure have nothing better to do and enjoy being able to complain about such nonsense, while at the same time teaching a retarded lesson to the children. Any individual with a thought in their head would laugh in their faces.

caddad

Diabloii.Net Member
I think the goal of this stunt was to get people concerned about parents bringing their kids in late to school since it's a problem lots of schools face.

Seems to me it worked as intended.

-D2netDad

HAMC8112

Diabloii.Net Member
dondrei said:
Presumably the parents are willing to do this, because what is the school going to do if they refuse?
Then the grandparents will get detention!

Justinthedeparted

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm having trouble believing that anyone would really go. Being honest, getting one of those slips would just invoke a massive amount of profanity at the school official with the guts to hand it to me.

I have a life, and sometimes being late for a few things happens.

alexzed

Diabloii.Net Member
Justinthedeparted said:
Being honest, getting one of those slips would just invoke a massive amount of profanity at the school official with the guts to hand it to me.
Then I would suggest the idea behind all this - being that it is a good model to show kids how important being on time is - is completely lost on you.

PatMaGroin

Diabloii.Net Member
alexzed said:
Then I would suggest the idea behind all this - being that it is a good model to show kids how important being on time is - is completely lost on you.
If I couldn't find my keys, and my kid was 5 minutes late as a result, they will have a hard time making me 20 minutes late for work.

alexzed

Diabloii.Net Member
I think there's too much analysis here. Obviously they cannot force a person to stay. So they're doing it to show the kids that parents can't be late and not get a punishment as a result. I think it's a great way to lead by example. It's quite clear that children are more likely to follow in their parents footsteps, and this is a great way to help the parents teach their children the valuable lesson of being on time for things.

SaroDarksbane

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
alexzed said:
So they're doing it to show the kids that parents can't be late and not get a punishment as a result.
And I would refuse, to show my children that life happens, and that you don't always have to do what the ***hole in the suit tells you too.

HAMC8112

Diabloii.Net Member
SaroDarksbane said:
And I would refuse, to show my children that life happens, and that you don't always have to do what the ***hole in the suit tells you too.
You are starting to sound like me man, maybe thats why i like you.

alexzed

Diabloii.Net Member
SaroDarksbane said:
LOL! Nice!!!! That's an awesome lesson!! I can't believe I didn't think of it. Guess being a teacher for a few years kinda set me on tilt there...

SaroDarksbane

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
D2netDad said:
Yes, because the person in the suit is always an ***hole.
If he's telling me to sit in detention because my kid was late for school, he's an ***hole.

Furthermore, what lesson are you teaching your kids about being late when it makes you late for work too because you spent 20 minutes in detention? That two wrongs make a right? That when you make a mistake, you should waste time for no good reason, instead of trying to get back on track?

alexzed

Diabloii.Net Member
SaroDarksbane said:
Furthermore, what lesson are you teaching your kids about being late when it makes you late for work too because you spent 20 minutes in detention? That two wrongs make a right? That when you make a mistake, you should waste time for no good reason, instead of trying to get back on track?
Because it shows your child the valuable lesson that being late carries a consequence. If I show up 20min late for work, citing child and school issues, I expect that my boss understand 100%. If I have an important meeting or demo - that's different. But every other day - I'd quit in a second if I got any idea that work should be more important than my child's education and well-being.

SaroDarksbane

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
alexzed said:
Because it shows your child the valuable lesson that being late carries a consequence. If I show up 20min late for work, citing child and school issues, I expect that my boss understand 100%.
Sounds like a serious consequence there. :rolleyes: