Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Parent body-slams ref at high school basketball game

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Intolerance, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Intolerance

Intolerance IncGamers Member

Parent body-slams ref at high school basketball game

Source

2. Lone_C

Lone_C IncGamers Member

Thankfully it didn't result in death as the kids' hockey game a few years ago did, but this still goes to show you, parents need to take sports less seriously.

3. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

See what this Al Franken phenomena has brought us? Soon everyone will be body slammed.

I found it kinda funny that kids from the suburbs have to be kept separated and/or excluded from sporting events. Especially with school names like Deer Lakes and Hampton. Sounds like a couple of real tough schools. So much angst, so much Abercrombie and Fitch, something has got to give.

4. Yavanna

Yavanna IncGamers Member

Is it possible to renounce my species?

If I ever have kids, and they get into sports, and they ask, "Mom, why don't you ever come to my games?", I will tell them, "It's not because I don't love you or I don't care how you do. It's because I'm afraid I'll kill somebody."

5. xXxDraGoNxXx1123

xXxDraGoNxXx1123 IncGamers Member

Bleh! If this had been a hockey game, I would have made some lame joke like "he shoots he scores!" but as it is now, I'm all out of ideas. :lol:

Some people seem to have a severe issue with knowing what is actually important at their kids games. I see it all the time and it is disturbing seeing a grown man/woman act like a friggin 12 year old.

Edit: Erm... act that is... not at.

6. nnndave

nnndave IncGamers Member

Almost every basketball game I went to in highschool ended in a brawl on the court at the end, with 4 guys getting hauled away in cuffs. My school banned bleacher creachers cause they used to talk so much ****.

7. gismo

gismo IncGamers Member

Yeah this is a trend that is starting to really suck. Good that no one got killed this time like the hockey incident a while back. :rant: But it sucks that places are now starting to ban spectators completely because of this.

The joys of my major are going to make me deal with things like this within my career. :(

8. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

Parents these days...

9. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

I kinda like this trend. Bodyslamming is one of the safest forms of physical assault possible. If you just have to show somebody who's boss, at least be conscientious about it.

10. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

Try telling that to the ref who got hospitalized.

11. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

Concussion is pretty mild compared to the results of most acts of rage. Besides, learn to take a fall. Who the hell hits their head while getting dropped on their back?

12. Koko Puff

Koko Puff IncGamers Member

If you fall backwards your neck usually swings and strikes the ground hard. Especially if somoene is slamming you to the hardwood floor of a gym. It will probably even bounce a couple times if you slam someone down hard enough. Either way your acting as if a concussion is ok and body slamming is alright.

13. IDupedInMyPants

IDupedInMyPants Banned

Not that it's ok, but I'd rather have grown up around bodyslammings than stabbings and shootings. If I had to pick between getting bodyslammed or being gang-beaten with baseball bats I wouldn't have to think long.

I guess I'm looking at the silver lining. Our idea of assault seems to be getting less and less brutal. Instead of having to fend off a jihad or something, we just have to put up with a few Hulk Hogan impressions.

14. Croup

Croup IncGamers Member

As a former ref of kids' soccer games, I've had to throw parents off of the field for things like this. Some of them act so amazingly stupid.

15. piff

piff IncGamers Member

Grr...if it would only say which school the parent was cheering for. I'd ask the ref at a volleyball game to make a bad call to see if ti happened again, just for the fun of it.

In all seriousness, I think people that do this are horrible. Which sucks, because I hope to become a hockey ref for the younger age groups...methinks there will be some scary times...

16. AeroJonesy

AeroJonesy IncGamers Member

I don't see what the big deal is. We all know that each parent thinks they are the smartest person in the world. If the parent said the ref was wrong, then he was. Being a parent puts one above the law, I thought that was common knowledge. I mean, God forbid their kid isn't the best kid in the world.

17. Nword

Nword Banned

Hehe...

Amusing memories of an opposing team in soccer and this one sucky, wussy player, his mom was the coach, got so mad cause we were snickering about her son amoungst ourselves... (not girl soccer excuse me...) or at least thats what I think she was talking about :innocent: it's not like I can hear super well, I just know how to play some damn good soccer.

(overweight) Mom as a coach is not a great idea :teeth:

There are also this father who come and beat the coach to death cause his daughter was kicked out of practice because she wasn't working... Not sure if it was local, but I heard a lot about it...

18. CaptJoe213

CaptJoe213 IncGamers Member

I hear about this kinda thing quite often where I'm from, down here high school football is a major religion. We get alot of ref beatings, parents attacking each other, etc, an appalling percentage happening around peewee football. I just dont understand this myself, why do parents get this way? My father was a ref, assisant coach, and did anything else that needed to be done when it came to my sports as a child. He taught me that sports are fun, and can be important, but they are not the be all end all. Most people never make it professionally, many never play again after high school. Their father's fought over their performance as they do for their kids, and yet they played some, and ended up coming home to be trashmen, assistant managers in stores, other ordinary people. They never saw the big leagues, and odds are, most of their kids wont either. Local sports aren't worth injuring someone over. Neither is being a overweight, balding old man bragging about some ridicilous sports moment you had 25 years ago, that very few people give a damn about.

My father always said (and I think he is right) sports is for fun, play your heart out, and have a good time. If this leads to a pro career, great, enjoy it. If not, you will always have the memories of the good times you had. We should allow our children to have a good time as our first priority. If they aren't enjoying themselves, there is no reason to even be out there.

19. Croup

Croup IncGamers Member

Amen my friend. It's how I've dealt with sports all my life. Nice to see others feel the same way as well.

20. th5418

th5418 Banned

Sometimes parents take things too seriously. THey need to calm down when they are at their kids games at school.