Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

Paly equipment options

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by Venar, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Venar

Venar IncGamers Member

Paly equipment options

I have a level ** Zealer and I want to get the best gear eventually (like us all). So this is what i have and what I have in mind to make me better, so please let me know what you think.

What I have:

Templars Might
    Andy Visage or Veil of Steel
    some crafted ammy with leech and few res
    BOTD zerk axe
    HOZ with Pdiam
    IK gloves, belt, and boots
    Raven frost
    other ring with res

now here are my options and what I think...the only way to max my res is to use what i have with the veil...however, I think Andy helm is better...so to solve my problem once and for all about resistances, would it be better to go ahead and trade my Templars armor (with 1807 def) for Guardian Angel (then i would socket it with an Um and upgrade it) then try to get some other equip to make up the difference to get my resistances up to 95? or is the high def that much more important than 95 resistances?

Also, what about the other equipment? what should I be working for? like war travs, tgods, or what would be best?

Thanks in advance!

Venar

2. Gilaim

Gilaim IncGamers Member

1.) i wouldn't use andy's visage. i personally don't like it all that much, and +skills doesn't help a zealot as much as it does for other classes. I'd look for the veil of steel. If you REALLY want to go all out, get a crown of ages with 2 sockets. DR, resist all, toss two ums in there.. what was that about resist problems? :)

2.) speaking of DR, you don't have any. I'd shoot for around 20-30% for pvm or 50% for pvp.

3.) ditch ik boots and get a pair of gore riders. crushing blow and deadly strike are quite nice on a zealot. the only mods from partial set bonuses on ik you need are from gloves/belt. adding in the boots just gives you mf and +barb combat skills :/

4.) templar's or tyrael's are a good choice. However, don't count out the *gasp* almighty duriel's shell. yes, i said it. that armor is probably my favorite in the game. i upgraded mine, and it has around.. 1.5k def. gives 15str, life based on clvl, VERY nice resists, and antifreeze. The antifreeze frees up raven frost. Guardian angel would also be a good choice for the max resist all.

5.) the other things to keep in mind is absorb lightning/fire. hellmouth makes you invincible against the council and their hydras and infector of souls. I can literally tank infector with my sorc using hellmouths :) t-gods is also good to keep you alive vs. souls. so another possible combination is t-gods + hellmouth instead of ik gloves + belt.

6.) Go for 85~90 resist all with guardian angel more than def. if you upgrade guardian angel and have a good holy shield, your def will be around 7k-10k, which is just fine. resists are what nukes most people more than lack of def.

7.) i recommend highlord's for the amulet. deadly strike is VERY nice, and you get lightning resist with it (along with ias). you won't need much life leech using botd zerker axe. botd has big life leech built in. you'll fill your ball in a few hits anyway. mana leech is something to look for if you wanna use an amulet other than highlord's. however, you'll need MAYBE 3% to keep your mana ball full. actually, you don't need any leech at all at high levels - you regen it back fast enough. it's just nice to have against mana burn monsters.

Hope that helps. :)

-Gilaim

3. shade449

shade449 IncGamers Member

Actually botd has 7%mana leech already.

4. Gilaim

Gilaim IncGamers Member

.... yar, didn't notice that in the *sea* of other incredible mods that weapon has. So um.. go for the highlord's :D

-Gilaim

5. Abrojo

Abrojo IncGamers Member

My opinion:

Ammy: Highlords
    Ring1: Ravenfrost
    Ring2:Carrion wind or bk
    Gloves: Dracul or LOH
    Boots: GoreRiders
    Belt: String of ears (not only for the dr but for the life leech)
    Armor: upgraded Shaft or Chains of Honor
    Helm: Crown of Ages, vamp or tal mask if poor
    Shield: HoZ

Passion runeword on weapon switch for physical inmunes.

Btw, if you are more into pvm, sometimes stacking a bit DR is not bad for those situations when you get amp'ed or decrepified.

Also, in my opinion what keeps a pally alive even in the most harsh conditions is life leech so try to get decent here.

6. twn_domn

twn_domn IncGamers Member

Don't trade ur TM into GA

Yes, GA would be a better option 4 resist. However, TM worthes so much more. TM should get u at least 2 GA, if u insist.

7. asdfghjkl

asdfghjkl IncGamers Member

I agree with Abrojo's recommended equip list. I would encourage the use of Dracul's over Laying of Hands, though, becaue of the chance to cast Lifetap. Lifetap = live forever for zealots. With Dracul's, you can instead wear Verdungo's (more life, same dr, some fhr).

DR is nice, but it doesn't do anything if you get Amp dam'ed or Decrep'ed. Both take off at least 50%DR (Amp Dam totally negates DR with -100%), and I doubt most players ready themselves with over 50%DR. Even if they were prepared, I doubt most would get the max: "ber" gaze (28%), "ber" shaft (38%), "ber" stormshield (42%), 15 verdungo's (15%); total = 123%DR
    Maybe it's possible to get even more.

8. Venar

Venar IncGamers Member

sweet! thanks

All are EXCELLENT suggestions that I will take into consideration and strive towards!

THANKS!

9. gzvernon

gzvernon IncGamers Member

so would that actually HEAL you if you get attacked by phsical immunes?

10. Abrojo

Abrojo IncGamers Member

You are right, Dracul + verdungo is a better choice overall considering he is already using botd and damage is not an issue. (unless you always play with a necro and he overrides your curses :p).

LOH would be a more offensive approach imho, maybe better suited for when your weapon isnt as good. In which case i would go for string for the life leech.

The only question left would be what to use in pvp if dont want to be BM and use Dracul. Maybe the unique ogre gauntles ? (if you dont need ias to reach 4fpa, of course, as with botd zerker)

About DR, IIRC amp and decrep work with DR in a similar way as Lower Resist work with resists, you have a cap but you can stack to prevent curses from lowering you. So if for example you are wearing your old 75% dr setup and you get decrepified, you will still have 25%. Of course i don't mean to get weak on other aspects by doing so. I mean more like there is nothing wrong in using shaft, vamp and string together.

Btw for baal runs tgod is an interesting switch in case you face gloams.

11. Nathanjk

Nathanjk IncGamers Member

A very good helm that is often forgot about for zealots is Guillaume's Face. 35% crushing blow along with other things with a fast attack is very nice.

12. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

I'd suggest slightly different than Abrojo, but not much...

Highlord's would be best bet in the amulets, though if you're using BotD, then why more speed?

Ravenfrost is irreplaceable really

For second ring I prefer Wisp Projector for extra help against Gloams, Black Souls etc

For gloves Laying of Hands is best for it's +350%ED against demons

Belt, Thundergod's vigor is nice against gloams and such, but I'd go for String of ears or verdungo's

For boots, nothing beats Goreriders for a zealot

Vampire Gaze or Crown of Ages for helm (why suggest items for the poor if he was looking for the best setup? :) )

For shield HoZ is the second best, not best...Go for high defense ethereal elite paladin shield with minimum of 40% resist all, make an exile out of it. There's your defensive side and there's your immortality in the form of lifetap :)

For a weapon, nothing beats ethereal BotD berserker axe

And the armor, Chains of Honor all the way.

For sockets, if you lack in resists, use Um for helm or HoZ with Um/Pdiamond. Also 1-2 resist all grand charms or several smaller ones are always nice, but you can propably manage just fine without (I know I do).

The abovementioned is my current setup, with just the Exile missing as I'm still hunting for that elusive shield (no, I don't want offers for one...)

13. Abrojo

Abrojo IncGamers Member

Well, thats what i think its great about 1.10, the huge amount of possible gear variations being all good just a matter of tastes.

Highlords for the Deadly strike.

Well the problem is that it hasnt been specified if its pvp or pvm setup.
    I say this cause of the LOH and Chains of Honor.

Yeah forgot about exile (doh), dracul is still a very valid choice though, same as LOH. With a botd i would go dracul cause botd with Highlords/Goreriders already pack enough punch, but thats just my taste.

Btw pi's? also passion?

14. Borlag

Borlag IncGamers Member

I don't use a switch for PI's, I have a Buriza as switch against IM :)

Generally I handle PI's with the help of my merc who's equipped with Reaper's Toll, Upgraded Shaftstop and Tal Rasha's mask. I barely ever need to look after him, and the decrepify helps me kill faster otherwise too than just against PI's.

As for the ones that has too high PhysRes%, I use vengeance at lvl17+skills. My skills aren't exactly that common as I play alone normally (SP games with /players 8 all the way), though occasionally I go play in TCP/IP games, I just can't be bothered with all the problems in realms (servers down, duping sprees, kids who don't know how to behave etc)

20 zeal
    20 sacrifice
    20 fanatism
    20 holy shield
    20 vengeance

that's the goal for my guy, currently he's at HS 17 and vengeance 17, rest are maxed.

edit addition:

was just thinking about the amulet, and correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there an amulet with % chance to cast Amplify damage? Atma's Scarab iirc? That might be a real good option also for the PI killing, as with zealot's swinging speed it's bound to activate pretty often. Heh infact, I think I'll test this once I get home (yea, at work now, but atleast I can post here :) )

15. asdfghjkl

asdfghjkl IncGamers Member

As long as there is no one else spamming curses, Lifetap is my best friend (for my zealot that is).

For weapons, yes a botd berserker axe is awesome. Beast berserker axe is also awesome. Doom berserker axe is also awesome. I use a "Lo" Azurewrath for pvm. It kills anything (except Stone Skin, Physical Immune, Magic Resistant Super Uniques). Super fast, and that extra DS from Lo is sweet.

Gloves for pvp, I use Magnus' Skin. It doesn't have uber stats, but adds 100AR and some fire resist. Steelrend would be nice, if you don't need any additional IAS. For a completely OW-free pvp, I use IK gloves, belt, and boots. Bunch of nice stats on the items and from the set bonus (lots of defense and AR, 25%IAS, 25%FHR).

Highlord's is probably the only amulet a zealot should ever use. Maybe Metalgrid against a 50k def barb.

Personally, I hate Exile. Lifetap is uber in pvm and in pvp. I find it very difficult to beat Lifetap in pvp.

16. MithrandirX

MithrandirX IncGamers Member

I know I have posted my pally before, but I am proud of him.

Edmond_Dantes (Level 90)

Guardian Angel (Um)
    1.08 Vampire Gaze (Um)
    Herald of Zak (Um)
    Dracul's Grasp
    Gore Riders
    Highlord's Ammy
    Ravenfrost
    Rare Dual-leech 7 dex + AR ring
    String of Ears
    Ethereal BotD Zerker Axe (379%)
    Annihilus (1/20/12/7)

Buriza on weapon switch

My pally has 90 resist all in hell, max blocking, 1600 life (390ish vitality I think) around 14000 defense with holy shield, about 7700 attack rating, and does around 6500 damage with a 4 frame attack. I believe that is somewhere in the range of 36000 damage per second. (6.3 zeal attacks per second). I currently use this character as my DC killer. In a 1 player game, he tanks the clone in just over 30 seconds, without using a potion or dodging any attacks. The zealot is quite obviously the best 1.1 melee build in the game.

Note: If you can't get a 1.08 gaze, then don't use gaze. (8/8 leech and 25% dr is pretty darn tough to beat in a helm) Also an um just adds icing to the cake.

Note #2: Dracul's Grasp are hands-down the best pally gloves. No doubt about it. No contest at all. When lifetap triggers, which happens every couple seconds, you are COMPLETELY INVINCIBLE. NOTHING CAN KILL YOU WHILE YOU ZEAL. N O T H I N G. Not packs of hell gloams. Not the Clone. Even without lifetap, I have about 30 life leech. I can't remember the last time he died.

Note #3: Incidentally, the BotD eth zerker axe is very nice, but there are MANY great zealot weapons out there. IMO, the weapon is not nearly as important as Dracul's gloves, and having high defensive stats. (especially resists!)

Final note: All your stat points should be in vitality, by the way. Just put enough in STR and DEX to use your equipment, keeping in mind the added stats given by your items.

Mith

17. Abrojo

Abrojo IncGamers Member

Heh yeah atma is nice but you would be overriding the life tap so it would be a good option if you switched to it in middle fight, something not very practical.

Actually i am using Magnus skin the few times i pvp since i dont have a steelrend in ladder, yet :p

About vengeance, well i think there are better options (like the passives or Defiance if pvp) but thats another topic, not gear, and shouldnt be brought here :p

btw, i agree on the life tap thing. Same with smiters using lacerator for the amp damage. Its amazing how we all used to complain about atma's using zons but now everbody uses dracul and lacerator...

Btw, for entertainment purposes, an ethereal perf Death Cleaver gives botd a run for its money in terms of damage (factoring in the deadly strike). Depends on the rest of your gear. I think i would still use a botd though because of the other mods, yet the fact that everybody uses botd is kinda of a turn off.